Panasonic NCR18650A, Panasonic CGR18650CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
The panasonic cgr's (calliesKustom) are IMR and have been proven to be the best cells available without a doubt. The AW are also great batteries but are not as good as the callies.They are the only two cells i will use.
So Callie the T-Shirt printer sees the word manganese in a press release and declares the Panasonic an IMR? :)

IMR has always referred to cells that are LiMn2O4, these Panasonics you claim as IMR are of a different chemistry... period.

Panasonic in their own literature only compares them to IMRs, saying "like the LiMn2O4".

http://www.pohl-electronic.de/pdf/Panasonic/CGR18650CH.pdf

Overpaying for Callie's generic re-wraps is silly BTW, the same cells can always be found at better prices.

As far as your 'proven best cell' claim let's take a look at this TrustFire.

TrustFire%20TF18650%203000mAh%20(Flame)-Capacity.png

If we use 3.3V as a vaping/loaded cut-off @ 3A the TF gets to 2100mAh. Looking at SuperT's lower 2.5A test the Panasonic only makes to 1800mAh.

So the TF at an additional 20% amp load, still manages to get 17% more mAh than the best battery. :)

As the kids would say, PWNED.

Lets look at them at 3V. Pretty much the same story. At the same additional amp disadvantage the TF manages about 15% more mAh than the 'best' Panasonic.

They may not be 3000mAh but they certainly do a fine job, even at 5A they still produce about the same ending mAh.

I have to salute forcedfuel50 for analyzing real data and not using a one-size-fits-all approach to his recommendations.

And as far as longevity if you were to peruse the specs sheets of some of larger players; Sanyo, Panasonic, Moli, Samsung etc. you'll note that at about as little as 110 full charge cycles performance starts to drop by about ~4% and continues to drop as the charge cycles add up.

Here's one more test, where the tester made a point of saying that his AW IMRs were about a year old and never abused vs new Panasonic high drains.

AW_old_P_3a.gif

Compare this test to forcedfuel's I think it's obvious that time and use have taken a toll on the AWs.

Food for thought.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Ugggh..battery specs make my brain hurt. I do not know why as I am usually into techie stuff and charts. Bottom line is I have several 18650 pvs between my wife and I. We have Provari V2, 2 Silver Bullets, YJ Starfire Lavatube v2, Lambo V4 lavatube, eGo 18650, Bolt w/18650 sleeve, REO Grand, Indulgence. For batteries, we have 1x Flame 2400mah Trustfire, 1X AW IMR 2000mah, 2 blue unbranded 2000mah that came with her Starfire lavatube, and just bought 6 Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mah batts. Only the Trustfire is a bit longer than standard but fits fine in the SB. They are all nipple top except for the blue ones.

Which ones are good and which ones aren't? I am guessing we are good on all except maybe the blue unbranded batts from ecigcharleston.com

Are certain ones better for specific devices we have? Thanks for the specific help. I would have started a new thread and asked but this is the only thread mentioning the NCR18650A and thought I would put it here for future readers as well as many of these are popular PV's.

misterkai

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
San Diego
Ugggh..battery specs make my brain hurt. I do not know why as I am usually into techie stuff and charts. Bottom line is I have several 18650 pvs between my wife and I. We have Provari V2, 2 Silver Bullets, YJ Starfire Lavatube v2, Lambo V4 lavatube, eGo 18650, Bolt w/18650 sleeve, REO Grand, Indulgence. For batteries, we have 1x Flame 2400mah Trustfire, 1X AW IMR 2000mah, 2 blue unbranded 2000mah that came with her Starfire lavatube, and just bought 6 Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mah batts. Only the Trustfire is a bit longer than standard but fits fine in the SB. They are all nipple top except for the blue ones.

Which ones are good and which ones aren't? I am guessing we are good on all except maybe the blue unbranded batts from ecigcharleston.com

Are certain ones better for specific devices we have? Thanks for the specific help. I would have started a new thread and asked but this is the only thread mentioning the NCR18650A and thought I would put it here for future readers as well as many of these are popular PV's.

NCR1860A batteries are excellent, but do not in fact have a nipple. I used them for 4 months in my Lavatube, and then I just put little blobs of solder on the tips to make nipples so I could use them with the Provari v2 I got last month. These batteries have worked wonderfully in both devices and I would recommend them and will absolutely buy them again. I can vape on my Provari at 4.4 volts with a Boge 3 ohm carto for 2 days solid (sometimes closer to 3 days) without a problem. That seems pretty good to me!

*Edit: Are these the batteries you were speaking of? I thought you meant the unprotected NCR18650A's which are flat tops...

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Panasonic cells, like the NCR18650A 3100mah are generally very good. However you have to bare in mind these are unprotected cells, made by Panasonic mainly for use in battery packs, rather than for sale to the average consumer. The CGR's are a "safer" chemistry but I'm not sure how a NCR18650A would react to a dead short. Also the Panasonic cells have a very thin plastic wrapping on them which can be easily damaged by any burrs or edges in a mod.

They are often re-wrapped by third party companies who add a protection circuit - companies who do this who use high quality Panasonic cells include AW, Redilast, Keeppower, SenyBor, Callies Kustoms. You can even buy protected Panasonic's through DealExtreme now and they appear to be the real deal.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
NCR1860A batteries are excellent, but do not in fact have a nipple. I used them for 4 months in my Lavatube, and then I just put little blobs of solder on the tips to make nipples so I could use them with the Provari v2 I got last month. These batteries have worked wonderfully in both devices and I would recommend them and will absolutely buy them again. I can vape on my Provari at 4.4 volts with a Boge 3 ohm carto for 2 days solid (sometimes closer to 3 days) without a problem. That seems pretty good to me!

*Edit: Are these the batteries you were speaking of? I thought you meant the unprotected NCR18650A's which are flat tops...

Yes, that looks like them. The second link, the green ones. Looking a little closer it looks kind of like a flat nipple to me. :confused: I got them here Panasonic 18650 Battery and they also came with this piece of crap Lambo Variable Volt Tube Mod

It looks like a nipple top with the smaller round metal disc in the center but I notice now that it is much flatter than say the nipple on my AW IMR or the Trustfire flame, yet still a touch higher than my flat top IMR 18350's.

So they are ok to use in all of my mods except in the Provari as long as I am careful not to damage the wrap?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread