Part of ECF a while but had an "emergency" I needed to post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randi

Dec 11, 2011
Ohio
Hi Everybody. First of all I LOVE ECF. I have used this site (as a lurker...sorry) for years to get opinions and learn and it's priceless!
Before I get to my "emergency" to be polite, I feel I should introduce myself. I've been COMPLETELY analog free since the summer of 2010. I literally quit by "accident. I was at the community pool and walked my friend to her car just to have a smoke and she asked why I don't get an e-cig just to smoke at the pool. Within a few days I had my first e-cig (standard 510) at my doorstep and I NEVER looked back, even after 20+ years of 1-2 packs a day. Yay :)

I currently use Provari, reo vv and v-mod. I carry them all with me at all times....just in case I have technical issues with 2 out of three so I'm covered (which has never happened lol)
As far as juice, I've literally tried 100 different vendors over the years and have a few favorites but as of 6 months ago started mixing my own pg/vg. As of a month ago, I ordered all vg ingredients and am looking forward to making the time to try just vg :vapor:

When anybody asks me what that is in my hand....I enjoy sharing what I know. I feel like I could be saving a life!

Now, for my "emergency!! I'm glad I'm finally introducing myself and the reason that brought me to do this is so scary!!!!!

I was sitting on my couch and heard a "pop". I looked around but went back to what I was doing. Suddenly, I started smelling burning and seeing smoke. I freaked out and didn't see anything and my son said "in your purse!!" I frantically spilled the contents of my purse out and realized my zippered tote, I have with me at all time to carry my extra mods and batteries, was basically on fire! It has a separate, zippered compartment on the bottom that I carry a few juices in.

I had to use a towel to get it into the bathtub because it was melting and smoking as I watched. I ran the water and it hissed and sizzled. The zipper was inoperable so with the towel I was able to pull the still soft, melted vinyl/plastic apart to empty the contents. Sad to say, both my provari's and my vmod were in there so I can only pray that they're ok but that's the least of it!! What the heck happened!!

The "blackened" battery is from a good, reliable manufacturer. AW IMR 183503.7V 7--mAh

What it happened while we were sleeping? In all these years I've never had anything like this happen before. This battery wasn't even in a mod. It was just in my bag as an extra when I needed it.

Sorry this is so long but OMG.:blink::ohmy:

Any advice/experiences with this?
Thank you!!!

xSoyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA, USA
It was, along with many other batteries, in a zippered pouch. I've been using the pouch for a long time too. Have I just been lucky this hasn't happened before?
Thanks

Most likely just really lucky. If you've ever seen the trick where a person takes a gum wrapper (the kind you'd find on extra gum with the metal-colored outsides) and touches it to both ends of a battery and starts a fire.. i'd think it'd be something akin to that.

xSoyer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Ashburn, VA, USA
The very next thing I'm going to purchase is a portable battery case. Wow. My heart is still racing. I pray that my other mods weren't damaged since they were in there too! Thanks everyone for your quick responses!!

Until you get it, i found using prescription pill bottles worked wonders. They each store one 18650, and i never have to worry about them accidentally discharging in my bag.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
Battery safety cannot be stressed enough. With the older alkaline batteries you could easily start a fire, most often the just discharged completely while heating something up you did not want heated. They can be dangerous though.
The batteries we are using for vaping are serious business, they store ALOT of juice and will pretty much turn any material with conductivity to a heating element capable of lighting almost any combustible. The spare battery for my flashlight used 2 wrenches to start my leather tool bag on fire because I am a dork and did not put the rubber safety caps on it before throwing it in my tool pouch. I am lucky it was on my shoulder when it started smoking and not in the office building or at home. It is essentially the same battery used for vaping.

I am glad everyone is OK :)

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
WOW! I'm glad you and your family are all okay. That could have very easily gone completely wrong and had a very different outcome.

I tend to carry my spare batteries in my pockets (never more than 2 batteries), BUT that is the only thing that will be in the pocket. Change, keys, candy, you name it, all go into a different pocket.

After reading this however, I am going to invest in a new solution ... just in case! I hope your vaping gear survives this ordeal, it would suck to have to replace it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread