One step up from fishtank-filter-filler

Status
Not open for further replies.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
I stopped using the fishtank-filter a while back, because it had the same drawback as the filler of the e-Cig cartridges (both empty or filled ones): the filler itself soon gets pushed together, and then doesn't reach the atomizer-bridge anymore (so you have to keep messing around with it, pulling it up, putting straws underneath to keep it up, whatever).
From then on I just bought some Janty- and Partysmoker cartridges; emptied them, then rinsed and kept re-using them. Would be okay for a while, but of course this didn't work endlessly, I had to buy new cartridges with some regularity (filled ones, neither sell empty cores) to keep my stock filled.

Well... a few weeks back, one of my young dogs tore it's fluffy toy in pieces within an hour after she had gotten it (my avatar was the guilty one :) ). And as I was cleaning up the mess, it suddenly dawned on me that the filling of that toy was real spongy-feeling: I could press it together and it would come right back up to it's original space-filling all the time... It looks the same as the fishtank-filter, also very clean and with no loose small pieces of thread in at all; but it feels and acts much better as to what we need for cartridge-filler.

Washed some of it and tried it; and indeed, this is a real step forward, works much better!
Then I made small holes in other fluffy-toys I have laying around.... and they all had the same stuff in them (from different brands and different sellers). So it looks like all or many fluffy toys have what we need inside them ;) Not sure if it's just pet-toys or also children-fluffy's that have the right stuff: only have pet-fluffs around the house here.

I can't track it down on internet in unused state... can't afford to keep buying and discarding like probably would be neccessary until stumbling upon the exact same stuff. But perhaps someone here by chance would happen to know where these kinds of toyfillings come from?
And anyhow, for now I will manage with the toys, though it's no cheap way of getting filler... but one toy's innards should last a year or so I think. So from now on I am getting a new pet-toy myself once a year! :D

Jason

Unresolved Status
Apr 6, 2008
chicago 'burbs
My family is going to have an intervention if I start smoking my daughter's teddy bear.

In all seriousness though, I'd be concerned about additives you might be exposing yourself to. I think that here in the US, stuff like that needs to be treated to be fire ......ant. I'm pretty much clueless on this kinda stuff so I could be completely wrong.

it's the same in most of the EU aswell fire ......ant coating is ment to be used on all stuffed toy wadding, and polyester is not the nicest stuff in the world should it be exposed to high heat, if I remembet corectly its made using petrolium byproducts and coal but don't quote me as it's been a long time since we did that in science at school

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
It would be best if we found fillings different then polyester that worked well: all the way with you there.
But we haven't... and the polyester fillings don't get burnt any if they are kept wet (and if you take them off when self-cleaning is happening, if it's not all too wet anymore).
Perhaps the fire-defense put on might even be a good thing with atomizers near... we've been into burnt tastes etc at length in many posts before (though I never have burnt taste myself: just keep the filler wet and all is okay, at least with my atomizers)
As to additives being poison: I am pretty confident it isn't, else it wouldn't be allowed to be put into either childrens or pets toys... both tend to chew on their toys a lót :)

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
What we might be able to use is kapok, the stuff they filled teddy bears with when I was a kid (or at least my teddy was full of it - he was an old git, though). I remember futzing around with it in primary school. I'm pretty sure it's a plant like flax or cotton, except you can't make thread out of it. Used to go in pillows and quilts, too.

Emp

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Then I made small holes in other fluffy-toys I have laying around.... and they all had the same stuff in them (from different brands and different sellers). So it looks like all or many fluffy toys have what we need inside them ;)

Hi Katink,
Once word gets out, all of your stuffed toys will be going into hiding :)

As mentioned previously I would approach using this very cautiously. You may find the polyester, or anything it's treated with leeches out into your e-liquid :(
Good luck with your testing!

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hi GTO,
Although I think you have the right idea, the link you supplied, along with many other home "test kits" only test for a handful of the many dozens of potentially harmful/carcinogenic substances that we don't want to be vaporizing, and inhaling into our lungs. I suspect that a thorough chemical analisis would be very costly :(

Regards,
Mark

one way of testing for alot of toxins is to take your substance heat it to the level of a hot atomizer and boil it in distilled water then send a sample of the water off to a water testing lab Water Quality Test Kit (Pro-Water-Quality) - Wellness Products & Magnetic Bracelets that way you can test for leaching, it's far from a perfect test but it should give you some idea of what you are dealing with.

I know of a couple of labs in the UK that will conduct more in depth testing but expensive dosen't even come close to it lol. I wanted to get my water tested a while back when I was building my brewery and In the end I just tested the basics myself as it was so costly.
there are companys that will do a expected toxin test, you send them a list of what you think might be leaching and they just test for those, It costs x amount per toxin but I can't find any links on the costs although its probly not cheep.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Polyester itself is well... polyester like all polyester; and this kind is clearly clean, no dust or small particles/thread-ends in it... and as to additives to this particular wadding: again, if kids and pets can chew on it, salivate it all wet, and then chew some more on it... then I'm not concerned with safety at anything near normal temperatures, I trust that this will be taken care of as to safety.
Only small chance of something not-okay might be if additive gets very hot (or if polyester burns from the atomizer of course; but then we know that must be avoided allready, nothing new there). Seeing this additive is a fire-repellant, of all things, I don't expect it to give any reactions when just being heated up to "proximity-of-atomizer-temps"; but that is worth looking into just to be positively able to exclude this. So I will be ordering one of those kits, thanks for that link too GTO (and what do you know, this firm even delivers worldwide while being US-based, nice!)

TheEmperorOfIceCream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
London, UK
Well I suppose it must a requirement for the stuffing of children's toys not to give off toxic fumes when burning, or smoldering. And I suppose inhalation of it in the short term is no big deal. But prolonged use has to be considered. Nobody expects kids to torch their toys every day. On the other hand, I used to play a lot of Joan of Arc when I was a kid - never did me any harm, but Little Ted hated it...

Emp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread