opinions on using silica cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the silica cord that I have on hand. I like how well it wicks but hate how fragile it is. I cut off a small length of the cord and wrapped it in a thin layer of cotton. Once I installed it in my existing coil, I was so impressed, I logged into ecf to share. Almost immediately I could tell improvement in both flavor and vapor. I encourage someone else to try and see what they think if it's not already been done.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Is there a way to wrap silica without using a thin needle to keep it straight? My coils come out very messy without the needle.

Maybe use braided tupe silica lick ecowool? You could put you mandrel inside the tube of silica and then wrap over it? I would love to use silica if it was easier to get it inside a coil.

I use 3mm ReadyxWick. It doesn't fall apart, has no taste and is pretty firm...

What would be the smallest ID coil, used with 2x3mm RW?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
3mm braided silica wick.

$3.17 Braided Silica Wick for Rebuildable Atomizers - 3.0mm*5m at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

1680405-2.jpg

Reactions: GeorgeS

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
They also have 2mm...

I know. What I want to know is. Can I get 2 or more strands of 3mm into a 2-2.5mm coil? If I Have a coil and want to put some of the 3mm silica like what you use, or unbranded braided. What is the minimum ID coil I could get the stuff into. Or am I limited to winding coils over the wick. I know silica can be pulled through the coil with a fish line.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I know. What I want to know is. Can I get 2 or more strands of 3mm into a 2-2.5mm coil? If I Have a coil and want to put some of the 3mm silica like what you use, or unbranded braided. What is the minimum ID coil I could get the stuff into. Or am I limited to winding coils over the wick. I know silica can be pulled through the coil with a fish line.

No idea. I use 32 gauge and just wrap the coil around the wick...

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
This thread put a smile on my face. I remember back when people were asking "Does anyone use cotton? How does it compare to silica?"

Most people switched to cotton and/or rayon for their superior wicking properties and cleaner taste. When I did use silica, I preferred the medium-sized one. I can't recall the exact size, but around 3 years ago there were only 3 sizes.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
This thread put a smile on my face. I remember back when people were asking "Does anyone use cotton? How does it compare to silica?"

Most people switched to cotton and/or rayon for their superior wicking properties and cleaner taste. When I did use silica, I preferred the medium-sized one. I can't recall the exact size, but around 3 years ago there were only 3 sizes.

I for one find the Silica give a better and cleaner flavor. I also thought it wicked better. The reason I use cotton instead, is simplicity. Is easier to insert a piece of cotton into a coil than silica. Grated if I was using silica, I would only need to do the insertion once. When the wick/coil get dirty I could rinse and dry burn, rather than having to rewick.

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
I for one find the Silica give a better and cleaner flavor. I also thought it wicked better. The reason I use cotton instead, is simplicity. Is easier to insert a piece of cotton into a coil than silica. Grated if I was using silica, I would only need to do the insertion once. When the wick/coil get dirty I could rinse and dry burn, rather than having to rewick.

I tried going back to silica last month. It was a no-go for me. I get a plastic flavor out of it. Went through around 1ml of juice and the flavor never disappeared. That might just be me though.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I just started playing with silica rope. My Ti coils "expand" a bit unless I torch them so a untorched 2.5mm coil fits a 3.0mm silica wick.

I cut one end at a long diagonal so that its sort of "pointy" and gives my tweezers something to grab from the other side.

I like how it wicks, I noticed a different flavor over using cotton the first time I used it. I like the idea that it does not degrade like cotton/rayon does and it has a crazy high temperature before it starts to get burnt.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread