Status
Not open for further replies.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I also posted this at RTV:

Ok... so I will sadly admit this outloud that until yesterday I was unaware that PG was in CIGARETTES! Yes... tobacco cigarettes. So I started doing a little investigating and I found this Tobacco Documents | Profiles | Additives | Propylene Glycol

What I find particularly interesting is this:

"Evidence had been collected by Philip Morris in the 1950s that propylene glycol when added to the filler gives a milder smoke. In 1958 Philip Morris’ judges found cigarettes having propylene glycol and TEG to be milder as compared with those using glycerine."

I think there is an argument to be made here that studies of cigarettes, while they are skewed in looking at pg because of all the other additives, PG has been used as an inhalant before and there is nothing "new" about pg being smoked. TA DA! What does everyone else think? Anyone know of any studies?

lee929

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Wow..great find! Interesting indeed..

I also posted this at RTV:

Ok... so I will sadly admit this outloud that until yesterday I was unaware that PG was in CIGARETTES! Yes... tobacco cigarettes. So I started doing a little investigating and I found this Tobacco Documents | Profiles | Additives | Propylene Glycol

What I find particularly interesting is this:

"Evidence had been collected by Philip Morris in the 1950s that propylene glycol when added to the filler gives a milder smoke. In 1958 Philip Morris’ judges found cigarettes having propylene glycol and TEG to be milder as compared with those using glycerine."

I think there is an argument to be made here that studies of cigarettes, while they are skewed in looking at pg because of all the other additives, PG has been used as an inhalant before and there is nothing "new" about pg being smoked. TA DA! What does everyone else think? Anyone know of any studies?

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Great find Lacey! Heres another confirmation about Liggett actually listing their ingredients.

Liggett, which broke with the industry by signing the first settlements ever with states and private attorneys suing it, supports the Massachusetts effort as well. "Liggett believes that its adult consumers have a right to full disclosure," Liggett head Bennett S. LeBow said in a statement. Along with blended tobacco and water, the 26-item L&M list includes high fructose corn syrup, sugar, natural and artificial licorice flavor, menthol, artificial milk chocolate and natural chocolate flavor, valerian root extract, molasses and vanilla extracts, and cedarwood oil. Less familiar additives include glycerol, propylene glycol, isovaleric acid, hexanoic acid and 3-methylpentanoic acid.

vape4life

Mar 6, 2009
Hrm... well it seems to me that the PG, based on that quote, was added to the filters, and therefore used mostly absorb some of the harsh elements of the smoke and not directly vaporized and inhaled. Of course once an analog runs short and close to the filter, there would be some vaporization of the PG in the filter. But I don't think its anywhere comparable to an almost pure PG liquid being vaporized and inhaled.

Not that I am suggesting vaping PG is necessarily bad. Just that I don't think this is equivalent.

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Just remember though that PG in tobacco never exceeds much more than 5% of the tobacco make up.

We are vaping between 60-80% PG in liquids which is a completely different concentration, although from older scientific studies conducted, still doesn't warrant too much for us to worry about as yet.

EDIT: beaten to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread