Oil vs. Non-oil flavors (Is the oil fully soluble?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
I've gone to my local Walgreens and Walmart and got all I need for making some delicious homemade E-juice, but I'm at a loss as whether to use oil or non-oil based flavor

I got some PG but I'm planning on using mostly 70VG/30PG.

My concern is that glycerin is slightly polar because it has a lot of hydroxy groups on itself. Have you guys had any issues mixing oils with glycerin or does it fully dissociate?

Also, any good suggestions on some fruity flavors :)

Thanks

djbishybish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2011
Kansas
Oils have been debated for a while. They can be used, yes...but some report issues with hardware. Others report possible health issues. It's all truly unknown.

The majority of people use water soluable, non oil-based flavorings. But there have been several users who have been using oils for years and have had no problems. It's up to you to decide.

Dan Deej

May 23, 2012
Manchester, UK
I personally wouldn't vape the oil. Flavourart.it in Italy have been commissioning safety tests for all their flavours and advise against vaping anything oil based ( they also do a lot of stuff for food). You can find other info by going to their main site and clicking through to the english language shop site. Beware the American copycat site as they pluralise FAs name in their URL but are not affiliated.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Provari via the dark side of the force

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
If the OP is using oil based flavoring in VG, it is a absolute bear to mix. Getting PG in there really helps. I know it does for mint oils.

You are correct, oils and a high % of Vg are tough. I misread the op's second post and thought he was adding more pg to the pg in his flavoring. What can I say but the summer heat has fried my brain cells. :oops:

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
Nevermind, my friend (who mixes his own stuff too) just gave me some absolutely brilliant smelling + tasting oil based flavors (for pastries and stuff) from the local Polish deli. I don't know what to compare it to since I never used Lorann oils, but the flavors are so real and vivid it's ridiculous (orange flavor just explodes in your mouth and actually tastes like real oranges). I really don't like going over 50% with PG but hopefully this oil (vegetable oil) will dissolve fully in the liquid.

Last edited:

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Whoa, vegetable oils should not be going into a juice. That's the type of oil that folks get worried about and it has nothing to do with BP's or CP's, but what it does to lungs.

When I'm talking about oils it is mint oils, the occasional orange oil, or at the outside, oils extracted from coffee beans or teas from soaking them in PG.

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
Whoa, vegetable oils should not be going into a juice. That's the type of oil that folks get worried about and it has nothing to do with BP's or CP's, but what it does to lungs.

When I'm talking about oils it is mint oils, the occasional orange oil, or at the outside, oils extracted from coffee beans or teas from soaking them in PG.

Are there any issues with vegetable oil? I have this one small 5ml flavor flask with it and it works great and actually "fixed" some of the flavors I didn't like previously but I haven't read about any health issues, guess I'll start googlin'

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
I found some information on inhaling vegetable oil although some of it maybe outdated, and just for the record, I'm not trying to cherrypick any sources :) From the information I've found, it seems that vegetable oil doesn't actually cause liquid pneumonia, such as suspected in this post on ECF, but it does seem to induce liquid pneumonia-like symptoms by creating a mucous layer on your lungs that your body doesn't have time to expel if you are vaping only oil-flavored liquids. I came to this conclusion because pneumonia is an infection but oil shouldn't be causing any infections especially since there is VG in the liquid, which is bacteriostatic, and in some liquids PGA, which kills the bacteria outright.

"Oily inhalation (most often of vegetable oil with menthol) is used for therapeutic and prophylactic purposes; a thin, oily film is formed on the mucosa of the upper respiratory tract, which inhibits absorption of various toxic substances and promotes their expectoration." The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1979)

"Most vegetable oil mists are biologically inert and are therefore considered to be nuisance particulates. Vegetable oil mists seem to have little adverse effect on the lungs and do not produce significant organic disease or toxic effects when exposures are kept under reasonable control" OSHA - [ACGIH 1991]

"What are the symptoms?

Symptoms of pneumonia caused by bacteria usually come on quickly. They may include:

Cough. You will likely cough up mucus (sputum) from your lungs." - WebMD

"What causes pneumonia?

Germs called bacteria or viruses usually cause pneumonia.

Pneumonia usually starts when you breathe the germs into your lungs. You may be more likely to get the disease after having a cold or the flu. These illnesses make it hard for your lungs to fight infection, so it is easier to get pneumonia. Having a long-term, or chronic, disease like asthma, heart disease, cancer, or diabetes also makes you more likely to get pneumonia. " - WebMD

Last edited:

favor1

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2011
traveling about
If I was doing DIY juice (which I don't) I wouldn't even consider an oil based flavor for inhalation. Just sayin....

Imo, I think that in moderation there shouldn't be a problem; your lungs can expel liquids like PG and VG pretty quickly and they are similar to oil in regards to their chemical composition, so in small amounts I think there wouldn't be any serious mucous build-up in the lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread