Jan 7, 2009
Montgomery County Pa

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-Serif]And questions have also been raised about the effects of heating glycerin. When burned, glycerin is known to be carcinogenic."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-Serif].....[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Sans-Serif]Is this the same glycerin used in the nicotine liquid for e-cigarettes?[/FONT]

Yes, glycerin when burned or heated at very high temperatures can give off acrolein, which is regardes as carcinogenic. But, it is not burned in our ecigs. The report authored by Dr. Murray Laugesen with regard to Ruyan liquid specifically tests for acrolein, and finds it either missing or present in such small quantities as to be considered safe. This leads to the conclusion that glycerin is apparently not heated in ecigs to such a high temperature as to be dangerous.

You can read his report here: http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartridgeReport30-Oct-08.pdf

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Interesting article TB .....I can vaguely remember years ago taking up smoking something that was marketed as a 'safer cigarette' and then they suddenly stopped selling it.....I can't even remember what they were called now (I think I must be getting senile dimensia lol) ....I don't think I even found out at the time 'why' they stopped selling them. Reading that article I guess they might have been the ones made from wood pulp.

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
According to the Ruyan report, is the electronic cigarette safe or not,

if its not what are we doing and if it is why are we still trying to stay away from the words "healthier alternative"

-The Ruyan study does only cover the piezo atomizer system, NOT the cheap design heater models around. They're not safe at all (insufficent liquid oil cups, liquid can easily get in your mouth; autocleaning cycle is intented to burn off liquid crusts from the heater element at red glowing ~500C , inhaling while running is poisonous, but I've not seen the controller switching it off if the sensor detects airflow while running it, yet, and more issues still to develop out and sensorless manual switch models are to be considered very dangerous cause there can't be any automatic temperature control at all in such designs, no sensor-actor system.)

-Fullfill the WHO's reasoned request to get under regulatory frameworks, ask heater model manufacturers to carry out medical scientfic practice conformant studies, CE "self-certification" e.g. is worth nothing at all. Using such pure marketing fakes is not serious and will never be approved.

Last edited:

tribalmasters

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2008
United Kingdom
Who knows? Maybe there is no such thing as a safe cigarette, wouldn't it be a perfect world if there was a safe cigarette you lit like a normal cigarette (without the ash of course), required no batteries, didn't stink and tasted like a normal cigarette, had the choice of smoke or no smoke and avoided smoking ban?

Well guess what? ITS ALMOST HERE!! Surely there has to be someone working on it in light of all the smoking bans going on! In the meantime we are stuck with the electronic cigarette, it comes close!

Taelon

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2008
DE-Germany
-The Ruyan study does only cover the piezo atomizer system, NOT the cheap design heater models around. They're not safe at all (insufficent liquid oil cups, liquid can easily get in your mouth

I must correct this. The oil cups of mouth pieces are safe if used once, but if You refill them they may leak cause of the accumulated condensate after some refilling turns, so make sure to blow it out (DSE901) or push the tank out and dry up the oil cup (DSE103) before refill and don't overfill the tank, less amount filling is better than too much.

Last edited:

Lorddrek

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2009
What a great article. This should be a "Must read" for all forum members.

Some highlights that concern the future of E-Cigs:

The cigarette industry's efforts to market safer cigarettes have been met with fierce opposition by antitobacco activists, who want to see such products labeled as nicotine delivery devices and subjected to government regulations.

But those products ran into a new set of problems because they were no longer a naturally occurring tobacco product but a synthetic creation about which health claims were being made. That meant government regulators viewed the tobacco substitutes more like drugs, subjecting them to a regulatory morass that the cigarette makers wanted to avoid.

And the (Premier) cigarette faced a lengthy regulatory battle after public health officials argued it should be regulated by the FDA as a drug.

As Dietrich Hoffmann of the American Health Foundation says, "The best cigarette is no cigarette."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread