One of those days :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Namir

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
I almost was done with analogs, and I know the popular saying is 'it's not how many you smoke, it's how many you don't smoke' but seriously, today was going to be the first cigarette free day in years.

But, instead of it being a completely cigarette free day, today was my first day having ALMOST gone without a cigarette. I was doing great, ignoring the occasional fiddling and twitchiness that lets me know that I should probably vape to get the thought of a smoke out of my mind. But then a hiccup happened, since a part of my day includes taking care of my grandma.

I get over to her house, clean the catbox, vaccuum, and then sit on the couch and commence to talking. My grandma is very bad with change, and I had told her earlier in the week that I'm trying to stop smoking, and I had mentioned it to her a couple times now, but after about a minute of being on the couch with her, she started to get anxious.

"Katty, are you sure you don't want a cigarette?" I sigh and say "No, Grandma, I'm trying not to smoke, remember?"
"Well, they're right here, and you should really have one, since I've got plenty." she responded.
It continued on that route, but eventually I caved in, and it wasn't even that great tasting.

Does peer pressure still count when the person is 60 years older than you?

All I can do is keep trying, and learn how to say no to my grandma, which is a lot harder than it seems.

Ain't no pressure like granny pressure. Peer pressure doesn't even compare because you can always find new friends.

One's no big deal, though, and I'd look at it as a bump in the road and move on. Today was your first "mostly cigarette-free day" in years, which is really a very impressive accomplishment!

In the future, maybe instead of smoking you could use your vape? Grandma might even be impressed enough to try it herself.

Haley

Jan 15, 2013
Oregon
Wow, that would be really hard to say no, (over and over) to Grams! Not sure I could do it either! but just remember, alls not lost just because you had one.. Just keep trying. Only having 1 smoke a day when you're first quitting is MUCH better than going back to smoking all day! Plus, it reminds you just how gross they taste! I can't believe I ever enjoyed the taste of camel filters!! :) good luck to you!

Sounds like she has a little anxiety condition. Self centered thinking happens to some older people and the thought of you not smoking seems to have made her anxious about it for herself. I'd avoid the topic with her. One isn't bad, and it wasn't so great. Hang in there.

Could be. But parents and grandparents always worry about you. My mother still worries that I don't eat enough.

I'm in my forties and have, so far, managed to not starve to death. I must be doing something right, but she still shoves food at me. OK, I'm thin, I'm always going to be thin. I am not deprived. :)

She may be responding to the change in habit. "But she ALWAYS has a cig with me after she finishes and we chat!" A change in routine is upsetting for all of us (not least of all the smoker), and nobody likes the thought that it may herald other changes. Like your granddaughter, now a non-smoker, may not wish to hang around with grandma, who smokes.

In this case, I'd let things go a bit and see how it develops. Barring other issues, grandma will adjust to the non-smoking version of her granddaughter and, if nothing else changes, she'll relax about it.

Edit: You can so tell I'm married to a shrink, can't you?

Scoper50

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
The great thing about vaping is that you can have the occasional cigarette, and since you're vaping the rest of the day, that one cigarette is enough. In my past quit attempts with the patch/gum/etc... Whenever I slipped up, one cigarette would turn into two, and then 10, and then 20, and then I would be back to full time smoking. With vaping I find that I can smoke a single cigarette and then go back to vaping and not even have a desire for another one for a long time.

I wouldn't consider your situation with your grandma a failure. It's just one cigarette. If that one turned into several, then it would be a problem. But it's just one. Get what I'm saying? I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

cactus71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
NM
That's like trying to tell an Italian grandma that you're not hungry... you're getting served a platter of food anyway - can't win. I'm half-joking but yes do keep trying. Is it that your grandmother has an association with the smell of analogs like us vapers used to? You know that the sense of smell can bring back strongest memories... and maybe there is the connection.

twisted1

Moved On
Dec 12, 2012
"Katty, are you sure you don't want a cigarette?" I sigh and say "No, Grandma, I'm trying not to smoke, remember?"
"Well, they're right here, and you should really have one, since I've got plenty." she responded.

Don't be so hard on yourself. There will come a day - whether you stay on this journey or not - that you'll reflect back on this memory with a fondness. Cherish the time that you have with Grandma.

No mention of your tool of choice. Are you hiding your vape experience from Grandma?

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
First off welcome aboard.

Second, don't fret it!

I know it took me a few weeks, and from hearing others on here took them a while to completely give up smoking. I know, I know, it doesn't make you feel any better about caving in but you're not alone.

The thing is the longer you go between not caving in and you do break down and have a cig it will be like "oh man this tastes like cow poop and dog food".

Since Halloween of 2011 I have only had 1 cig and I thought it tasted like hell and felt sick for a day or two afterwards.

Go at your own pace. Concentrate on the goal not on the set backs.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Sorry for two post in a row...

Don't be so hard on yourself. There will come a day - whether you stay on this journey or not - that you'll reflect back on this memory with a fondness. Cherish the time that you have with Grandma.

No mention of your tool of choice. Are you hiding your vape experience from Grandma?

Very much second this thought. I got to spend time hanging out with my grandfather for a few years before he died. Adult to adult with the grandparents is a good thing. I have some good stories about my dad and uncle :). And I also know a lot of my personality is from my grandfather.

If you're hiding your vaping from your grandmother not a good thing but I can understand it.

I get down to my father's every few months or so. My step mother's mom is still alive. Hard type of relationship to explain (sort of like an adopted grandma). I had explained to her what the eGO was, not sure she completely understood it but she was glad it was keeping me from smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread