Not open for further replies.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I had no soapy taste in my ceramic, I rinsed with water before putting inside the ceramic,

On a side note... speaking of beer, anyone have beer oven roasted turkey? (cause its awesome)

Anything cooked in beer is awesome. I tried rice n beans cooked in beer MMm. Rabbit stew cooked in beer MMmm. And for desert a woman soaked in beer mmmm

cw007

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio
I need to order some braided silica rope wick from mcmaster-carr but what size do I want to get for my Penelope and I want the round wick too rite?

Thanks

Hey man, I feel your pain!

Here's some secondary sources for wick and wire, when CoV is out of stock:

.999 Silver NR wire: Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

Nichrome 32 AWG R wire: Resistance heating wire Nichrome 32 awg 100 ft | eBay

Kanthal 32 AWG R wire: Kanthal A-1 32 awg resistance heating wire 200 ft, | eBay

Braided silica rope wick: McMaster-Carr

Nextel braided ceramic wick: Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

Hope that's able to tide you over til the next restock!

Edit: If it's not okay to link to other products in a retailer page, feel free to delete my post. I just don't like the idea of people out there not being able to use their Penelopes. :D

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
IMO the 34g IS the wire of choice for getting around 3ohm coils on an Ody/Penelope. The 32g wire rquires way too much length to obtain 3ohms. You end up with 6+ wick wraps or too much res wire in the side channels. The basic rule I've found is if you're looking for under 2.4ohms, go 32g, higher ohms, go 34g. This ends up making a nicely spaced, easy to manage, 4-5 wrap coil (on double/triple wicks) that vapes like crazy.

A 2.5ohm coil running 5volts = roughly 10.42 watts. That will be a slightly warmer than usual vape. It will also crush battery life lol. 3ohms is the lowest you'de want to go with 5 volts and not be changing batteries every 2-3 hours. The sweet wattage at 5v is a 3.1-3.5 ohm coil. You still get it hot enough to make good vapor without decimating your battery life. The ideal wattage for vapor production + battery life = 7-9 watts, 8 being the sweet spot.

Others please feel free to comment on this as I too am still learning. It's impossible to have too much information on this subject.

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Yea so the way I've kind of worked it out it depends what you're using. I can't remember the exact numbers and I'm not going to look them up right now but the amp draw from your battery is like 60-70 percent more when using the same wattage on a lower ohm coil. Meaning you chew through batteries way faster.

Again not exact numbers, going from memory.

A 2.0 ohm coil at 3.9 volts is around 8 amps.
A 3.0 ohm coil at 4.8 volts is around 8 amps.

Which means the vape is essentially the same in both situations but the 2.0ohm will drain battery much faster. If using a variable voltage device I would personally chose the higher ohm coil because you can replicate the lower ohm vaping experience and use less battery.

With a fixed voltage device you get an average of 3.7 volts when using AW IMR's. The batteries come off the charger at 4.2 and fade to 3.4 or whenever you cut them off. I wouldn't go much lower then 3.4 though before charging. A 3.0ohm coil in that situation won't be very good because the max you will be vaping at is 4.2 volts and eventually down to 3.4 or however low you drop your battery. For many people this is simply too low. So you have to make a lower ohm coil to adjust to your vaping sweet spot.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Here's a nice calc I use:
Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

Input and two factors and you'll get the rest of the info.
Right now I have a 2.9 ohm coil at 5.4v Thats 10.05 watts and 1.86 amps. Normally I'd have this coil at 5v (8.6 watts) but I've got the Ody in Full mode and with longer mouth piece the vape was a bit cool by the time it got to my mouth. The Penelope has longer mouth piece too so you might need a bit more wattage than what you are used to.

I'm not 100% convinced higher resistance/higher voltage equals longer battery life. In my example above the 1.86 amps is the current from booster to atty. I suspect the current from battery to booster goes higher as the selected voltage goes higher and actually taxes the battery more. This is why high drain batts are called for. I don't have the equipment or knowledge to test this but I think wattage will give you a better idea of what to expect for battery life, regardless of which way you get it. Maybe somebody with more info will chime in. I'm talking about single battery, boosted mods. Stacked batts regulated down would be a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread