Ok I need help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve been vaping since 2011. Been through a few dozen tanks and mods etc. I’m sure you understand. I’m having a huge problem with all of the sub tanks everyone else loves these days. I thought it was the tanks. But it just can’t be the tanks that all have the same problem so it has to be me. So someone please help!

In the past year I’ve purchased a herkales tank, a cascade tank and now a prince tank(q4 0.4 ohm coil). With me, they all have the same problem. I vape for 6-12 hours and start getting dry hits. From that point on I’m babying the coil and vaping at or below the low range of recommended just to not get burnt hits. Never get any crackle that sounds so nice from a saturated coil. All three tanks, always dry hits within first day.

I only vape 50/50 juice. I fully saturate a new coil and let sit for at least 15 minutes and ramp up to a desired level. Vape is amazing for a short time, then not so good, then terrible. I’ve tried closing the air holes for more vacuum with little to no effect. Poking holes in the cotton and many other things.

I have a uwell Se-1 with crown 2 coils that is amazing. Works 100%. Can chain vape at max level for over a week on a coil. Only coils are becoming hard to find. Hence my quest for a replacement. Only apparently I have some sort of vape problem I can’t put my finger on with these new tanks.

Please help!!!

Reactions: stols001

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
All over. Reputable sources online in Canada as well as local vendors. But again, all coils I’ve ever gotten for my se1 have been great. Also my aspire triton has never let me down but it doesn’t quite “do it” for me. I’m doing something wrong, I’m sure, I just can’t fathom what. After 8 years of vaping you’d think I know how to vape.

Lol, no my tank is not empty. But I do appreciate the back to basics approach. Clearly the problem is me and I’m doing something wrong. I’d like to think I at least have the basics down so it’s a bit embarrassing lol. The coils just seem dry, plain and simple and I don’t know why.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I’ve been vaping since 2011. Been through a few dozen tanks and mods etc. I’m sure you understand. I’m having a huge problem with all of the sub tanks everyone else loves these days. I thought it was the tanks. But it just can’t be the tanks that all have the same problem so it has to be me. So someone please help!

In the past year I’ve purchased a herkales tank, a cascade tank and now a prince tank(q4 0.4 ohm coil). With me, they all have the same problem. I vape for 6-12 hours and start getting dry hits. From that point on I’m babying the coil and vaping at or below the low range of recommended just to not get burnt hits. Never get any crackle that sounds so nice from a saturated coil. All three tanks, always dry hits within first day.

I only vape 50/50 juice. I fully saturate a new coil and let sit for at least 15 minutes and ramp up to a desired level. Vape is amazing for a short time, then not so good, then terrible. I’ve tried closing the air holes for more vacuum with little to no effect. Poking holes in the cotton and many other things.

I have a uwell Se-1 with crown 2 coils that is amazing. Works 100%. Can chain vape at max level for over a week on a coil. Only coils are becoming hard to find. Hence my quest for a replacement. Only apparently I have some sort of vape problem I can’t put my finger on with these new tanks.

Please help!!!

Make sure you NEVER vape the tank so low that ANY of the cotton on the side of the coils is exposed to air. If this happens you may get dry hits and need to re-prime the coil.

If that doesn't help, when you start to get dry hit, open the tanks refill port count to 10 and close it and try again. If this fixes it, then 50/50 juice may be too thick for your altitude/climate. Try a juice with more PG than VG, OR add a TINY bit of distilled water (not tap, not filtered, but distilled).

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Try measuring out a tank's worth of juice, add a few drops of distilled water to it, mix, and then vape. Change the viscosity to something slightly thinner.

As you get 6 to 12 hours in, maybe it's not wicking the same. Also the water helps keep it cooler. Don't add too much.

OR

Try less dense wicking.

OR

You're not getting dry hits, you're getting burnt hits from buildup on the coil and ???you're super-low-ohm cloud chasing?????

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
All over. Reputable sources online in Canada as well as local vendors. But again, all coils I’ve ever gotten for my se1 have been great. Also my aspire triton has never let me down but it doesn’t quite “do it” for me. I’m doing something wrong, I’m sure, I just can’t fathom what. After 8 years of vaping you’d think I know how to vape.
I’m wondering if maybe you want to possibly vape restricted DL on straight DL tanks. Just spitballing.
It’s a weird problem.
This won’t solve the problem, but it may limit the damage. Use TC as a coil level low juice indicator. Set the TC temp really uselessly high. Well above 450f, and pump in a lot of watts. This will effectively be a non TC vape, but instead of a dry hit you’ll get a check atomizer alert. Maybe not worth the effort of finding TC compatible coils. It’s what I can think of off hand though.
I’ll let this one percolate and see if I get any ideas.

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
I think a 50/50 blend would be to thin for a sub ohm tank like a Prince. I know some my older juices that were 50/50 blends couldn't even handle being vaped at high wattages. I think you need to go to higher VG juice. I don't think saturation is an issue here. It's more like the PG is burning off so fast at higher wattages that your cotton can't keep up.

Strange it all works well in the other tanks. My initial guess was counterfeit coils, but you've already dispelled that.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
Higher vg is another problem for me. Anything over 50% vg and I get dry hits on any tank I’ve got. Even my se1 and triton which both work great. But I’m not going very high in wattage. I was using a coil rated for 40-100 watts at 50 watts on the prince. Anytime I’ve tried higher vg in any of my other tanks, dry hits.

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
The uwell is a 0.8 ohm coil rated for 35-55 watts. I vape it at 38-42. I’m not a cloud chaser. I’m an ex smoker who likes direct to lung but not super sub ohm/ cloud chasing which is the direction the industry has been going for years.

I do tend to buy the lowest watt rated coils available for a tank though and vape at the bottom of the range. I’ve wondered if that’s the problem ( vaping too low and not vaporizing all of the juice)but I’ve tested it out and feel like I’ve eliminated that as the issue.

I also vape sweet juices, vanillas, caramels, etc. But, they all last fine in my triton and se1.

To the last post, no, I normally vape indoors.

Someone else posted about climate. Interesting. I live in mid Canada. Very dry cold winters. Hot humid summers. Cascade tank bought in summer, same problem, prince tank received yesterday mid winter same problem.

Through it all I can chain vape my triton and se1 year round with great coil life and satisfied. But coils are getting rare for both.

So confused.

• Optimistic

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
Had to ask, I vape mostly outside, not near as cold here as there. It does make a difference though, I use high vg, it really gets thicker and wicks slower in the cold. I start noticing the difference in the low 50's (around 10 for you?). If you even have your vape exposed to that temp it'll make a difference..

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, I can't help directly with your tanks/coils (they are outside my preferred MTL vape style). Perhaps if a higher PG ratio, or some distilled water as mentioned above, doesn't do the trick, might you consider an RTA (or tank with RBA head) where you have control of the build and wicking yourself (if your current tanks don't already have this).

I do have a subtank mini with the RBA head I could loan you to try out ... unfortunately, those seem to be getting rare, though FT does still have the stainless version. There are other kanger tanks (toptank??) that take the same RBA head I believe that may be more available.

tdman77

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2019
New Orleans
Have you tried a different mod and/or batteries? I had problems before with batteries going bad but charging like they were good.

I gave up on tanks with manufactured coils and only use RDAs and RTAs now. 6 months of wire and cotton costs the same as a 5pk of mfg coils.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have a uwell Se-1 with crown 2 coils that is amazing. Works 100%. Can chain vape at max level for over a week on a coil. Only coils* are becoming hard to find. Hence my quest for a replacement. Only apparently I have some sort of vape problem I can’t put my finger on with these new tanks.
In General higher ohm coils/lower wattage (generally MTL) vaping will:
Heat the coil slower, which may produce “less” vapor
Provide A “cooler” tasting vape, can produce more flavor
May use less E-Juice (<$ less money) <----------------- 1
Prolong battery life (<$)
Prolong coil life (<$) <------------------------------------ 2
Prolong wick life (<$) <------------------------------------ 3
Uses less liquid
Less likely spit back/Dry hits
May result in less PV maintenance/Issues
Less irritation to non vapers
Aids stealth vaping
Less exposure to carcinogens at high temps

1 Higher PG can promote freest liquid flow as apposed to higher VG liquid content.
2 If you can find a factory wire ID coil diameter that is larger than others factory coils, you may be less likely to constrict liquid flow.
3 I like rayon wicks, I build my own coils and wicks in my RDA and never had a flow problem.
If your vaping style is fixed, might want to look into squonking*.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
Higher vg is another problem for me. Anything over 50% vg and I get dry hits on any tank I’ve got. Even my se1 and triton which both work great.

Through it all I can chain vape my triton and se1 year round with great coil life and satisfied.

Okey,i thought of something that might be a part of the problem.You did everything all right,but after 6-12 hours you start getting dry hits.If it was liquid/VG/high wattage issue,dry hits would appear much earlier.
All that is left,is your inhale style.Said that problems started with your first subohm tanks.Perhaps you MTL before and your inhale was creating enough vacuum to keep juice going to your coil.
Se-1 and Triton must have smaller and/or shorter chimney so this didn't let the issue to appear, until you tried to use theme with higher VG ratio.When use Cascade or Prince with 50/50 ratio, the way you draw doesn't create the proper vacuum to pull enough juice to coil,and little by little your coil dries out.
I suggest try to draw harder and keep us informed about.

Cheers

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I also vape sweet juices, vanillas, caramels, etc.
Caramels and sweeteners are notorious for gunking up coils/wicks. I'm surprised it happens that fast though.

But, they all last fine in my triton and se1.
Different heads have different designs...so that keeps indicating a wicking problem with your OTHER tanks. Viscosity. Thin it with PG/DW.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Poke a few judicious holes in the cotton to loosen it and improve wicking maybe?

If you chain vape you could be shortening coil life, IDK.

Adding distilled water is always a good thing to try with wicking issues and to reduce temps in your tank (if you are chain vaping?)

If you are taking long pulls, keep inhaling after you release the fire button to wick more juice up into to the coil so it stays saturated?

That's about all I got, sorry.

Anna

Reactions: AttyPops

Nodnerb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for all the help everyone. I vape somewhat restricted dl preferably. I do draw hard to try suck the liquid into the coil. I know sweet juices gunk up coils. I get a week or more in my se1 and triton coils and they are chain vapable and nice and crackley saturated the whole time. This coil in the prince tank still looks new.

I always see reviewers chain vaping with 70/30 and 80/20 in the prince, cascade, and herkales with no issues. I would have thought 50/50 should wick fine. If it’s a viscosity issue while still using 50/50 I’d assume everyone with these 3 tanks I have trouble with would as well.

Which again brings me to me as the problem. The only thing I haven’t tried is adding distilled water so I’ll pick some up, or make some.

I welcome any other thoughts though as I am totally perplexed and frustrated by this. I have 3 great tanks that all suck when I, and apparently only I, use them. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread