• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

NYC vaporers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jangler

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Las Vegas NV
New user... Only approx 3 weeks old. LI NY. I used to go work in the city until last year. I work from home now. I surely don't miss the subway and my long commute.

Great to be able to vape in the house now. I used to smoke outside even when it's stormy (rain or snow). All that is done and over with. I'm allowed to vape at friends house too. Couple of them hated the smell of analogs. They're glad I switched.

Other smoker friends know about it and are considering.

J

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
I vape at work and no one cares (I work in Queens). A lot of people have heard about the e-cig and some of my coworkers have even seen em for sale in malls but I don't think many people have actually witnessed others vaping that much.

I have still not smoked them openly in restaurants persay but I do vape in the public restrooms and women keep laughing at me once I joke around and tell em its a "fake cigarette"

Last edited:

Cloud9Smoking.com

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Being a new yorker all my life, I am very proud. NYC is the Mecca of trends, so I am surprised I don't see more of us jumping on the healthier as to smoke. In fact, by the looks I get on the train lead me to believe that I am the one. Any other NYC vaporers out there?

I will jump on the bandwagon here as a NYC vaper. I vape everywhere including the subway, Post Office, restaurants etc. I can't say that I see e-cigarettes everywhere but I do occasionally bump into a fellow vaper here.

It is up to us, the pioneers to introduce e-cigarettes whereever we go and it will spread :). I usually keep a few extra kits in my car because vaping in public often leads to sales and I am constantly giving out my business card to interested, potential customers.

eplanet

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
hey, Long Island here...and yes it is rare to see someone with an e-cig,
spikey started a long island vapers club we had 1 meeting and plan to have 2 every month...just e-smokers getting together. pretty cool...

here is a link:
Long Island, New York - Vapers Club

there were only 8 people at the last meeting, but new people are going to the next one for sure...

lachesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2009
NJ, USA
Well, I'm an ex-nyc'er. (used to live in Queens and Long Island before - now in Edgewater, NJ) - still commute to the city everyday... but so far, I haven't met any vapors around where I work (near Lincoln center), or around my neighborhood. (Maybe because they are all vaping inside? ;))

I do try to avoid any confrontations where it's forbidden to smoke, so I haven't really vaped in public, except on the street and some discreet location at work that I now call my own vaping area.

ChaoticKinesis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
NYC
I'm in NYC and just got my 901 yesterday. Waiting on my sampler kit from puresmoker now. The carts it came with were awful and ran out right away so I haven't actively started e-smoking.

I did however demonstrate it to my co-workers at the office and my boss got freaked out at first: "are you smoking in the office?" He was OK with it after I explained and had me demonstrate it to everyone else.

Still have yet to run into any vapers. Look forward to seeing more of you.

-David

Hello all, I'm from Long Island but do work in the City.

I am a retired NYC Police Officer of 20 years. 15 of those years I worked in the transit system.

With regards to vaping on the subway, here are my thoughts and I highly reccommend that you do not provoke the police on the issue.

The NYC Transit system does not follow the NYS "No Smoking Ban". Instead they have their own set of rules called NYC Rules and regulations. The "No Smoking" rules fall under section 1050.7 (Disordelry Conduct) subdivision B. It reads as follows:

Section 1050.7

Disorderly conduct.

No person on or in any facility or conveyance shall:

(B) smoke or carry an open flame or lighted match, cigar, cigarette, pipe or torch;

So far so good right?

Now let us proceed.

The Transit Adjudication Bureau which handles the fines and summonses issued for NYCRR Violations is a KANGAROO COURT. That means that to fight a summons you need to go in there with OJ Simpson type lawyers. I am talking from my 15 years experience working as a Transit Cop.

Now let's look at the definition of "Smoking" and "Smoke" as per dictionary.com. Pay attention to the wording in BOLD

SMOKE

–noun 1. the visible vapor and gases given off by a burning or smoldering substance, esp. the gray, brown, or blackish mixture of gases and suspended carbon particles resulting from the combustion of wood, peat, coal, or other organic matter.
2.something resembling this, as vapor or mist, flying particles, etc.

SMOKING

–verb (used without object)
11.to give off or emit smoke, as in burning.
12.to give out smoke offensively or improperly, as a stove.
13.to send forth steam or vapor, dust, or the like.
14.to draw into the mouth and puff out the smoke of tobacco or the like, as from a pipe or cigarette.

Now....

Based on this definition from the dictionary, you may be found guilty in that kangaroo court.

Anybody from TAB court can pull out a dictionary and focus on the definitions as stated above and technically, vaping your e-cig on the subway, you can be found guilty and issued a fine.

Now let's talk about the cops. NYC Transit cops are a rare kind. If you gave them a hard time or even argue the case with them, they can and will give you a summons and tell you to plea your case in court. Technically all they need to do is state that they observed what appears to be smoke. It will then be your case to argue and fight in court. They will not argue or debate with you in the subway about it.

Many of these cops are young, fresh out of the Academy and don't know any better. However, I will highly reccommend that if they ask you to put it out, then do so. Feel free to educate them on the e-cig but comply with their request. If you start to argue with them about it, then they can order you to put it out. If you continue to argue with them then you are taking the chance of either getting a summons or locked up (Yes they can arrest you on minor violations). If you cause a scene and argue with him/her, now you can get summoned or locked up for disorderly conduct because now at this point you are disobeying a lawful order and causing public alarm.

Just because one officer says it's ok to vape does not mean another is going to say it's ok also.

It is in my opinion to all NYC Vapors to not provoke the cops and be the first test case.

I am always in the City conducting training sessions and use the subways and I don't vape on the subways. Sure I can vape, and when questioned by an officer, show my NYPD ID Card and there will be no further questions asked, but I won't even think about it.

The NYC Transit system and it's rules have many "grey" areas that can be interpreted in different ways.

For example, did you know that you can get a summons for carrying a open liquid container? That means that technically you can get a summons for carrying a cup of coffee or even a container of orange juice or an open can of soda! Yep it's true.

So in conclusion, I am just offering some advice. You can feel free to do what you want, however I would not want to be the first test case and God forbid get my stash confiscated because it appears to be some type of parapenelia.

Jayisbored

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Wow that reminds me of when i was 15 and used to ride on the trains for fun. A transit cop saw me and my friends smoking on the train. When the train doors opened I ran and he proceeded to chase me all the way outside the station. He tackled me outside on the concrete put a knee on the back of my head and then "gently" put handcuffs on. Wow did i get punished for that by my mom lol

Wow that reminds me of when i was 15 and used to ride on the trains for fun. A transit cop saw me and my friends smoking on the train. When the train doors opened I ran and he proceeded to chase me all the way outside the station. He tackled me outside on the concrete put a knee on the back of my head and then "gently" put handcuffs on. Wow did i get punished for that by my mom lol

Oh Shoot....That was you???? Sorry...

:lol:

Jayisbored

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Brooklyn NY
Hehe....I'm sure you had your moments if ya worked in the 80s/90s where "protocol" was a bit more loose than it is now.

I got really lucky he didnt bring me in just made me call my mom to pick me up and gave me a ticket. What a way for my mom to find out i took up smoking! What a little punk i was racing the trains on the tracks/spray painting/jumping the turnstiles among other things :evil:

NY JETS

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
NYC
www.CitySmoker.com
SI here, still NYC for now. Been vaping all over the island since Jan. as well as Brooklyn and Manhattan. Have only seen a few other e-smokers in the area where it seems 80% of the people are smokers.

Was at a bar in midtown a few weeks ago and my buddy took my ecig and started blowing vapor all over the place, until this guy comes over and grabs it from him, rips off the cartridge and throws it on the floor. He proceeded to flash us a PBA card really quick which was amusing enough. I explained it to him very calmly even though he knew enough to throw the cartridge but not the entire e-cig itself, a white 901 btw.

Hope to see some of you guys around sometime-

Mike

Hehe....I'm sure you had your moments if ya worked in the 80s/90s where "protocol" was a bit more loose than it is now.

I got really lucky he didnt bring me in just made me call my mom to pick me up and gave me a ticket. What a way for my mom to find out i took up smoking! What a little punk i was racing the trains on the tracks/spray painting/jumping the turnstiles among other things :evil:

When I was a kid, I got busted smoking on the train once to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread