One year down

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalrain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
What a strange journey....I've gone one year without a cigarette. This all coming from a "hard core" smoker knowing full well when i died, I'd have a cig in my hand.

I purchased my first ecig (not with the intent of quitting)
but something to use at work to get me to the next smoke break. Over a months time, i noticed i was smoking less, and vaping more. I basically was down to my bare minimum, must have, got no choice in the matter, "three cigarettes a day"....down from almost a 2 pack a day habit.

Seems the more i vaped, the less i wanted a cigarette.
Understand, i did not put a whole lot of thought into the situation, it just happened....didn't really know what happened till after it was over.... but, July 30th, 2009 i smoked my last cig...woke up August 1st for my morning cig, and decided to vape instead, telling myself i'll just have my noon cig...noon come and gone, so i told myself i'd have my "before bed cig"....went to bed without a cig, but a vape instead.....leading up to this point in my life....no cigs, not even a puff for the last 12 months.

I was a die hard smoker....i probably still am....I took a hard look and figured out, if I have one cigarette, buy me a carton, because i don't have the fortitude to stop after one smoke. For me, this is not a life long battle, the only battle i have to fight is lighting that first analog....I don't have to say no to lots of cigs, just the first one.

How ironic, a die hard (ex) smoker 1 year later not even being able to imagine lighting up a cig...True story...I can't even imagine myself ever smoking another cig....
Something happened....I wish i knew what it was.
Good luck with your journey!!!

Metalrain

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
One year is a HUGE accomplishment and you should be proud of it! Like youreself, I only tried my first e-cig on a suggestion from a good friend who said he quit instantly after 30 years of smoking with one. I believed what he told me and ditto, I quit instantly with mine, now 9 months today.

Here's to you and to another cig-free year!

:toast:

DonnaDo

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Delaware
As a 40 year smoker (ex-smoker) I know how HUGE this accomplishment is for you....for everyone. :party:!
What a strange journey....I've gone one year without a cigarette. This all coming from a "hard core" smoker knowing full well when i died, I'd have a cig in my hand.

I purchased my first ecig (not with the intent of quitting)
but something to use at work to get me to the next smoke break. Over a months time, i noticed i was smoking less, and vaping more. I basically was down to my bare minimum, must have, got no choice in the matter, "three cigarettes a day"....down from almost a 2 pack a day habit.

Seems the more i vaped, the less i wanted a cigarette.
Understand, i did not put a whole lot of thought into the situation, it just happened....didn't really know what happened till after it was over.... but, July 30th, 2009 i smoked my last cig...woke up August 1st for my morning cig, and decided to vape instead, telling myself i'll just have my noon cig...noon come and gone, so i told myself i'd have my "before bed cig"....went to bed without a cig, but a vape instead.....leading up to this point in my life....no cigs, not even a puff for the last 12 months.

I was a die hard smoker....i probably still am....I took a hard look and figured out, if I have one cigarette, buy me a carton, because i don't have the fortitude to stop after one smoke. For me, this is not a life long battle, the only battle i have to fight is lighting that first analog....I don't have to say no to lots of cigs, just the first one.

How ironic, a die hard (ex) smoker 1 year later not even being able to imagine lighting up a cig...True story...I can't even imagine myself ever smoking another cig....
Something happened....I wish i knew what it was.
Good luck with your journey!!!

Metalrain

indianwells

Oct 1, 2009
Excellent post MetalRain. Your story sounds so much like mine. I too was a hardened smoker for 30 years and the ecig has been a miracle for me.

I loved my cigarettes but I knew they didn't love me...they wanted to kill me!

I didn't quit gradually though, I bought an ecig, I liked it, I quit analogs right there and then. I can honestly say that in the 16 months i've been free of the weed I haven't craved an analog since.

I love the way I can stealth vape in my office, a restaurant, a bar, hell, even an airplane.

I too can't see myself ever going back to analogs, well, not now I know what smokers actually smell like. I can't believe I stunk so bad without realising it. Smokers truly don't know how they smell, I didn't. I'm not running down smokers, how could I? I was one for all those years. I just wish Governments all over the world would simply do away with cigarettes and educate smokers on the benefits of vaping. They won't though, they don't care about our health, only the tax raised on tobacco. We know that, they know that. .......s.

Anyway, fantastic achievement on reaching your first year!:)

romping

Feb 22, 2010
Colombia
Congrats Metal! One year. I´ve had a question burning in my head that I wanted to get some feedback if possible.

I have quit for 5 months. I was a 2-3 pack day Marlboro red smoker. For 5 months I have and continue to vape heavily. The question in my mind is, what next? Am I going to be addicted to my mod the rest of my life? I know that it is preferable to the Marlboros but carrying around a chunk of metal forever?

I am worried that of all drugs, nicotine is the toughest to beat. Can it ever be beat or are you planning on vaping forever? This is the question I ask myself and don´t have the answer.

Just a thought.
thanks!
Romping

metalrain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks for all the kind words, i'm personally still thrilled knowing the "smoke habit" is gone. Lots of little things change that you might not even notice. I remember the first time i left the house without a pack of cigs....it was a big deal then...don't even notice it now....Like i said...it was a strange journey.

Romping...i don't know how to answer your question...I would try not to over analyze. How long this? how long that? what happens next? hows it gonna end? It goes back to the "journey thing" I personally made it a "journey" not a "destination" I never had any expectations, i never had any goals....ofcourse once i got into it and did quit, my only goal was to stay "quit"

I've quietly lowered the nic strengh over the months, starting with 36mg....now at 10 mg...in the back of my mind, i will stop vaping someday, but i don't make it a big deal...when it happens, it happens. Kinda goes back to the "take a good look at yourself" and not the situation. My brain always played tricks when it came to smoking, what i've learned is "not to play the game" Thats where the "laid back attitude" about it comes from...not gonna worry..not gonna make deals...not gonna try to figure what comes next...just gonna see where this all takes me with no time limits, no expectations.

Thats all i have to say about that!

Metalrain

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
Thats great...we love to hear of the new Vets...Great job!!!
t1109.gif

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Congrats, wonderful job and I agree completely about not smoking that first one. For me, I know that I cannot do both, I am an all or nothing kind of person. If I have one, I will have to smoke the entire pack, carton, whatever and I will rationalize why I can keep doing both until one day I am only smoking and not vaping. I know it is different for all of us and just glad that I know myself well enough that I can do what is best for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread