Open Draw vs Tight Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragoncloud

Jan 10, 2014
United States
I've been told the more open draw creates more vapor but I haven't experienced that personally. Seems like the tanks I have with a more open draw produce a thinner vape cloud and irritate my throat. The tanks I have with a tighter draw, just from my own experience, create thicker vapor and don't irritate my throat as much.....I do realize the atty/carto head and custom builds are a factor but I'm using basic ~2ohm pro tank, iclear, kanger, ECA standard tanks.....I'm leaning more towards a tighter draw, what has been your experience and what do you prefer?

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
I started with the iClear30 and I liked the tight draw. Tried a Protank and it was way to airy for me. I agree with you on the thin vapor with an airy draw. I got one of the new iClear30b's and it seems to be between the other two. I find it perfect. I think if I was going to buy anything now, I would try out either the new Kanger Aero Tank or the Aspire Nautilus. Both of them allow you to adjust the draw to your liking. Pretty expensive for both. Especially the Nautilus.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
If you get more vapor from a tighter draw, that means you are also drawing more juice into your wicks and onto your coil, thus more vapor. In tank systems, generally the draw is tighter than, for example, an RDA, where more airflow does equal more vapor. In tanks, generally, the tighter airflow will draw more juice into the head, and you will get more vapor and flavor. Hope this helps!

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
there is a huge difference between draw's on tank style systems and dripper systems. My aga-t2(tank system) works better with a smaller hole. My trident (dripper) works well on the larger holes, but can be enjoyable at smaller holes.

a large hole will create a airy draw, which can help increase vapor production but it wont be the overall defined way to do so. It will also increase throat hit, and can decrease flavor as well.

other things that can help increase vapor production are higher vg levels, lower resistance, voltage, breathing control and lung capacity

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
The vaping "experience" is a balance of voltage, air flow, and juice flow (to the wick).

In a setup like a Protank, for example, as you draw on the drip tip, you create a partial vacuum inside the tube. Although the wick will be bringing juice in from the tank to the coil (because that's what wicks do) you still help pull some juice into the center tube with the vacuum you create.

More air flow can mean less of a vacuum, meaning less juice in total getting to the coil, making for a dry hit. A tighter draw can mean MORE vacuum, pulling in just a tad more juice, making for a richer hit.

It's kind of a balancing act, and it's more difficult to do with a tank like a Kanger because the air channels cut into the base don't allow you to pinch off the air flow below a certain point.

Idiah

Jan 14, 2014
Spokane, WA, USA
you can get a trident clone for under 20 bucks or any rda that has adjustable air flow, which is my favorite feature since I can cloud chase at home with the larger air holes and not make a scene at work by picking a smaller air hole.

Kanger also has the AeroTank which has adjustable airflow and uses Kanger replacement heads for those who don't want to/ are not quit experienced enough to do rebuilds. I just got one and so far I'm loving it. havn't had an airy draw but it is a fairly loose draw.
just my $0.02

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
I started with the iClear30 and I liked the tight draw. Tried a Protank and it was way to airy for me. I agree with you on the thin vapor with an airy draw. I got one of the new iClear30b's and it seems to be between the other two. I find it perfect. I think if I was going to buy anything now, I would try out either the new Kanger Aero Tank or the Aspire Nautilus. Both of them allow you to adjust the draw to your liking. Pretty expensive for both. Especially the Nautilus.

KangerTech AeroTank Base - Sun-Vapers.com

buy that for 6 bucks and use on your pro tank 1/2 to make it into an adjustable airflow tank (ie- its a replacement base for the kanger aerotank, so you are pretty much turning it into an aerotank for 6 bucks).

ontopic- ever since I went with the nautilus tank I have been in heaven. I love the ability to customize the airflow and it is so nice. It was 30 some odd dollars well spent in my book! I will be buying the adapter for the PT to add the customization to my pt as well. I personally enjoy a slightly more open airflow, but variety is the spice of life and I like to switch it up too.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Like you said, depends on the atomizer, the build and watts vape at. The higher the watts, generally the more air is needed. It is one of those personal preference thingies once again. I like it loose enough to take lung hits, bit still like having a slight tug on the draw. This is why I prefer atomizers with adjustable air flow. Can dial in the draw to ones liking.

Dontknow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2013
Devon
Vaping is not like smoking a cagarette.
A tighter draw seems a bit like smoking as you suck on the device without any "holdback".
But the get the best out of vaping - is a little different. Press the switch (button) and slowly draw the vapour into your mouth. This is not the same a sucking on a cigarette.
Just draw the vapour into your mouth - even slowly. It's a different action...
More air makes a lighter draw - more vapour.
Less air a tighter draw - less vapour.
Its a bit counterintuitive - but buy into it - it is like that...
Go for a lighter draw (more air) gentle draws. There is no rush - you'll get a better result...
Slow down - relax, enjoy it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread