Penelope Wick and NR wire... :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have to say everything has been great with the Penelope up until its time to get all the materials needed to use the Penelope...So all materials are out for the Pen and see they are going to put some of the materials up on the site so I sign up for notification when stock is available...Shortly after I start recieving notifications that there is Wick now and some wire, I go to the site and repeatedly get 500 server errors just trying to add material to my cart....this goes on for 30+ minutes...Guess what?? Wick is out of stock now and still no NR wire.. Sorry but I really want to enjoy this purchase and I am now frustrated with whole thing!! I do however have a nice coil I was able to make with the ONE pre-made wire from Imeo....

:mad:

-Thanks for listening

AppendixG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
USA
Hey man, I feel your pain!

Here's some secondary sources for wick and wire, when CoV is out of stock:

.999 Silver NR wire: Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

Nichrome 32 AWG R wire: Resistance heating wire Nichrome 32 awg 100 ft | eBay

Kanthal 32 AWG R wire: Kanthal A-1 32 awg resistance heating wire 200 ft, | eBay

Braided silica rope wick: McMaster-Carr

Nextel braided ceramic wick: Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

Hope that's able to tide you over til the next restock!

Edit: If it's not okay to link to other products in a retailer page, feel free to delete my post. I just don't like the idea of people out there not being able to use their Penelopes. :D

Last edited:

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
Make sure you know what resistance you want for the wire.

If you want a higher resistance coil you would want to buy higher resistance wire, a higher AWG number.

I came to the conclusion that the "right" amount of wire for a coil is somewhere between 1.3 and 1.9 inches in order to sit in the Penelope cup. So if you look at the resistance per foot of wire, the only wires that would have enough resistance to come in around 3ohms at that length are between 34 and 36 AWG.

That size is what works for me. Some people might shove more or less coil onto the wick.

AppendixG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
USA
The Nextel is way different from Imeo's wick, it's more like using stainless steel mesh. I don't recommend it if you're new to using Ody/Penelope type rebuildables. I'd stick with the silica that I linked or the stuff that rocky111 linked to below. I've tested a lot of different wicking materials, but the stuff they sell on CoV is definitely the best. You also do need to heat up the Nextel before using it, til it glows red, to burn off the machining oils.

In a pinch, though, you can really use just about any porous fabric as a wick. Just make sure it's safe to inhale and doesn't require special procedures. I've heard of people using t-shirt material, cotton yarn, bamboo yarn, etc. If you do decide to use cotton (which you can pick up at almost any craft store) just be sure of three things: 1) You get unbleached "natural" yarn, 2) You boil it before using it, just to be safe and, 3) You get the wick nice and wet before using it, cotton is flammable so you need to be extra careful that you don't fire the coil while it's dry.

Thanks alot Appendix :) I'm going to def buy the silver from that link, also is that Nextel braid as good as Imeo's wick? Didn't really want to pay shipping 3 or 4 more times..but it what can ya do?? Thanks!

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I did the same thing day before yesterday got me 200 feet of kanthal and pure silver and 50 feet of the nextel. On the nextel if you buy it you need to torch it before u use it to vape. Its very important to kill the chems on that nextel before vaping. Just torch it with a butane lighter for a bit till its red. just a heads up. i hope cov gets the orings for the penelope since I think thats going to be a wear and tear item.

Ty89m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2012
Bozeman, MT
I agree, the bottom tank O-ring gets squished pretty good if you tighten it all the way. I'd imagine you could find o-rings of similar size online or even locally without to much trouble.

I did the same thing day before yesterday got me 200 feet of kanthal and pure silver and 50 feet of the nextel. On the nextel if you buy it you need to torch it before u use it to vape. Its very important to kill the chems on that nextel before vaping. Just torch it with a butane lighter for a bit till its red. just a heads up. i hope cov gets the orings for the penelope since I think thats going to be a wear and tear item.

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
Hey man, I feel your pain!

Here's some secondary sources for wick and wire, when CoV is out of stock:

.999 Silver NR wire: Fine Silver Wire for Jewelry, Wire Wrapping, Earrings by Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

Nichrome 32 AWG R wire: Resistance heating wire Nichrome 32 awg 100 ft | eBay

Kanthal 32 AWG R wire: Kanthal A-1 32 awg resistance heating wire 200 ft, | eBay

Braided silica rope wick: McMaster-Carr

Nextel braided ceramic wick: Nextel Braided Ceramic Very High Temperature Sleeving

Hope that's able to tide you over til the next restock!

Edit: If it's not okay to link to other products in a retailer page, feel free to delete my post. I just don't like the idea of people out there not being able to use their Penelopes. :D

Amen brother!!!

Every Ody/Penelope owner needs to read this thread. (and anything else like it)
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html
It's full of good ideas about using alternative wicking solutions. Silica or Nextel are NOT the only viable solutions out there. Far from it! Do the reading and be free.

Here is a great video of how to make your own wires. I've seen a few others, but Scott nails it.
Review of the Odysseus repairable atomiser for electronic cigarettes by E-Cig-Reviews.com
Buy the wire cheap online and build your own. It's very simple to do.

This is how most of the GG users roll anyway. Learn this information, or learn to enjoy "notify" sandwiches.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
I have to say everything has been great with the Penelope up until its time to get all the materials needed to use the Penelope...So all materials are out for the Pen and see they are going to put some of the materials up on the site so I sign up for notification when stock is available...Shortly after I start recieving notifications that there is Wick now and some wire, I go to the site and repeatedly get 500 server errors just trying to add material to my cart....this goes on for 30+ minutes...Guess what?? Wick is out of stock now and still no NR wire.. Sorry but I really want to enjoy this purchase and I am now frustrated with whole thing!! I do however have a nice coil I was able to make with the ONE pre-made wire from Imeo....

:mad:

-Thanks for listening

Did you get a soapy taste when you started vaping? Mine fired fine except for the soapy taste. Soooo... Disassembled the pen, put the ceramic into milk and boiled two rounds (no gas stove to blue flame, etc). Reassembled as eat as possible with the premade wire, which I had now shortened by taking it apart, and it fired once or twice and then nothing. Now I wait for online orders to come with wires and wick.

They used to come with 3' of wire. Reviews showed that. They should have included THREE premade wires at least. Especially if the ceramic has to be boiled off.

MatrixTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Did you get a soapy taste when you started vaping? Mine fired fine except for the soapy taste. Soooo... Disassembled the pen, put the ceramic into milk and boiled two rounds (no gas stove to blue flame, etc). Reassembled as eat as possible with the premade wire, which I had now shortened by taking it apart, and it fired once or twice and then nothing. Now I wait for online orders to come with wires and wick.

They used to come with 3' of wire. Reviews showed that. They should have included THREE premade wires at least. Especially if the ceramic has to be boiled off.

Never had a problem with soapy taste, and building the coil hasn't been the problem..This thing is working great for me. However, the frustration of not having all the parts/materials available in order to use and maintian the Penelope has got me heated...I'm over it now and excepted the fact that I needed to pay shipping 3 more times to other business's for materials...About 30$ maybe a little more and now I will have enouph wire and wick to last me 2 lifetimes....

Still only have enouph wick that came with it..

Last edited:

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
Guys...

It is important to remember to wash anything you purchase vape wise.

Yes, listen to J. Wash all the SS parts with hot water and dish soap or you'll be vaping machining residue. The ceramic needs to be heated up on a stove top to get rid of that soapy taste. The video I linked from E-Cig-Reviews shows how to do it as well as making coils.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
+1 to the washing. All my GG stuff has actually been pretty clean when I got it compared to other items I've bought (I once got a SS drip tip from another vendor and the inside was black with residue from machining and took probably 10 minutes to fully clean), but even when it looks clean a good scrub is a good practice to follow :)

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Yes, listen to J. Wash all the SS parts with hot water and dish soap or you'll be vaping machining residue. The ceramic needs to be heated up on a stove top to get rid of that soapy taste. The video I linked from E-Cig-Reviews shows how to do it as well as making coils.

Wash in SOAP?! I boiled twice in milk. Some have stated it works. Can't test of course because my one premade is hosed. Ceramic has small corner cracked too. Smh

R53_Dave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2012
USA
Wash in SOAP?! I boiled twice in milk. Some have stated it works. Can't test of course because my one premade is hosed. Ceramic has small corner cracked too. Smh

Yes, the stainless parts get washed in dish soap. Being steel, they dont absorb anything, and the dish soap cuts the machining oils off them. Rinse well, and they are perfect. No more oily residue.

The ceramic only gets heated for a few seconds (10 or less) in a flame to fume off any residue. No need to do anything more to it.

Boiled in milk? Why milk? Wouldn't water do a better job? Seems milk would leave some kind of residue on the ceramic. Eh, whatever works I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread