• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Omg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anima

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2011
Texas
I first want to apologize for trolling. I'm not a member of the group, but I need to vent.

On an Outside! thread earlier today someone compared pedophilia to homosexuality. I made a post calling him out on his bigotry. I admit, it was a little sarcastic. I can't point you to it because the original post and a couple of my responses have been removed. I got a couple of likes and marked one for the good guys. Well, I was then piled on in the thread and received a rule reminder and an infraction! I did get a bit nasty later in the thread, but I was given the infraction for the post that said that the bigot was being offensive. I'm assuming that the person who posted the hate was not complained about. Again, I admit that I got a bit impatient later in the thread, but would the mods have reacted this way if he had said something racist??

Anyway, sorry for trolling, but I am really disappointed.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
From personal experience in the OUTSIDE! I know the mods step in for direct hate and ignorance against homosexuality as well. It's hard not to feel slighted one way or another anytime a mod steps in, especially in the OUTSIDE!, but blatant hate speech for homosexuality has been treated the same way as racism in my (now fairly extensive) OUTSIDE! thread reading/experiences. I'm sorry you felt slighted in this case but I have a lot of confidence in the mods doing "the right thing" as best they can in the OUTSIDE!. -Magnus

Anima

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2011
Texas
... but blatant hate speech for homosexuality has been treated the same way as racism in my (now fairly extensive) OUTSIDE! thread reading/experiences.

I suppose you could conceivably argue that it wasn't blatant, though it is more accurate to say that it wasn't overt. It was what I call "dog whistle" hate speech, where everyone knows what you mean but you think that only people who share your view really get it. The poster even added a winky emoticon just in case it wasn't obvious enough.

I don't feel slighted, I'm just disappointed that no one else found it offensive, like when my uncle drops the ...... at Thanksgiving and no one cares. Though to be fair, I did get a couple of "likes" that I appreciated very much.

MagnusEunson

Bearded Super Villain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2011
Behind you
Some people feel that silence is an appropriate response.... I'm not that sort of person but that's also ended up feeding trolls as well. And in this case a lot of people could have remained silence because of that poster's prior history in threads. ECF and the OUTSIDE! is about as Gay friendly a place as I've been in general online forums. Also, the topic itself has really no "winning" side.. that's almost the very nature of that thread. Good luck wandering the OUTSIDE!... we don't bite often and we all stay current on our shots just in case. -Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread