Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/07/health/pleasure-factor-may-override-new-tobacco-rules.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Rarely has the concept of happiness caused so much consternation in public health circles.

Buried deep in the federal government’s voluminous new tobacco regulations is a little-known cost-benefit calculation that public health experts see as potentially poisonous: the happiness quotient. It assumes that the benefits from reducing smoking — fewer early deaths and diseases of the lungs and heart — have to be discounted by 70 percent to offset the loss in pleasure that smokers suffer when they give up their habit.

Experts say that calculation wipes out most of the economic benefits from the regulations and could make them far more vulnerable to legal challenges from the tobacco industry. And it could have a perverse effect, experts said. The more successful regulators are at reducing smoking, the more it hurts them in the final economic accounting.

Very interesting read.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Hmmm. It is interesting but the document which is linked is the 'impact doc' - discussed in the regulations thread started by pamdis. It's the RFA (SBA) where the FDA has to 'take it into consideration' but as far as I could find out, has no real enforcement of the intent of the RFA. The SBA can act as a friend of the court (for small businesses) but that's about it. There is not one mention of 'happiness' in the doc, although it may be in the legislation that authorized it.

And I think they overstate the case how some, evidently, those who want regulation, say that the bar is set too high, but again, imo, it's only a virtual bar and one that the FDA says in that doc and the deeming doc that basically, they've done their 'due diligence' in regards to RFA and the Executive Order 12866 (Clinton) which also deals with economic impact.

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/jsp/Utilities/EO_12866.pdf

From one of my earlier posts that shows this:

pg185:
"The agency believes that this proposed rule would be an economically significant
regulatory action as defined by Executive Order 12866."

pg186:
"The Regulatory Flexibility Act requires agencies to analyze regulatory options that would
minimize any significant impact of a rule on small entities. FDA has determined that this
proposed rule would have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small
entities."

The FDA basically justifies all of this by:

pg187:
"The proposed deeming action differs from most public health regulations in that it is an
enabling regulation. In other words, in addition to directly applying the substantive requirements
of chapter IX of the FD&C Act and its implementing regulations to proposed deemed tobacco
products, it enables FDA to issue further public health regulations related to such products. We
expect that asserting our authority over these tobacco products will enable us to propose further
regulatory action in the future as appropriate, and those actions will have their own costs and
benefits."

--

One quote from the article - don't know the level of certainty regarding it but it's a question someone asked in another thread - when will the final rule happen?

"The economists’ assessment of the agency’s approach is part of a flood of public comments — more than 69,000 as of Wednesday — submitted to the F.D.A. on the tobacco regulations. The rules are supposed to become final by next summer, and experts anticipate that legal challenges will soon follow."

I also anticipate.. with great hope.. the legal challenges that will follow :)

Thanks for posting!

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
As a math geek, the title of this article made me chuckle :D

On Wednesday, Professor Chaloupka and other prominent economists, including a Nobel Prize winner, publicly took issue with the analysis. In a paper submitted to the F.D.A. as the period for public comment on the regulations neared its end on Friday, the group said the happiness quotient was way too high and should be changed before the regulations take effect.

The happiness quotient? Do they mean the happiness difference quotient?? Is that the "calculus" the title is referring to???

:lol:

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Hmmm. It is interesting but the document which is linked is the 'impact doc' - discussed in the regulations thread started by pamdis. It's the RFA (SBA) where the FDA has to 'take it into consideration' but as far as I could find out, has no real enforcement of the intent of the RFA. The SBA can act as a friend of the court (for small businesses) but that's about it. There is not one mention of 'happiness' in the doc, although it may be in the legislation that authorized it.

And I think they overstate the case how some, evidently, those who want regulation, say that the bar is set too high, but again, imo, it's only a virtual bar and one that the FDA says in that doc and the deeming doc that basically, they've done their 'due diligence' in regards to RFA and the Executive Order 12866 (Clinton) which also deals with economic impact.

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/jsp/Utilities/EO_12866.pdf

From one of my earlier posts that shows this:

pg185:
"The agency believes that this proposed rule would be an economically significant
regulatory action as defined by Executive Order 12866."

pg186:
"The Regulatory Flexibility Act requires agencies to analyze regulatory options that would
minimize any significant impact of a rule on small entities. FDA has determined that this
proposed rule would have a significant economic impact on a substantial number of small
entities."

The FDA basically justifies all of this by:

pg187:
"The proposed deeming action differs from most public health regulations in that it is an
enabling regulation. In other words, in addition to directly applying the substantive requirements
of chapter IX of the FD&C Act and its implementing regulations to proposed deemed tobacco
products, it enables FDA to issue further public health regulations related to such products. We
expect that asserting our authority over these tobacco products will enable us to propose further
regulatory action in the future as appropriate, and those actions will have their own costs and
benefits."

--

One quote from the article - don't know the level of certainty regarding it but it's a question someone asked in another thread - when will the final rule happen?

"The economists’ assessment of the agency’s approach is part of a flood of public comments — more than 69,000 as of Wednesday — submitted to the F.D.A. on the tobacco regulations. The rules are supposed to become final by next summer, and experts anticipate that legal challenges will soon follow."

I also anticipate.. with great hope.. the legal challenges that will follow :)

Thanks for posting!
How on earth could the agency legitimately read and honestly consider all 70,000+ comments, by next summer?

Especially the ones with attachments or references to studies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

The happiness quotient? Do they mean the happiness difference quotient?? Is that the "calculus" the title is referring to???

Don't ask me. I read that article twice... No clue. :facepalm:

I was hoping someone here would help me understand this.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
That was my point... No way is it possible. But I'm convinced the FDA will find a way to make it "happen".

Like that nasty clause on the side of the submit form.

re: will be reviewed by angentcies (not by FDA only) and that some agencies might redact, or withold certain parts of submissions or the entire submissions such as rude or foul language or whatever they may think is mass mailed by groups .... Etc...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Like that nasty clause on the side of the submit form.

re: will be reviewed by angentcies (not by FDA only) and that some agencies might redact, or withold certain parts of submissions or the entire submissions such as rude or foul language or whatever they may think is mass mailed by groups .... Etc...
Which is why I didn't understand FTV. Or the "I am an adult consumer of premium cigars..."

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Interesting link, Katya.

Hm.... can somebody please jog my memory... I have seen this before....

The idea of lost happiness is new for health regulation. But it has surfaced as part of a longstanding requirement — first codified under President Bill Clinton — that every set of federal regulations with more than a $100 million effect on the economy needs an analysis to prevent the adoption of regulations with high costs and low benefits.

..and I have seen that a large part of the so-called "cost of smoking" - which is written up in dollars and cents by the health taliban - is, in fact, a mysterious "cost to society" such as lost free babysitting by a grandparent (uhm.. do all grandparents do that, with all our forced mobility nowadays? Is there a law forcing grandparents to offer free babysitting? And when did "society" start to pick up the tab for babysitting?) or as grief by relatives when a smoker falls ill or dies. At whatever age. Like when aunt Nora dies peacefully in her bed at 103 and her death is "diagnosed" as '"smoking-related" because she smoked a few packs of cigarettes once, in her youth.

Of course, when it is pointed out to the health taliban that smoking actually SAVES money in old-age pension and medical care (due to smokers dying earlier), they whine and cry that you cannot put a price tag on a human life. Although they do precisely that when calculating their mysterious "cost to society".

I have seen this before. This subject has been discussed here before. Can somebody please point me to that place?

And yes, I do agree that being ostracized and treated like crap, yes, that does come with a cost. Happiness usually translates into motivation and productivity. Whereas unhappiness translates into the exact opposite. There you have your "cost to society".

/edit:
Auntie Nora - courtesy of Christopher Snowdon : The EU's 'lifestyle policy' (caution: reading this blogpost will make your hair stand on end... )

Last edited:

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Which is why I didn't understand FTV. Or the "I am an adult consumer of premium cigars..."

Th difference is that FTV's comments each have an individual's story within them, whereas the "I am an adult cigar smoker.." comments are almost identical to each other. Thus, they have just cause to disregard all but one of those cigar smoker comments, but they have to treat the FTV comments as individuals because they're each fundamentally different. I'm not sure the maker of those cigar petitions was aware they would be disregarded if they are identical, I know I wasn't aware of that before...

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
They can't. They are supposed to read and evaluate all the attached studies... :)
Sure they can read them all. There's no accountability mechanism in place to prove they didn't.

It's like all the nonsensical emails I get forwarded from my boss that are addressed to him. You bet, I read each and every one of them. :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I'm totally creeped out by the idea of the FDA taking measurements on their notion of my "happiness". Maybe it's just me but it sounds Orwellian.

They seem to be having difficulty grasping the several simple and very tangible variables related to ecigs and my health - I really don't want their fingers in my joy.

It's for your own good, Aubs. ;)

And yes, it is Orwellian. :D

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA

Math geek here as well (as you can see from the avatar!), and I assumed it was about smoking and kidney stones. I guess we'll never know...

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
An update:

www. nytimes.com /2014/08/09/opinion/a-misguided-tobacco-proposal.html?mabReward=RI%3A18&module=WelcomeBackModal&contentCollection=Middle%20East&region=FixedCenter&action=click&src=recg&pgtype=article&_r=0

Economists at the agency have recommended that the benefits smokers gain if they quit smoking, such as fewer tobacco-caused deaths and diseases, must be discounted by 70 percent to offset the loss in pleasure suffered when they give up their habit.

You don’t have to be a genius to see that this turns common sense on its head. Most smokers who shake their addiction, often after multiple attempts to do so, are probably way more pleased that they were successful than crestfallen over the pleasure they have lost.

The agency would be wise to abandon this approach before issuing a final rule.
:mad:

So, clearly, according to NYT, virtue is its own reward. We're not supposed to be happy. Quit or die. :facepalm:

Way to go, NYT.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
An update:

www. nytimes.com /2014/08/09/opinion/a-misguided-tobacco-proposal.html?mabReward=RI%3A18&module=WelcomeBackModal&contentCollection=Middle%20East®ion=FixedCenter&action=click&src=recg&pgtype=article&_r=0

:mad:

So, clearly, according to NYT, virtue is its own reward. We're not supposed to be happy. Quit or die. :facepalm:

Way to go, NYT.

Note how they said "probably" - which is code for "we really have no idea what we're talking about so we'll just take a stab in the dark here..."
:glare:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread