Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Yes, essentially. You press the fire button and it lights the coil up. There is a readout of the voltage, but it's not terribly useful. Unless your build is ridiculously low in resistance you won't have a problem. And if it is that ridiculously low, you shouldn't IMHO be vaping with it anyway.

Reactions: Zutankhamun

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Understood . . What I'm saying is if you decide to make your coils a multimeter can check the resistance of just the coil, it attaches with alligator clips so you don't have to attach the new coil to the tank to check it. It's good to do both but to be able to check just the coil itself gives you an option of redoing said coil before screwing it into the tank first

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I should add with the full size 521 tab there's a plug adapter thingy that lets you hook up alligator clips to measure wire as well. I rarely bother with it (and its not going to put Fluke out of business for accuracy), between Steam Engine and just having a reference of how I'm planning to build it's not critical, but the feature is available. Probably most useful when playing with a complex coil like say a fused Clapton where doing a quick check before coiling is nice.

The other thing I like is it sits down nice and low on my table. Not like building on top of a mod and worrying about accidentally tipping it over.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I should add with the full size 521 tab there's a plug adapter thingy that lets you hook up alligator clips to measure wire as well. I rarely bother with it (and its not going to put Fluke out of business for accuracy), between Steam Engine and just having a reference of how I'm planning to build it's not critical, but the feature is available. Probably most useful when playing with a complex coil like say a fused Clapton where doing a quick check before coiling is nice.

The other thing I like is it sits down nice and low on my table. Not like building on top of a mod and worrying about accidentally tipping it over.
Oh ok, I didn't know that... so it's all there then and your set when or if you decide to do your own coils

Reactions: Eskie

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
excellent thanks. I find my MTL resistances I like are not more than 1.5, and 1 and 1.2 are very welcome. So that's what I'd be trying to build to begin with.
Geez with pre built coils I always know my wattages, but this would be a whole new ballgame.
With the siren, it seems to wick well and I'm hoping i could get a 20 watt 1.0 ohm vape out of it.. would that be unrealistic? I have a serious addiction to throat hit, i would pick a throat hit over every other aspect of vaping.

I have shaky hands, i'm only in early 40's but there's definitely some sort of issue there, this is why i am concerned i'd get very frustrated. But i am really inspired now to give it a go! Why not! Lots of places out of stock of the siren, so i'll keep searching. I trust Pete's review and watched all 50 minutes of it, so i'm kind of dead set on that being my first RBA tank.

I do have a subtank plus, as the 1.2 ssocc provide a terrific MTL and are often overlooked, plus it gives me 7 mils of MTL when out, hence, an entire day out with a charged 3500 mah mod at 17 watts equals 24 hr vaping for me. :) I have to find the box, i think there might be an RBA in there and i have something to start with and didn't even realise? lol.

will definitely be studying the steam coil builder. Cheers!

I love my throat hit too. I use the 22 mm Siren and vape wattages between 10 & 15 and it's a great vape. I have three Sirens I'm vaping right now. The Sbody Macro is set at 12 watts and the coil resistance is .99, the Innokin Hunter is set at 15.5 watts and the coil resistance is 1.10 and the Eleaf Pico is set at 14.1 watts and the resistance is 2.07 ohms and they're all giving me a great vape. So you can see how versatile this tank is.

I just cranked the wattage up on the Innokin Hunter with the 1.1 ohm coil and the wattage is now 20. I've never vaped at such a high wattage before, but this is a very nice, satisfying vape. So yes, you can definitely enjoy vaping it at 20 w with a 1. coil.

I started out using pre-built coils from Fast Tech and I recommend them as a great way to ease into RBAs, but building is much easier than you probably think. I was terrified of building, but now, I love it. I have a little stash of the pre-builts just to make sure I have them on the off-chance I ever need them, but I love building coils and don't use the pre-builts at all anymore. If your hands are somewhat unsteady, I think you would likely have more of an issue with trapping the leads to the coil under the screw heads than with the actual wrapping of the coil, especially if you use a coil jig. The Siren makes trapping leads very easy since the screw heads are larger than other RBAs I have seen. The tiny screws on my Kanger Subtank Minis used to drive me crazy in that regard. I was always dropping them on the floor.

I think you can find the Coil-Master DIY coil building kit V2 for around $35 on Ebay and that is all you need, except for wick and wire to build. I bought some pre-built coils from Sweet-Vapes recently that look good, but I haven't used them. Just make sure the Ebay vendor has a 99% positive customer service rating and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
wow, so much useful info as always. Thank you Zutankhamun.

Such a great forum!
I'm strictly mtl , also ditto on SERIOUS TH. Like you, it's my #1 prerequisite in vaping. I do all rebuildables at an average of 23 watts with 24mg nic. I find the best wire for wattages around 20 to be 26g. I do resistances between .7 to 1 ohm. I have 7 different set ups I use every day and all but 2 have the 26g wire, the other two have 28g and resistances around 1.4 ohms which I also vape the same wattages. So building these coils is very routine, as they are always either 6 to 8 wraps of 26g or 7 wraps of 28g. But I could just as well be happy with one gauge at one resistance which would always be the same. I guess you know that's the easy part , I'm sure it's your hands that you think is the issue.
wow, so much useful info as always. Thank you Zutankhamun.

Such a great forum!

stoprealones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2009
Why wasn't it any good?

After watching some reviews I'm not too into the design so I'll think I'll let that one pass anyway.
I saw on his site you go on a list and then he emails you to pay? So I don't know if they're made to order.

By the by. Just got my siren delivered but I won't open it until I've ordered i few other pieces I want.
That way I've got a good vape mail day to look forward to
:thumb:

Just bought Tobecco Supertank. You can get rta or one with the BEST cheap coils to subhom. The tank is only 19.00 and DOESNT LEAK a drop, 4.5 ml. I cannot believe this tank! Im using the tobeco coils. They last up to 3 weeks for 12.95 a box. The flavor is incredible.
The air holes can be opened for fl or closed for mtl.
I just wanted to mention this as its one the best tanks I've ever had.
Hope you find what youre looking for

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Nice thanks I'll have a look.

No I'm in a slightly bad-ish mood. Been using my brand new paps (with a kayfun, mtl of course ;)).
I've attempted to polish a slight nick with a drill and wet 'n' dry and now my seamless mod isn't seamless any more :(
I don't know whether to get it serviced already!
It's only been 4 days of use...

Back to tanks though, I can't wait for the Heron v3. They say it can be closed down like the supertank you just mentioned but I'm dubious. Is it a proper mtl on that tank?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just bought Tobecco Supertank. You can get rta or one with the BEST cheap coils to subhom. The tank is only 19.00 and DOESNT LEAK a drop, 4.5 ml. I cannot believe this tank! Im using the tobeco coils. They last up to 3 weeks for 12.95 a box. The flavor is incredible.
The air holes can be opened for fl or closed for mtl.
I just wanted to mention this as its one the best tanks I've ever had.
Hope you find what youre looking for

Yup best overlooked tank, especially at the price. And with a wide selection of Atlantis style coils, you can keep switching styles without much fuss.

stoprealones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2009

No I'm in a slightly bad-ish mood. Been using my brand new paps (with a kayfun, mtl of course ;)).
I've attempted to polish a slight nick with a drill and wet 'n' dry and now my seamless mod isn't seamless any more :(

Back to tanks though, I can't wait for the Heron v3. They say it can be closed down like the supertank you just mentioned but I'm dubious. Is it a proper mtl on that tank?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I dont have one yet, but a very easy rba,im told is the OBS engine 25mm or mini, and has great flavor and can also be closed up for mtl people like us.
Any thoughts on this one?
Thanks

Check out the OBS nano thread in the RTA sction. It's a single coil version, 25 mm 5 ml. Folks there are really enjoying the single coil for mtl with the airflow cranked down.

Reactions: ricks

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com

Polishing rarely keeps its seamless looks and usually leads to rounded edges, brushed is much better for a seamless look

Reactions: Zutankhamun

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
It's very cheap so if I ever decide to get into building, i suppose that would be where i would start, inexpensively. I'd also probably start with premade coil wire that are ready to be inserted into the deck and already have resistances I can choose from.

Hey Vesh...have you considered, rather than jumping "full in" to coil building, to just "dip your toe" in the coil building waters?

The Joyetech CLR coils are designed to be rebuilt:

Joyetech CLR Coils (5 pack)

The 1.0Ω coils have smaller juice holes and are aimed at MTLers. The 0.5Ω coils have larger juice holes and are aimed at DLers...

For $9.95 you get a 5-pack. Remove 1 from the blister pack => prime it => screw it in to your tank (like any other prebuilt coil) => GREAT MTL (or DL) experience...

When flavor starts to drop off => remove cotton and replace with cotton, rayon, etc. When clouds start to decrease => remove wick => dry-burn => re-wick...

The "VW" heads come with Kanthal. To replace with SS, etc...each 5-pack comes with rebuilding instructions. (And @pufZeppelin has posted a quick method of winding a CLR coil:

eGo ONE tank series – CLR coil

A number of tanks accept the CLR coil. My favorite is the Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank. (It's 4ml...my life is too short to be refilling smaller tanks continuously.)...

Joyetech eGo ONE Mega V2 Tank

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Totally forgot about this thread.
I've bought an authentic Heron from GP which is so good for our type of vape. Has a filler material inside, it's weird to me but really good.
I've ordered 2 more pieces to go on the phenomenon after the catastrophe including some poor grip and the concrete a little while ago.

And today, I've purchased the authentic kayfun mini v3
I don't know what mod to buy for it. I'm thinking something small and box. Possibly regulated so I can get it for cheap.
It's for the outdoors, any suggestions?

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
A Rolo 75 or Istick 30 would do the trick.

Got the 30 but I don't like the fact that you can't remove batteries.
perhaps you could link the rolo? Or post a pic?
I've got loads but I just want something to suit this 19mm atty. Always 22s but after all the praise I've decided to invest in this smaller atty.
I've got an rdna 40 and that would be perfect but they don't sell them anymore and mines broke :(

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Got the 30 but I don't like the fact that you can't remove batteries.
perhaps you could link the rolo? Or post a pic?
I've got loads but I just want something to suit this 19mm atty. Always 22s but after all the praise I've decided to invest in this smaller atty.
I've got an rdna 40 and that would be perfect but they don't sell them anymore and mines broke :(

Triple thumbs up on the CLR coils. I've been using the same ones for six months so far, with weekly re-wicks. TORE one UP, and was sure it was done. Nope - still running fine at 1.06 ohms. Amazing.

Le Rolo (Wismec Realaux RX75,and I have no idea if I spelled all that correctly).

20170401_214634 (Medium).jpg

Another of my favorites is the HCigar VT75 Nano. Last I saw GearBest had them for about $50 (in black).

20170401_215239 (Medium).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread