on my new Xstar batt charger, there are 3 settings for charge, .25,.5,and 1 amp,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessiesmile

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2011
NE Arkansas
I have just been putting them in and letting them charge, and they seem to be doing fine, coming off, at 4.2 in a reasonable time, should I have been putting the setting on something specific, the default seems to be .25 amp, and that is how they have been charging for the last week.
It was yesterday when I went to put one on, and accidentally hit something, which turned out to be this button, and it switches the amp. level, I didn't even know it was there.
I use AW 18650's for my ProV, in case that matters.
I have been an ego user for two years, so no experience with this,:facepalm: I appreciate your help.

It depends on the size of your batteries. Since they're 18650, they should be 2,000 mAh, give or take, or even more.

For that size, the 1 A setting would be fine. Battery lifespan might be just the tiniest bit shorter, but I doubt anybody would notice unless they're using a computer-controlled system to track it.

As a general rule, 1 C is the reasonable limit for batteries. For a 2,000 mAh battery, 1 C is 2,000 mA, or 2 A, or way beyond your charger settings.

0.5 C is a good, safe charge--so 1 A on your charger for a 2,000 mAh battery (0.5 * 2,000 mA = 1,000 mA or 1 A).

0.25 C is an extremely safe, but somewhat slow charge. For a 2,000 mAh battery, that's still 0.5 A.

So for your batteries, choose whatever you prefer. For safety and battery lifespan (they do best if not stressed while charging), if you're happy with the 0.25 A setting, I'd leave it there. If not, bump up to 0.5 A.

For smaller batteries, take the mAh, divide by 1,000, and that would be the max setting on your charger. For very small batteries, like 800 mA, 0.8 A would be the maximum. Since you don't have that setting, go down to the next one, or 0.5 A as a maximum. And again, if 0.25 A is fast enough for you, use that instead. You can always go to a lower setting.

Chessiesmile

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2011
NE Arkansas
Oh Brilliant, Morpheus, you ARE the one :toast:
That is exactly the answer I needed, thank you ever so much.
They are 2,000 mAh I got them from provape, with my new PV.
I am quite fine with the rate of charge on the .25 amps, just didn't want to reduce their lifespan, or efficiency by improper charging.
Very good info, and well put, so even "I" could understand it. :)

Chessiesmile

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2011
NE Arkansas
I have just been putting them in and letting them charge, and they seem to be doing fine, coming off, at 4.2 in a reasonable time, should I have been putting the setting on something specific, the default seems to be .25 amp, and that is how they have been charging for the last week.
It was yesterday when I went to put one on, and accidentally hit something, which turned out to be this button, and it switches the amp. level, I didn't even know it was there.
I have been an ego user for two years, so no experience with this,:facepalm: I appreciate your help.

So what's your question? What charger are you using? VP1/2? To change the charge rate just hit the button and it let it cycle through the other charge rates until it hits .25 again if that is what you are shooting for.

Sorry, I guess my question was kinda buried in there, but i got my answer anyway, so all is good, thanks again Morpheus! :)

Oh Brilliant, Morpheus, you ARE the one :toast:
That is exactly the answer I needed, thank you ever so much.
They are 2,000 mAh I got them from provape, with my new PV.
I am quite fine with the rate of charge on the .25 amps, just didn't want to reduce their lifespan, or efficiency by improper charging.
Very good info, and well put, so even "I" could understand it. :)

You are always, always, always OK charging your batteries more slowly than you're allowed to by the specification. Lifespan actually improves slightly when you do this--a battery being slowly charged stresses less.

Efficiency may even be slightly greater, although you have a fantastic charger to begin with. Some chargers will have minor issues changing the charge phase in fast charge modes, which can lead to a bit of extra heat (AKA energy lost as heat).

For your 2,000 mAh any setting you wish on your charger is efficient, safe, and fairly low stress. If you need your batteries recharged quickly, you don't have to be afraid to bump up the setting.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a general rule, 1 C is the reasonable limit for batteries. For a 2,000 mAh battery, 1 C is 2,000 mA, or 2 A, or way beyond your charger settings.

Agree with everything you said Morpheus, just wanted to add that the 1C max charge rate is good for any IMR or hybrid batteries I've ever seen numbers for, but I have seen some ICR Li-ion batteries that rate less than that. We shouldn't be using those batteries anyway, but you never know :)

Agree with everything you said Morpheus, just wanted to add that the 1C max charge rate is good for any IMR or hybrid batteries I've ever seen numbers for, but I have seen some ICR Li-ion batteries that rate less than that. We shouldn't be using those batteries anyway, but you never know :)

They still make those? But yes, you're completely correct. I've seen some that max at 1 A, not 1 C--1 A could be 0.4 C or so, actually.

For this charger, the 1 A setting would still be fine, but when using a charge-limited ICR I wouldn't push it and I'd limit myself to 0.5 A.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin

i have 14500s, 18350s, 18490/18500s, and 18650s.

i use the 0.25A setting for my 14500s and 18350s. its not all that safe to go higher in current for these batteries. i also use that setting for my 18490/18500s and 18650s when ive got the time, which is typical.

if i want a faster charge for my 18490/18500s, i will occasionally bump it up to 0.5A.

if i want a faster charge for my 18650s, i will bump it up to 0.5A or even 1.0A.

i do not use the 1A charge for anything but 18650s.

if you still have the original packaging for the charger, youll notice this info is in the instruction manual along with the description of the button you hit with the gear symbol on it, along with other useful information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread