Status
Not open for further replies.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
anyone ever have problems with shorts on the orion? i had read that the orion is a little more finicky with the setup compared to other genesis style hybrids but i could not imagine why...well, i've blown like 4 coils now and have not even had a chance to vape the thing yet! any advice out there?

I never had an issue until I tried to make a setup for a friend with him sitting there watching me :facepalm: It really comes down to that wick's oxidation and a short from the coil, to the wick, and possibly the wick to the wick hole.

First, I suggest using 32g (.20mm) kanthal or even 30g because it is more durable... If you are using the kanthal that was provided by Nosmoker, I suggest a braided coil and go 4/5 wraps (some people go with 3/4 or even 2/3, but it is 2 hot for me - I typically run 32g 3/4 wrap).

Second, it comes down to oxidation of the wick. Try burning some VG based e-liquid (boba's works well for this) on the wick were it goes through the hole and the coil is wrapped. If you get a short and blow a coil, well good idea to re-oxidize or burn some liquid on it before wrapping another that may very well hit that same shorted spot.

You can also use your fresh coil/wick with a battery that isn't fully charged to start its break-in.

Third, watch the contact between the wick and those washers. They can be close, and even touching if the oxidation is good and doesn't break... but usually that is a culprit, so keep it a hair away from washers.

I wear 2x reading glasses to see what I am doing :)

There are a few ways to make a wick or coil (I use a combination of Jack Frost method and traditional for the wick). But take your time no matter the method, and most of all keep your patience. The end result is well worth it.

brian272465

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
florida
anyone ever have problems with shorts on the orion? i had read that the orion is a little more finicky with the setup compared to other genesis style hybrids but i could not imagine why...well, i've blown like 4 coils now and have not even had a chance to vape the thing yet! any advice out there?

Insulate the wick hole with a m2 nylon shoulder washer

brian272465

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
florida
Wick holes do not need to be insulated if the mesh is prepared properly. Do that right and 95% of your problems are over with.

I know it doesn't need to be insulated but it makes it a lot easier for some one just starting out on a geni pv. Id say about 80% of newbs problems come from the wick shorting in the wick hole . Just giving a idea how to make seting it up easier.

aziffel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2010
nc

Tighten the nut on the washers (Neg.connection I guess since the battery is upside down)till you have a couple of threads showing above the nut.I popped about 6 coils at that connection the instant I hit the button.After tightening the nut,the short went away,maybe just a poor connection.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
thanks jolly, aziffel, brian, and countless others for the orion tips! just got a great deal on an unused orion v1 off the classies - wrapped the coil, oxidized the wick but cannot run it yet, haha. does anyone know what kind of battery spacer is needed for the v1? can anyone please post a link to where i might purchase one? when i searched the googles, the bulk of such info was previously posted on UK vapers, sigh.

your help is much appreciated on this one, gang!

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
sorry tierrataz, i don't have a camera. the model i believe is the v1.1b with pailpoe switch. the bottom endcap is concave with a pretty large hole that is exactly .5 cm. the mod has not been used yet. the hole is exactly where the nipple end of the battery would make contact, so you can actually see the nipple part now, when the battery is inserted. thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Keegan1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Delaware
thanks tierrataz, don't sweat it; i'm sure some folks will help! i'm trying to use a 16340, but there is a .5 cm hole right in the center of the endcap, so the battery's nipple end does not contact a metal surface.

I think some people are pressing a brass plug into the hole to make contact.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread