OOPS . . . . . thought I was done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
TBH I do have a proper wood lathe (of course), but it's not set up for this miniature crap. I don't think a man's supposed to have a mini lathe and turn pens for all his friends until he's over 58 yrs old or something. (Yeah, there's a rule like that, I just don't remember exactly). If I'm actually still interested in this in a couple days, I'll be setting up the proper lathe (pro'ly need a special chuck, and a special tool rest at least).

I too have a mini lathe for wood, and it can handle some pretty large blanks. I would need to get a new chuck for the smaller stuff, and new tools as well as a new rest. CATastrophe and I have talked about it some, but never made the plunge. The problem with wood drip tips is keeping them from swelling with the moisture, and putting a finish on them that will not cause harm. I am thinking about getting some of that truestone and experimenting with turning that material. And, since I am over 58, I am safe from the rule.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I too have a mini lathe for wood, and it can handle some pretty large blanks. I would need to get a new chuck for the smaller stuff, and new tools as well as a new rest. CATastrophe and I have talked about it some, but never made the plunge. The problem with wood drip tips is keeping them from swelling with the moisture, and putting a finish on them that will not cause harm. I am thinking about getting some of that truestone and experimenting with turning that material. And, since I am over 58, I am safe from the rule.

That's whats been holding me back from buying a nice wood tip. I don't mind paying the money, I just don't want it swelling up and not lasting very long. Nice job on the tip dibby, you got any Australian Jarrah wood from old outback railway sleepers laying around.....:)

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Some of the wood flutes I own have been finished with an oil/beeswax finish. Here's a quick article on food safe finishes: Food-Safe Finishes - Fine Woodworking Article

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
That's whats been holding me back from buying a nice wood tip. I don't mind paying the money, I just don't want it swelling up and not lasting very long. Nice job on the tip dibby, you got any Australian Jarrah wood from old outback railway sleepers laying around.....:)

well Yeah . . . . . . .. . . duh! doesn't everyone?

Old Railway = toilet plumbing consisting of a through-hole to the tracks, not to mention what railroad ties may (?) be treated with. So . . .. . . . . . . . . . . count me in! :toast:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I'd like to see one with the bottom of the drip tip as wide as the top of the RM2. Well even with it except for the part that goes inside the RM2

hmmmmmm . . . . . .. .

Well, then, cap'n . . . . . what'd'ya think of this then now then?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . that's mineral oil ↑

looks great on the brass RM2 .. . . feels great on the face . . . .

getting there . . . . . . getting there ;)

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I'd like to see one with the bottom of the drip tip as wide as the top of the RM2. Well even with it except for the part that goes inside the RM2

mineral oil: and mixed with a bit of carnuba wax will make you waterproof and shiny - all at the same time! I am bald and any time there's rain forecast...

T

Well, I just oiled this last one, can I just wax it after it sets up a bit? I think I've got carnuba.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Well, I just oiled this last one, can I just wax it after it sets up a bit? I think I've got carnuba.

Are you putting the wax and oil on the inside as well as the outside?

When I make a piece, I have solid carnuba. It is hard as a rock. While the lathe is spinning, I put the wax on the piece. Then you can use a paper towel to buff it up. (Course, prior to the wax is the sanding sealer, etc. All food safe.)

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Are you putting the wax and oil on the inside as well as the outside?

When I make a piece, I have solid carnuba. It is hard as a rock. While the lathe is spinning, I put the wax on the piece. Then you can use a paper towel to buff it up. (Course, prior to the wax is the sanding sealer, etc. All food safe.)

. . . . . . . . . . . :blink: . . . . . . . . . nope.

I haven't made a "keeper" yet. But when I do......... do what? What's the sanding sealer for? Right now I'm just soaking them in mineral oil, buffing and vaping. I was gonna get some pure wax and waxit after the oil penetrates and dries off the surface a bit.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I was about to pull the trigger on a $35 wood tip but now I'm wondering if I should wait for the pdibby-Yves Saint Laurent- Helene Curtis designer line. BTW, did ya'll hear what happened to Helene Curtis.

When all this is said and done, Tree, my friend, I'm sure you'll be getting one as a gift.

Just holler when I get to where you wanna point your finger at one and claim it . . . .

. . .. or gimme a request

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
When all this is said and done, Tree, my friend, I'm sure you'll be getting one as a gift.

Just holler when I get to where you wanna point your finger at one and claim it . . . .

Tree- make sure he just uses carnuba and and the like

you know how he is about ...... on stuff...

:)

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville

:banana:Well, aw shucks... They all be purdy, pdib. I like surprises and picky I ain't. And, I'd treasure it even if you did pe.....wait, scratch that. Lets just say it'd be treasured, revered and vaped with pride.:vapor:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
:banana:Well, aw shucks... They all be purdy, pdib. I like surprises and picky I ain't. And, I'd treasure it even if you did pe.....wait, scratch that. Lets just say it'd be treasured, revered and vaped with pride.:vapor:

dude, now's the time to say what you've been picturing . . . long, short, fat, skinny, curvy, cannon, tapered (if I can do it). If you don't speak up, I'll just take a pic of everything I made and you'll have to pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread