• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

OMG houseguests and wild children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
My 5 yr old is impossible to get to sleep so if anyone has tried giving Melatonin to a child of 5 or 6 (sh'e almost 6) let me know. I've got to get her on a better schedule before she goes to her grandmother's for a week. Right now she's staying up til 6 am since her dad doesn't get home from work til 1:30 am and she wants to wait up for him. Then she wants to spend time with him, and it's 6 or 7 before she'll fall asleep. It's making me crazy because it means hubby and I get no time alone together. At least once school starts again she won't have a choice. Getting up at 6:30 am makes her tired by 9 pm. BUt I'm starting to hate summer :).

Junebug

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Georgia, USA
June - throw the game in the garbage and let them take it away before you soften up and send it to them! - After what she did to you!!!!!!

She's called me a few times now, and I've just let it go to voicemail. She hasn't flat out asked about it yet. Hmm perhaps I should tell her, to send me the money for the game before I mail it to her.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
I would never put a lock on a kids door in case of fire or accident! You never know what a fumble fingers you turn into until you panic.
My g'son is one of those kids who can't/won't sleep. But once he is asleep it would take a bomb to make him roll over let alone wake up! he is just like me.
Maybe it's worth seeing a Dr. about the non sleeping kids. That is not normal..even My G'son conks out by 1am. I would have a hissy fit knowing kids are out of bed at night, just thinking about it gives me chills.
getting them up and moving early and outside playing is the best cure..that even works for me..:rolleyes:

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
My DS used to not go to sleep until about 1AM no matter what time I got him up. He didn't usually take naps either. He would also get up during the night and take everything out of the fridge/freezer and leave the door open. Or everything out of drawers, or cabinets. Sometimes he would leave the house. Sometimes he would wake me by dropping toys on my head. We had to put special locks and alarms on everything. Even had to put DD in a crib tent with an alarm on the zipper.

When he was 4 was when the Doctor told me about the Melatonin. Probably would have told me about it sooner, but I hadn't stressed the issue prior to then. With the addition of DD it was killing me trying to keep up. I don't remember anything special as to the dose, just 1 capsule in his drink about 30min to 1 hr before we wanted him to sleep. Sorry I can't be more specific, but we stopped using it when he was about eight.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
I'll have his mom talk to the Dr. about it the next time they go... I was just hoping one of you ladies could save us the asking.

I worry that one of these days that boy's going to figure out how to get the knives out of the cabinet or work the deadbolt on the door and end up hurt or down the street someplace. He only sleeps 4hours total a day.. usually between 3-6am then an hour nap during the day (daycare won't keep him from napping)

Momof3

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Midwest, USA
I know it won't fix the problem, but if the doors open inward, a slide bolt mounted over the very top of the door and some of those stick on alarms managed to keep our DS in and provide some peace of mind. Slide bolt kept him from opening the door more than just a bit and the alarm would sound until the door was closed flush again. Doesn't have to be on alarm either, there is also a doorbell sound. It's all quickly disabled when you want to open the door. Plus cheap, readily available and fast to implement.

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Amen Kelly! The real life friends I have are from elementary and up to high school..still buddies. The rest are from places I have lived over the years. I tend to meet and keep friends for a long, long time!
But maybe because I always tell them what I think, they aren't surprised if I have to tell them to mind their children!
A few have told me to a grip on one of mine. Even though they are perfect...:p

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
LOL .. check it out ladies.. the bf told me about this yesterday.. aparently his store is going to start selling it this week or next (works for a 7/11) and it's already available in lots of places.. Aparently someone (no idea who) is telling pothead wannabe kids that it makes you feel high...

So I looked it up out of curiosity and saw the ingredients and immediatly thought of this thread.. figured i'd share ;)

Drank Beverage | Slow Your Roll!

Junebug

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Georgia, USA
lol I would have totally gave this to the girls in their Arizona tea. Oh they didn't like homemade sweet tea, had to drink that crap. In fact they didn't like anything made from scratch, but only if it was made with pre packaged sauces. Seriously! I make my own bbq sauce and they like Kraft? They didn't like eating vegetables either, unless it was frozen creamed spinach.

yoshimi

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Costa Rica
You have to keep in touch with them, the pleasure you will get seeing them tear their hair out when the kids are a little older and getting into the sort of trouble that can't be ignored will more than make up for what they did to your house. Just imagine these girls at 16 (yep ok I have a vindictive streak)

In fairness though they would have been thrown out of my house as soon as it was established that the kids wouldn't leave the animals alone :(

Did you hear from her again?

Junebug

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Georgia, USA
Actually she's been calling and texting my phone. I've pretty much ignored all her calls. I just can't talk to her like nothing has happened. I'm still torn by it all. I don't want to be an evil ..... because she and her husband are nice people, I just don't want to have anything to do with her girls. I really wanted to drop kick them and still do. A friend suggested I write a letter, and then put it away for a week and revisit it before I mail it out to her. Do I really want to cut all ties with her? Is her friendship that important to me? No, it's not. We communicate in intervals, maybe once a month phone calls at most. It's a tough situation for me, as I'm not as mean as I want to be in person. She knows me enough to tell when I'm upset, and the fact that I went around all week with a mad expression on my face should have been telling, but it wasn't.

The reason she came out for a visit, was really my chance to give her an escape. Her mother has lived with her for 7 years and mooched off her, and filled her housse with crap and made her life difficult. So this was her cheap getaway. While she was able to let her hair down and relax, I didn't expect her daughters to run absolutely wild in my home and not listen or respect me. One thing her youngest daughter did (and I'm still sticking to the belief that PC or not her daughter is ......ed) was to steal money from her mother's purse. My son found a $100 bill on his chair in his room. He came down and told us, he found it. We thought and wondered how did he get that, and I wondered perhaps it was from my parents who came to visit 8 months prior and it got stuck int he seat. It was a bit crumpled and folded up, so it might have been plausible. Then he found another $100 bill the next day, then his friend found a third bill the day after, these two bills were brand new un creased, that's when we definitely knew something was fishy. Honestly if my child did something like that, I would have pulled his pants down and smacked his .... in front of everyone. With the truth out, the youngest girl barely was punished. She was told she was in 'jail' for the day. Well it actually lasted only 1 hour, she was to do whatever we told her to do, clean or sit quietly, something that we wanted she may not have wanted. Hell, I would have locked her in the car in the garage for 15-30 min while the rest of us had fun in the house or something. No treats for her, no tv while the adults watched what they wanted. I was ...... off, and No, when they returned home, the girls were loud and rambunctious while the mother was on the phone with me. She yelled at them to get their dirty clothes together for laundry, but as far as I could tell, they were not punished. Even the older girl who broke my son's door was not punished. Nor did she give an apology. Her father apologized and paid for a new door and frame, but that was it. It's been a month, and while my blood pressure doesn't boil at the thought, it still makes me mad all that we went through. It would have been a much more enjoyable time with them, if the girls had behaved and not pushed the boundaries as much as they did.

Stephaniems

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
moving to the south you learn real fast what jan/feb means. everyone wants to come visit from the cold northern states.... ugh, i won't get into our horror stories about the so called guests we have had...
I do have a great story tho that makes you think "WHAT? NO, OMG HAHAHHAHA NOOO"
I went to one of those health/vitamin places to get some supplies and one was melatonin, (helps you sleep, your brain makes it naturally) the cashier, and I'm trying to make this short, told me about house guests she had recently. The children were horrible, I can't imagine they were near as bad as JuneBug's, this woman, every night after dinner would make the kids ice cream shakes. She said they all thought what a thoughtful hostess she was. THEN she told me she broke up some melatonin into the shakes. the kids got sleepy, went to bed without a fight and the parents kept commenting how good they were at her house about going to bed. OMG
I was glad at least that this woman did have great knowledge about the products she sold, doeses etc., still scares me and I would never do it.
.........next time JuneBug ;) jk

I'm not sure I would give melantonin to kids, I have really bad insomnia and I've had it all my life. When I was in college and working 2 jobs I started taking it, but could only handle taking it for 2 wks because it gave me vivid dreams and I never felt as if I had slept or rested (more tired when I woke up then when I went to sleep). If you have a kid that doesnt want to sleep and give this to them, while it may help them sleep they may end up acting worse on it, from not getting any real rest.

Kelly79

Jul 7, 2009
Alaska
June, take a long breath and tell yourself "at least they aren't mine!".
You need to talk to the mother. Just tell her you couldn't handle her kids. just state it baldly and then let her respond. I am betting she will cry, or yell. Let her do it and then hang up. There's an end it.

Or, you may actually get an apology. Some people are just oblivious until somebody says something, and you can never tell with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread