old coils = bad taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannieboiz

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Does old coils have any negative affects?

I typically burn off the gunk on the coils and put it through a good rinse then change my wick every few days. This was especially true when I'm using standard kanthal on the Protank.

I recently switched to a Solomon 3 using claptons. I find that there is very little gunk on the coils, I still burn off what I can before replacing the wick. I usually change the coil every week and one wick in between. On this one however, I'm 2 weeks on on the same coil and had only replace my wick once using the same liquids that I normally use on the Protank.

What I notice is the vape isn't as smooth as if I were to put in a fresh coil. I think I just answered my own question but what do you guys have to say about it?

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only coil I changed with alacrity was this weirdo one that turned all my juice black like overnight with a very few puffs. I have no idea, and I don't think I WANT to know.

Otherwise, you know, when they need it. Meaning, when they won't register a resistance anymore for whatever reason. LOL, no every 2-3 months depending.

Anna

Reactions: Anise

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Does old coils have any negative affects?

I typically burn off the gunk on the coils and put it through a good rinse then change my wick every few days. This was especially true when I'm using standard kanthal on the Protank.
it depends on what you mean by “old”. Coils do get dirty and have to be cleaned, or if one is using a cartridge or pod system, replaced. Not all types of coil wire can be cleaned effectively and safely either so those have to be replaced when they get dirty as well. When wires are cleaned they generally get ever so slightly thinner. If the wire is already thin this means they can be cleaned fewer times before they need to be replaced. For cleanable coils though you can generally use them till they break. For thicker diameter wire this can take quite a very long time.
I recently switched to a Solomon 3 using claptons. I find that there is very little gunk on the coils, I still burn off what I can before replacing the wick. I usually change the coil every week and one wick in between. On this one however, I'm 2 weeks on on the same coil and had only replace my wick once using the same liquids that I normally use on the Protank.
wick changing is by preference. I’ve met people who change their wick daily. My sister will go a month (black nasty gunk filled atty. I don’t know how she could stand it) I personally change my wick every two days with a coil and every 4 days with mesh.
What I notice is the vape isn't as smooth as if I were to put in a fresh coil. I think I just answered my own question but what do you guys have to say about it?

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
everclear also helps.
Yup. two shots, and you won't care what it tastes like. Hell, you won't even be able to taste the juice.*

*I do not condone alcohol abuse, and would never suggest anyone actually take two shots of Everclear. I wouldn't even suggest one shot. In fact, just stay clear away from it. Far far away.

• Love
Reactions: Izan

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Everybody puts different stresses on builds. I typically like fresh cotton twice a week and new coil every 2-3 weeks assuming the build is in continuous service. I find a clean or new coil has more snap crackle pop than a seasoned coil. I like the lively firing for better throat hit.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
my personal record was a year and a half on a kathal build LOL I was actually ticked when that coil popped. Now that was in the day of low voltage high ohm coils.

Seems like fancier wires like fused claptons etc do not dry burn to as clean a state and I have to replace then every month or 2.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
my personal record was a year and a half on a kathal build LOL I was actually ticked when that coil popped. Now that was in the day of low voltage high ohm coils.
I made it to 14 months on my ADV mod recently. 3x30 twisted kanthal, mech squonker, MTL atty. IIRC, it was dry burned and re-wicked six or seven times. I wick with rayon, not cotton. I noted last time that the coil was looking a bit rough even after dry burning and cleaning, so I didn't even bother this time. I'm sure it could have gone longer, but wire is cheap.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Nobody particularly bothered by Dr F's suggestion not to dry burn coils?
I'm not. Heck, after twisting my wire, it becomes work-hardened anyway, so I torch it to anneal it before winding a coil anyway. Plus, I want to see that it glows evenly after installation before I use it. Hot spots are bad, m'okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread