Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
Did I read somewhere that there is a Penelope/Oddy clone? Something with a tank, perhaps?
Don't get me wrong, I'd just go buy another Penelope if there was any available...but I don't have the time to wait in line for 6 months or so until Imeo gets around to building more. If there's a clone that's affordable and actually works, that'd be worth while for me....and in stock, I'll add.

scalewiz

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
Don't really like to see someone copy another's hard work, but the Ody is very hard to get, as is most of his products. However, the new Terminator tank is pretty good. I got one from SVC the other day and I simply can't put it down! Easy and fun to rebuild. The only drawback is that it only holds 3 ml of juice when dry. For its size I wish it held more. Buying expansion parts will be really expensive! One of the first things I did is to polish it, to give it the mirror finish more like the original. After that, it is simply gorgeous. Very well made. The thing is a rock; I don't have a scale but I bet it's close to a half pound. I've got a couple other rebuildable attys, but this tank replaces them all.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
May I ask you how you polished it? I have 2 Terminators and 1 Odysseus and soon another( when parts get here) I would like to polish up my Ody that I got used and would like to polish off the scuffs.

I felt the same about copies of others peoples work, especially when its an exact copy. I can understand someone using a good product as a basis, such as the basic set up, but since the Ody was discontinued and on top of that so hard to get I can see the idea of why. I usually find that most clones are made with the idea of churning out tons of them to make a buck and usually they really cut quality down, but at least with the Terminator it was made with quality in mind and with keeping the integrity of the originals reputation in mind. Its so well made, and so nicely finished and performs amazingly like the original.

Keep in mind The Terminator/Nautilus are great quality. There is going to be others made by china manufacturers after January.They are going to be clones of the clone and might not be as well made but a lot less expensive, so beware when making the decision to purchase them. They most likely will be good, but there might be similar problems like when the Vivi Nova came out, wtih copies not being good.

The terminator is solid stainless steel and I think all the parts inside are too. If they werent, by now we would be able to see brass showing as the nuts take alot of abuse. The cheaper ones will probably me plate chrome, brass and will probably not last forever like the Terminator or of course the Odysseus which will last for a life time.

Last edited:

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I do own a Penelope, and it's been solid. Once I learned the ins and outs of it, it's rare that I muck up a coil anymore. I've got enough wick/wire to rebuild her for many years.
In my search for something else that worked well, I acquired a few genesis'...and I just don't like them. I don't want to mess around with SS mesh and oxydizing and all of that crap. I like that I can unwind a few nuts and wrap my coil on some wick, plug it in and off we go.

There are only a few reasons that I appreciate clones; they get the technology out to the people that probably can't afford the real-deal, or don't know if they want to drop that much cash on something that they might not like, and a situation like the GG has with demand being MUCH higher than supply. Imeo does great work, his pieces are more like art than PVs, they're gorgeous, and fantastic, and you can really tell that he takes the time on them. The PVs, that's understandable. When we're talking about an atomizer that can re-shape the way rebuildables work...now we're just holding back progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread