Penelope Wick and NR wire... :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
Here's a chart I've found. Anything in the green areas (wattage) gives a better battery life IMO. I'm back to 1.5-2 days on my 18650's with 3.0ohm+4.9Volts.

Hope it's big enough to read.
vapingchart.jpg

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
Ok thanks for the info gonna order some 34 gauge now. How much resistance wire do i want to use? Also how many wraps too? Thanks for all the info.

For me it's a 1.5 inch area between r/nr connections. The connections themselves are less than 1/8 inch. Some may make connections bigger or smaller, but they count towards the total ohms. So I shoot for as small as possible.

Here's how I manage to get the lengths pretty exact without too much trouble.

1. I cut a 2.5 inch piece of 34g NiCh and make one NR connection to it.
2. Measure 1.5 inches from the r/nr connection and put a bend in the R wire at 1.5 inches out.
3. Use that bend as the starting place of your other connection.

I always try to get the connections as short as possible. After the first twisting I cut off any excess that would extend out of the 4x finish wraps. This leaves the connections strong and small. Holding the first twists between your finger nails makes wrapping the final wraps much easier as the wire wont bend and move around while you're wrapping it.

The total R wire on the finished prduct is about 1.75 inches including the connections. The usable length between the connections is 1.5 inches. This makes 4 good wraps on a triple wick without it being too tight. That will get you a 2.9-3.1ohm coil every time.

Vapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Orlando, Florida
This is my first time buying a rebuildable atomizer.

I was wondering for a 3.7v device....what kind of wires do i need?

AppendixG listed a bunch of websites but they all seem so alien to me. Can someone please explain to me the materials necessary to make the Penelope work?

I know i need a wick....but how about the wires? the spec of the wires?

Im grateful for your patience!

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Here's a chart I've found. Anything in the green areas (wattage) gives a better battery life IMO. I'm back to 1.5-2 days on my 18650's with 3.0ohm+4.9Volts.

Hope it's big enough to read.
View attachment 119600

Hey Dave, where did you get this chart? I can barely make it out and it's a little concerning because it says " safe vaping". From what I can see, I like living dangerously on the edge lol.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
Ok thanks for the info gonna order some 34 gauge now. How much resistance wire do i want to use? Also how many wraps too? Thanks for all the info.

There is lots of great info here cw and an excellent starting point, but the truth is there are so many variables including the most important one, your own personal vaping preference. My advice is to use this info as a guide, but buy yourself a multimeter and do some of your own experimenting.

K3RRY

Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
SoCal
Here ya go! for the blindies like me squinting like a ....
found on ukvapers
this chart is for single coil, not accurate for dual coils
I found it accurate on a strong battery charge with my provari. Towards the end of battery life I still have to pump up .1-.3 volts to achieve the same wattage, but thats a different topic about the provari.

(ecf reduces the resolution) click here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/44843475/Safe Vaping Chart.jpg

Safe%20Vaping%20Chart.jpg

Last edited:

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
There is lots of great info here cw and an excellent starting point, but the truth is there are so many variables including the most important one, your own personal vaping preference. My advice is to use this info as a guide, but buy yourself a multimeter and do some of your own experimenting.

Very true. All we can do is post our own experiences as a reference to others. YMMV. The more we share, the more we learn!

Back to the salt mine I go.....

Vapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Orlando, Florida
The premade wires from COV are perfect for that device. If you can't manage those, 32g Nichrome wire and the .999 silver No resistance wire.

Here's a good video on how to make the wires. Review of the Odysseus repairable atomiser for electronic cigarettes by E-Cig-Reviews.com Coil making starts @ 6:25 into the video. It's for the Ody, but it's pretty much the same thing.

I've been stalking the COV website ever since i made my Penelope order and its always been sold out lol :(

Is it correct that i should use the 30ga. silver wire from here? Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

Also, would you happen to know if Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving this wick is safe/er than the regular silica wicks? I read this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous-101.html and using regular silica wick seems pretty dangerous. I was thinking of just using cotton or gauze for the wick.

Thanks!

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
I've been stalking the COV website ever since i made my Penelope order and its always been sold out lol :(

Is it correct that i should use the 30ga. silver wire from here? Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

Also, would you happen to know if Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving this wick is safe/er than the regular silica wicks? I read this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous-101.html and using regular silica wick seems pretty dangerous. I was thinking of just using cotton or gauze for the wick.

Thanks!

Yes, the 30g .999 is the correct NR wire. I've not used that site to purchase it though. Any jewelry supply should have it.

I've not used the Nextel, but hear there is special prep work that's needed to use it. I doubt it's any safer than the silica though. The silica seems fine to me so far. I have very sensitive lungs when it comes to particles. So far I have not noticed any issues with silica wicks. The gauze/cheese cloth is a viable wick that more than a few members have told me was good to use. May take a bit of fiddling to get it right. But that's it. I did pick up a bundle of organic cheese cloth to try, but have not actually made one yet.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
couple questions for wick. is the 1/4" from mcmasters what i want? if so i think i read that i may need to separate the braids? should just guestimate against wick i have? di i need to burn it ?any help is appreciated.

The 1/4 will need to be broken down. eBay has silica wick going. I ordered from that guy and it's virtually the same darn thing.

Oh. Didn't post this yet on my other thread but will so in case bishop trolls through here....triple wick for the win

springfieldarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Albuquerque

Thanks!

That rio grande site is a good one. That's where I buy my NR wire becuase it's right up the street from me :)

springfieldarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Albuquerque
couple questions for wick. is the 1/4" from mcmasters what i want? if so i think i read that i may need to separate the braids? should just guestimate against wick i have? di i need to burn it ?any help is appreciated.

I seem to remember Imeo saying they tested the McMaster Carr stuff and it was found to be not so healthy for you. I could be wrong but I think I read it on one of these threads.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Got Penelope today. Was pretty excited. Broke the NR wire in half on the 3rd adjustment. Annoyed that it only came with 1 premade. Putting it away until somebody gets some in stock. Like having a Ferrari with no spark plugs.

Is that NR wire long enough to run down the Side channel? I don't know how far up you broke it but if you have enough of the length to run down the ceramic to the terminal and the broken tucked under the wick on the non ceramic, it may work. You just need contact there.

Side note. This is why I am a believer why at least TWO wires should come with it. COV sells for $1 so I don't think it's too much to ask for $2 worth of wire instead of $1.

Stadanko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
East Coast
Is that NR wire long enough to run down the Side channel? I don't know how far up you broke it but if you have enough of the length to run down the ceramic to the terminal and the broken tucked under the wick on the non ceramic, it may work. You just need contact there.

Side note. This is why I am a believer why at least TWO wires should come with it. COV sells for $1 so I don't think it's too much to ask for $2 worth of wire instead of $1.

Great idea. I will try with just the long wire... not broken. If I can find it in this pile. If that won't work could I double or triple (twist) some resistance wire for the side channels to cut down the resistance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread