OMG!!!! My battery justn now EXPLODED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just wondering about these ? On sale for $2.95 each (+ shipping i'm sure).
4.8V NiMH Battery 600 mAh
Was thinking in a device like the iTaste SVD, which can handle stacked 18350's (which I would not do).
Bernie, those are the batteries that I used before and talked about here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/529058-omg-my-battery-justn-now-exploded-31.html#post12286842

I used them in a mechanical Silver Bullet that uses 18650 batteries and simple cartotanks. The battery time was dismal and quickly got worse over a short time...after about three weeks they only held a charge for about 3 hours each.

You want a high drain battery for a regulated mod like an iTaste SVD.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
2.0 ohm Smoktech single coils at that time on a mechanical mod.

Thanks. So with voltage drop to 1V per cell you were pulling 2A from them. That's 3.33C and I'm finding out they don't last long above 4C. Plus all the cells need to be fully charged or one or two will be a bit low off the charger.

Seems to me these battery packs would be the trickiest NiMHs to run for vaping. I wonder if these work well for anyone. They are sold in a few places so someone must be buying them. Or maybe they are all one time sales.

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA
And it would not matter one whit to Uncle Sam.

The safety crap is another mokescrean. Uncle Sam's campaign against vaping is about MONEY make no mistake about that.

Tax revenue, BT settlement money, and donations from BP

Please pardon me for this somewhat off topic tangent...but I just have to ask since I've seen it a few times in various threads...

I couldn't agree more about our nanny state government and their money grubbing attacks on the vaping world and our freedom to vape.
I also understand how the ANTZ types try to lump vapeing into the same quit or die category they place cigarette smokers into which is partly for cashing in on the billions of dollars the BT settlement cash.

But "donations from BP" WHAT ? Is that the oil platform oil spill accident "BP" you're talking about ? Donations ? What?
Please elaborate who what where why and how the heck they play into the picture ?

disclaimer... I just want to fully understand ... BP has to do with ANTZ and uncle sams campaigns against vaping. Did I miss something ?

To the OP, glad you're ok and the house didnt burn down. Good thing you were there to avoid it turning into a bad scene.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Please pardon me for this somewhat off topic tangent...but I just have to ask since I've seen it a few times in various threads...

I couldn't agree more about our nanny state government and their money grubbing attacks on the vaping world and our freedom to vape.
I also understand how the ANTZ types try to lump vapeing into the same quit or die category they place cigarette smokers into which is partly for cashing in on the billions of dollars the BT settlement cash.

But "donations from BP" WHAT ? Is that the oil platform oil spill accident "BP" you're talking about ? Donations ? What?
Please elaborate who what where why and how the heck they play into the picture ?

disclaimer... I just want to fully understand ... BP has to do with ANTZ and uncle sams campaigns against vaping. Did I miss something ?

To the OP, glad you're ok and the house didnt burn down. Good thing you were there to avoid it turning into a bad scene.

BP = Big Pharmacy. Those corporations that make the drugs that only work 7-9% to help stop smoking. You know...the ones that make the patch, gum and Chantix. If E-cigs work it severely cuts into the profits of all those that don't fall into that 7-9% that keep buying those patches and gum hoping that maybe this next time it will actually work.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
BP = Big Pharmacy. Those corporations that make the drugs that only work 7-9% to help stop smoking. You know...the ones that make the patch, gum and Chantix. If E-cigs work it severely cuts into the profits of all those that don't fall into that 7-9% that keep buying those patches and gum hoping that maybe this next time it will actually work.

Don't forget they also make the cancer drugs.

Vaping hurts their bottom line on so very many levels.

Nikkel

Moved On
Dec 16, 2013
Southern, USA
I think that the eGo class batteries would benefit the most from safer technology, but more than 90% of the fires I hear about with these would be avoided if manufacturers simply designed in a feature that would not allow the wrong battery to be attached to a charger.
Any thoughts?

Steeljan has some good ideas about connectors. About midway through the video she talks about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTy3Cfi7y-0

fogging_katrider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2013
Tennessee USA

:facepalm: :blush: Ohhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa roflmao heh heh haaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

Yeah ok now the "BP" abreviation makes sense and I'm ready to finish off the rest of that butter pecan ice cream you made me buy :sneaky:

Thanks Robinio1 :hubba:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Steeljan has some good ideas about connectors. About midway through the video she talks about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTy3Cfi7y-0

Yup, Steeljan and I think the same way on this one. I spent almost 20 years designing industrial tooling and machinery. Keeping people safe around that equipment was always on my mind. Safety was reviewed in design reviews and taken very seriously. Knowing how easy it is to design away the ability to put dangerous combinations of product together always has me shaking my head about the state the industry is in now on this.

I mean that sucker sounded like someone fired a gun in my house! Scared the hell out of me. Have no ides why this happened. I'll try to get some pictures. It was on fire and everything. Just a simple kgo battery on the charger. Thank goodness it was in my bedroom. I had thought about charging from my computer while checking out the ecf. Sure am glad I didn't. I don't think I'd have a face left if I had. Please be careful everyone! Dang it now I only have two batteries. Did I mention this scared the hell out of me?

yes battery charging can be a bit hazardous. Theres special bags where u can charge em in.. so when then explode they dont do dmg or cause a fire. usually only used for Lithium polymer batts used in r/c cars and planes but ive seen these bags in vape webshops too.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
:facepalm: :blush: Ohhhhhh haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa roflmao heh heh haaaaaaaaaaa :lol:

Yeah ok now the "BP" abreviation makes sense and I'm ready to finish off the rest of that butter pecan ice cream you made me buy :sneaky:

Thanks Robinio1 :hubba:

I had to buy some more myself. At least last night I only ate half a pint. :blink: ;)

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
Dang! Glad you're ok. Plastic shrapnel would have been a bi**h if it got ya!

There was plenty of metal shrapnel too. I keep finding these little burnt spots on my bedding also. I have several little pin size burn holes in my pillow case and parts of my sheet. I'm sure I'll find more little burn spots around my room in various places. After it was all said and done it was the thought of my house burning down that really put the fear in me. That was the most likely of all the "what ifs" that could have happened. I'm glad to see this thread is still being utilized and propagating safety.

Cloud79

Feb 9, 2014
Archer, Fl. USA
There's a lot of this and that in this thread about charging, cycles, connections and all that, but can anyone say what is or has been proven safer? For instance, how low the resistance of the atty being used can be before becoming dangerous for a spinner style battery?
I wonder because I currently use a vision spinner 1300 mah with my protank 3, my wife the same. Is it unsafe to use rebuilt coils at 1.4 ohms? It seems like the lower resistance allows me to use less power in hopes of prolonging my battery charge. Am I wrong? Of course sub ohming would be stupid with these batteries, but I have run 1.1-1.2 ohm coils on it before and that seemed to warm up the battery a little. But the atomizer itself was quite warm also so was hard to tell if the heat traveled down or not...
Also, my battery dies every night before bed, so I should trash it after 10 months to be safe? I cant wait for my SVD to show up now!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cloud79 said:
It seems like the lower resistance allows me to use less power in hopes of prolonging my battery charge. Am I wrong? Of course sub ohming would be stupid with these batteries, but I have run 1.1-1.2 ohm coils on it before and that seemed to warm up the battery a little. But the atomizer itself was quite warm also so was hard to tell if the heat traveled down or not...
Lower resistance draws more amps from the battery, so LR coils will drain a battery more than higher ohms.

Think about this. Imagine coils being like water pipes. Narrow diameter pipes have higher resistance for water flow due to their smaller diameter, therefore less water passes through and less water is used.

Wider diameter pipes have lower resistance, so more water flows through them. The same analogy is true with wire coil resistance, except now you're talking about the movement of electrons across the surface of wire.

A battery doesn't "work" any harder with lower or higher resistance; it doesn't actually "push" energy, it will give whatever energy it has to give freely. What determines how much energy is used is the resistance of the coil. Low resistance means the energy (electrons) has more access to the coil. High resistance means less energy allowed to be used by the coil.

LR coils burn quicker and hotter due to the added energy. SR coils burn slower and not as hot due to less energy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread