Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
the 18350 is a 800 mAh, unless I'm corrected.

Corrected. I've got 6 18350 2 no name brand that are "listed" as 900mah, 2 Efest @ 800mah and a pair of AW IMR that are 750mah I believe it is. I know I ran one 18350 from friday evening till saturday afternoon. Was very impressed so decided I didn't need to go with the 18650 unless I'm gonna be out a long long time.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Hello,

I'll ordered mine today but I'll get it in nearly one month ( China registered airmail :blush: ).

I'll try to explain how you can mesure the voltage and see if you are in RMS or AVG :

Set the device to 3V, if you are in AVG mode, the DC multimeter will give you... 3V, because it see 6V 50% of the time.

In RMS you must mesure 2,12V ( 3 x 0,707 ), I won't explain the maths here because I know how to do it but can explain it, I am French and my english is not good enough to explain maths formulas lol :p

I'm gonna give this a try. Thanks Kevin.....

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
I think the difference is PWM (num1) and non-PWM (num2). PWM pulses at twice the voltage, 50% of the time, to "equal out" to the voltage you set it for. But since it's putting out twice the voltage, it can cause it to be way off. Hence why I didn't care for the gripper, as it was strictly PWM and you couldn't turn up the voltage as high or you'd burn the coils.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Seems like the more I learn the dumber I gets.. LOL:toast: to all those who have helped with this thread. I do hope anyone that receives one of these will jump in with their honest opinion of the device. With so many different names it can become confusing. The only reason I know which one GiMike has is because we got both of them from the same B/M shop.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
I think the difference is PWM (num1) and non-PWM (num2). PWM pulses at twice the voltage, 50% of the time, to "equal out" to the voltage you set it for. But since it's putting out twice the voltage, it can cause it to be way off. Hence why I didn't care for the gripper, as it was strictly PWM and you couldn't turn up the voltage as high or you'd burn the coils.

Fell the same way about my vmax.

KevinNash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2009
I think the difference is PWM (num1) and non-PWM (num2).

Nope GIMike, both are PWM because, no PWM = no RMS ( Root Mean Square ), you must have pulse and frequency to calculate RMS.

RMS mode just change the voltage displayed value to a bigger one than AVG mode for the same voltage output.

So if you set 3V in AVG mode, you'll have the same hit as 4,24V in RMS mode, by the way you can do this test too to see if you are in RMS or AVG ;)

In both cases, the multimeter will give you 3V, because of the PWM.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Ok I tried the multi meter. Mode no1. The meter would not settle out if auto ranging. So vms. Mode no2 the meter would bounce some but got around 2.8 volts dc when all test? Were done with the device set to 3 volts. Mode no2 it is then. I've played a bit since I got home and compared with the itaste and twist and the sb. I got to vote for no2. Again thanks KevinNash and all the others who helped with this. I never dreamed for $50.00 US it would have all these features. Next time I get a chance to visit the B/M shop I'll be sure to pass this information along. Sorry using my phone for this or I would mention ALL the members who helped out with this.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I don't why the silly buggers didn't just have avg and rms on the display instead of 1 and 2.

From the German website - dodgy Google translation;

I feel the 3-button menu system, despite the double occupancy pleasant and logical than the click orgy of Zmax, just quick access to + / - volt / watt is very convenient.
+ / - Button briefly increases / decreases
in the VV mode, the nominal voltage of 0.1 V between 3.0V and 6.0V
VW mode in the target by 0.5 Watts W between 3.0W and 15W
+ For 2 seconds: display resistance of the evaporator. Partially higher by 0.1 ohms as I measure it with a multimeter
- For 2 seconds: display remaining battery voltage in volts
+ And - button for 2 seconds: switch from VV to VW
+ Hold for 10 seconds: switch from Vavg to Vrms. Vrms recommended. It is NO1 = Vavg, NO2 = Vrms

No. 2 is VRMS

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Agree Dirk. no2 is vrms. I'm sorry if I typed that wrong. I would really like to do a better review without all MY mistakes. Upo. Reflection I would recommend this little (whatever name it goes by) to anyone as a very nice start to vv VW world. I'll be online after I get on site and everything settles down. Maybe a review is in order so new buyers don't have the same confusion that I did. My signature say it all in the first line.

Buxton74

Jul 16, 2012
Swindon, U.K.
Hello,

In RMS you must mesure 2,12V ( 3 x 0,707 ), I won't explain the maths here because I know how to do it but can explain it, I am French and my english is not good enough to explain maths formulas lol :p

The multiplier of 0.7071 is only for finding out the root-mean-square (rms) of a sine wave. PWM in e-cigs is close to a square wave therefore this multiplier does not apply.

I can confirm, as others have done, that mode No1 is V(avg) mode and mode No2 is V(rms) mode.

KevinNash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2009
The multiplier of 0.7071 is only for finding out the root-mean-square (rms) of a sine wave. PWM in e-cigs is close to a square wave therefore this multiplier does not apply.

Sorry, you're wrong, this multiplier apply in the 3V case ;).

It has nothing to do with the sine or square, the value depend of duty cycle ( full voltage cycle in fact ), 0,707 is for 50% ( 0,50 root square= 0,707 ).

That's why I choosed 3V AVG, the PWMs mod use 6V 50 % of the time and 0V 50% of the time.
So 3V AVG x ( root square 0,50=0,707 ) = 2,12V RMS

For another example at 4V AVG, the PWMs mod use 6V 66,6 % of the time and 0V 33,3% of the time.

So 4V AVG x ( root square 0,66=0,812 ) = 3,25V RMS and so on :)

See Equivalent DC voltage of a PWM signal or RMS approximation of Square/PWM signal | Sci.Electronics.Design | Electronics-Related.com

Buxton74

Jul 16, 2012
Swindon, U.K.
Sorry, you're wrong, this multiplier apply in the 3V case ;).

It has nothing to do with the sine or square, the value depend of duty cycle ( full voltage cycle in fact ), 0,707 is for 50% ( 0,50 root square= 0,707 ).

That's why I choosed 3V AVG, the PWMs mod use 6V 50 % of the time and 0V 50% of the time.
So 3V AVG x ( root square 0,50=0,707 ) = 2,12V RMS

For another example at 4V AVG, the PWMs mod use 6V 66,6 % of the time and 0V 33,3% of the time.

So 4V AVG x ( root square 0,66=0,812 ) = 3,25V RMS and so on :)

See Equivalent DC voltage of a PWM signal or RMS approximation of Square/PWM signal | Sci.Electronics.Design | Electronics-Related.com

Whatever. The Factor of 0.7071 is for finding out the RMS value of a Sinusoidal waveform ONLY. It cannot be applied to other waveforms whether uniform or not. I spent three years in Oxford earning my degree that qualifies me as a Sound Engineer and, believe it or not, this is something I am well qualified to tell you. I repeat, the 0.7071 factor is ONLY for a SINE WAVE!

AC Electricity : RMS Quantities

KevinNash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2009
I spent three years in Oxford earning my degree that qualifies me as a Sound Engineer and, believe it or not, this is something I am well qualified to tell you.

No offense but did you learned to read at Oxford or before ? I suppose, so read my post again and the links, they are specifics to DC PWM and RMS.

Don't get mad about the 0.707 value, it's just in the 3V case... My formula is right, you, Oxford or not.

That also explain why AVG hit more than AVS setting.

My last talking on this subject just google " PWM RMS " and you'll see I am right...

I am not here to teach, just to inform, and that take me a while, english is not common for french people :D

In any case, I think we can all agree, no matter how you arithmatize it, num1 is AVG and num2 is RMS :)

You're right, this is what really matter :p

Last edited:

Buxton74

Jul 16, 2012
Swindon, U.K.
No offense but did you learned to read at Oxford or before ? I suppose, so read my post again and the links, they are specifics to DC PWM and RMS.

Don't get mad about the 0.707 value, it's just in the 3V case... My formula is right you, Oxford or not.

That also explain why AVG hit more than AVS setting.

My last talking on this subject just google " PWM RMS " and you'll see I am right...

I am not here to teach, just to inform, and that take me a while, english is not common for french people :D

You're right, this is what really matter :p

OK, I understand what you're getting at now... in just the single case of 3V. I thought you were implying that it is a general factor to use for all cases. Please forgive my initial response. Coincidentally, 0.7071 is the factor used to get the RMS value of any sine wave, regardless of frequency or amplitude, and can be used in all cases. I initally thought that you had confused this fact with PWM. :oops:

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
And please,use it a couple weeks before launching an ECF review,its more professional :)

If you read the title, it's not an actual review. It's a discusson thread. He was debating on which device to purchase. Also the reason why it's in APV discussion and not listed in the review forum. This just happens to have incremental "reviews" every so often of how things have performed. It's not strictly a review thread though. Seems a bit odd to wait 2 weeks before even asking questions about the device. "What does this button..." "You haven't waited 2 weeks, come back later" Know what I mean? Plus, his 30 exclamation points in the title obviously showed this wasn't a professional only discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread