Over steeping??

Status
Not open for further replies.
some random thoughts:
I'm trying to make full flavored juices that are usable at 6 weeks or less, then have a shelf life of at least 1 year.
Have you noticed salt based liquids stay clear? when a juice turns black I think it has expired beyond its shelf life. I don't consider that over-steeping, just beyond its shelf life.

Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
I do not think you can over steep. You can leave a liquid too long sitting around, and that would be subject to more than color.
I have several batches around that are a year or more old that are great and clear, they just don't get the love that my 4 or so daily mixes do.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Only way I know of to slow down and preserve the flavors you love is to put the bigger bottles in the fridge. If I make more than 30ml (and I do on fruit flavorings) i only keep around 30 ml out at room temp for filling tanks. I had all sorts of flavors last 2 yrs or more and still taste the same as the day I put them in there.

YMMV. Oh, I do keep my fridge on the really cold side of the dial.....

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can over steep in the sense that some flavors fade over time and/or your mix can become unbalanced, in the sense that some flavors intensify. So, something that tasted great at two weeks may be awful on down the line.

There are ways around this, such as yes, refrigerating to stop chemical reactions if you have a lot of a mix that you feel is "perfect" and you've got a known flavor changer in it steeping away, you can wait to add ingredients that fade, such as citruses (or for me) rhubarb is a known offender. You can add more of what ingredient is missing, and continue vaping. You can also create slightly large quantities of a particular "long steeper" like creams or custards or whatnot. I have a Bavarian cream that's about 9 months old and great for adding to other mixes (although pretty soon here I may refrigerate it, it's certainly done steeping.)

But in general, unless you have known offenders most of your mixes shouldn't exactly over steep.

If you are talking about very strange tastes, particulate in the eliquid, darkening much more than you would consider reasonable, something just being "off" well that might be likely to be something more like contamination.

I like to use the dark glass bottles with droppers for my mixes when I can since it exposes them to less light. Etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: CosmicTruth

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I keep a 30ml bottle in my car that has NO nic,, it stays clear,, in a hot car and sometimes a lot of sunlight. the same recipe turns dark brown and doesnt taste good if it has Nic under the same conditions. (in my experience,, heat and oxygen are what discolors nic, my freezer stash is still crystal clear)

just an fyi. (fwiw,, its a bakery flavor and not 'sweetened',,,, so I have to believe the Nic doesn't like harsher storage conditions.)

before anyone panics,, I vape a lot so this bottle lasts me about 3 days when I am running all over town,, its not juice that sits around for months or anything.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
First of all im grateful gor that info... but just letting you all know thst i just realized that i forgot that i added some other flavor to the mix the other day so thats what made it it terrible... however im grateful that i picked up on all this knowledge anyway :) thanks.

the same recipe turns dark brown and doesnt taste good if it has Nic under the same conditions.
I had been told that it is the nicotine causing the discoloration, I learned by experimentation it is actually the PH of the base that causes the discoloration. Salt base nic has a different PH and stays clear at the same nicotine level as my FB juices.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread