• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Now here's a weird one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

adept1

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2017
Ever since I switched to 3mg juice down from 6mg (same brand and flavor), I am getting ravaged with mosquito bites! I've never had a major problem before, and I've been living here 14 years. Of course there's lots of other possible reasons for it, but right now the correlation is there.

I'll be switching back to 6mg soon anyway, so I'll update again in the future. I know it's unlikely this is the cause, but just wanted to put it out there!

Reactions: Letitia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Nicotine is a pretty powerful insecticide. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it protected you from mosquito bites by oozing from your pores. People used to plant tobacco plants around their gardens for protection. :)

If you are into that kind of thing: Organic Pest Control for Organic Gardening - Natural Insecticides

Anna

That's pretty old. Neonicotinoids have been shown to affect bee populations and there's a very large push to get that class of insecticide banned. Organic or not, it's been shown to have a detrimental impact on bee colonies.

adept1

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2017
Nicotine is a pretty powerful insecticide. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it protected you from mosquito bites by oozing from your pores. People used to plant tobacco plants around their gardens for protection. :)

If you are into that kind of thing: Organic Pest Control for Organic Gardening - Natural Insecticides

Anna

Yeah, I used to do some gardening and was aware of this. Otherwise it would not have crossed my mind. There’s really so many variables that I’ll never be able to definitively prove this theory, but it’ll be interesting to see what happens!

valerian

Nov 19, 2017
Ever since I switched to 3mg juice down from 6mg (same brand and flavor), I am getting ravaged with mosquito bites! I've never had a major problem before, and I've been living here 14 years. Of course there's lots of other possible reasons for it, but right now the correlation is there.

I'll be switching back to 6mg soon anyway, so I'll update again in the future. I know it's unlikely this is the cause, but just wanted to put it out there!

quite a funny post. well, from personal experience with cigarettes, the ciggie smoke does help to deter mosquitos (not entirely sure if its the smoke itself or the nicotine lol), but i have not had the chance to experiment with vape clouds yet (given the unique local difficulties in doing so), but i do have a few secluded spots that i like to go to at night for some introspection, some of which have an abundance of sandflies and/or mozzies. will do some DIY experiments soon and hopefully drop an update here hahaha.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread