Penelope Wick and NR wire... :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3RRY

Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
SoCal
For anyone needing Nichrome wire, here's an excellent seller.
Nichrome Wire
easy checkout with PayPal, great price + Free fast shipping on any NR wire
I received my wires within 3 days from ordering.
not affiliated with them in any way, just wanna pass the love

I picked up 34ga and 36ga.
36ga was perfect for setting it to 3 ohms :)

Last edited:

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Great idea. I will try with just the long wire... not broken. If I can find it in this pile. If that won't work could I double or triple (twist) some resistance wire for the side channels to cut down the resistance ?

If you didn't break the solder, then you *should* be able to have enough NR to run down the non-ceramic side UNDER the wick and make contact. If the solder is broken, then an NR would need to wrap with R before the channel. R wire down the side is a no go.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I've started using this nickel wire for the NR part. It works fine and it's cheaper than the silver.

I've been trying different things for the wick. The best so far has been 100% cotton yarn that I boiled to remove the sizing. I got five days out of that before the coil got gunked up enough for me to change it out.

yankeebobo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
Western MA
Amazon'd some .999 wire and received it today. Each coil wraps better than the previous one. Loving it right now.

I wonder if anybody is using stainless mesh somehow in the Oddyseus or Penelope?
I haven't tried but am likely going to try. I believe Imeo has a vid on YouTube on this very subject. Take some mesh no wider than the width of the ceramic and thinly wrap one section of the silica. You will need silica to wick up the juice. Do your burns, place the meshed section into the cup, drape the wick into channels. Assemble as usual. Important thing I would think is to make sure the mesh part stays inside the ceramic to not contact flow control assembly.

Stadanko

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 13, 2012
East Coast
I haven't tried but am likely going to try. I believe Imeo has a vid on YouTube on this very subject. Take some mesh no wider than the width of the ceramic and thinly wrap one section of the silica. You will need silica to wick up the juice. Do your burns, place the meshed section into the cup, drape the wick into channels. Assemble as usual. Important thing I would think is to make sure the mesh part stays inside the ceramic to not contact flow control assembly.

Thanks. Vivid description. I think I could try it with what you've described. I may try and track down the video. Thanks!

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Hi got a quick question I got my penelope yersterday made my coil with the double wick. metered at 1.7ohms but now its like 3ohms anyone know what i did wrong? I did use the ready wire.

Thank you

Sounds like you might have a loose connection. Most likely the negative wire not making good contact under the wick. I wrapped that wire 3 or 4 loops around the leg of the wick and haven't had any problems.

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
Hey all. Been reading a lot about preparing coils, etc for the Penelope (should have mine by Monday). I have ordered the wick material (decided on cotton which I will boil and drain properly, not sure if I will do all cotton in the ceramic or just cotton on top of the silica under the coil) and some .999 silver NR wire, which I might replace with something cheaper in the future. BUTTT I would really love for someone to give me a sample of some Kanthal A-1 resistance wire (Or I will gladly PayPal you some money, of course) in 32 or 34 AWG. I can not find any :( I would prefer 34 because I want a coil closer to 2.5 or 3 ohms. Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread