Status
Not open for further replies.

Cushuito

Feb 25, 2012
United States
TL;DR Available at the bottom! (feel free to skip my incessant rambles!) :vapor:

So I know that most liquids are a combo of PG/VG ... and I know PEG Is a bit less viscous (thick/sticky - not to belittle anyone here by explaining, but it isn't a common word to most people and I want any/everyone to be able to answer without google...) than the others (VG Being the most), but I am still a bit unsure of the 3's usefulness/desire for the various reasons.

(please correct anything I say that is wrong! My version of certain is more speculative than hard fact!)
I know that PG for some has a sort of allergic reaction (which i assume can be the same for VG and PEG) which is why there are VG only and PEG only liquids out there.
I also know that VG takes longer to absorb into the polyfill due to it's viscous nature.I am fairly certain that a higher VG level causes thicker/more visible clouds of vapor.
And I have been reading that VG tastes better for flavoring...

Are these things true?
Are they just opinions?
I am well aware that not everything you read on the internet is true, thus not everything you read on these forums is true (but thankfully, there's a handful of very knowledgeable vets here to correct these fallacies).

I personally am mostly concerned with their use for cartomizers.
I use a KGo 1100 mAh with ego 1.5ohm dual coils. I noticed when I was using a PG free that I had very little Throat Hit... But I really don't know if that was my mind playing tricks or simply a dying battery.

TL;DR - start here
PG vs VG vs PEG
Are any of them better for your body?
What are the benefits of using each one?
What are the cons of each using any of them?
Do any simply work better for a certain setup?
Will one be better with certain nicotine levels?
Is one worth more for the money you spend?

Facts/Opinions/Questions of your own on 3...

Last edited:

steliosak

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
Kapandriti , Hellas
When I started out I vaped 80PG/20VG ready made e-liquid.

Then I started making my own .

I have experimented with various combinations from pure PG to pure VG.

I find that PG gives me a better taste (especially for tobacco flavours) but I prefer VG for fruit flavours.

Each has its pros and cons .

I settled on the current ratio of 50/50 as good compromise between TH,vapour,taste.

I hope this helps.

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
I vape mostly VG, as PG makes me cough. Just can't take the throat hit - probably did damage during 40+ years of smoking. I add 5-10% distilled water to make it thin enough to work properly in the no batting cartomisers I use.

I have started to do some DYI, and find I need more flavor than most - VG does seem to mute flavors a bit more.

Cushuito

Feb 25, 2012
United States
I vape mostly VG, as PG makes me cough. Just can't take the throat hit - probably did damage during 40+ years of smoking. I add 5-10% distilled water to make it thin enough to work properly in the no batting cartomisers I use.

I have started to do some DYI, and find I need more flavor than most - VG does seem to mute flavors a bit more.

when you say that it mutes flavors have you tested out how much it does generally?
I.E. - have you used a 100%PG of a flavor (or for your input whatever the highest % you have used - please specify if you can), and later tried it with a much higher VG% (or hopefully the polar opposite @ 100%)

Is it a strongly noticeable difference?

Also, does the distilled water mute the flavor?

SuperLuckyLady

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Austin, TX
The problem is, I really can't vape much PG, so can't do comparisons. I can only compare the amount of flavoring I use with the amount others use. This may also be affected by steeping time, as the viscosity of the VG means the flavorings will take longer to mix properly. I am rather impatient!

I can't taste any difference between 100% VG and that with 5-10% water - that comparison I can do!

when you say that it mutes flavors have you tested out how much it does generally?
I.E. - have you used a 100%PG of a flavor (or for your input whatever the highest % you have used - please specify if you can), and later tried it with a much higher VG% (or hopefully the polar opposite @ 100%)

Is it a strongly noticeable difference?

Also, does the distilled water mute the flavor?

sh_

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
USA
I also used PG and VG mix as well as pure PG and VG DIY juices.

For me I recently made a few 100% PG juices and they have a better and stronger taste and a lot less vapor, although I also noticed that you can find a lot more water in the drip tip as you vape.

Using PG/VG (50/50) you find less water in the drip tip as you vape and the juice lasts twice as much for me. I dont have any scientific explanation for that, but for me the taste was exactly the same at this point and just for having a longer duration of the same juice shows me that I will keep going with VG/PG mix at 50%.

I hope that helps.

CaramelCathy

Nov 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
I noticed that too! Some of the vendors I've patronized, their juices have quite a bit of PG, and it seems they get used up very quickly. Now, those juices where I've specifically ordered straight VG, they last me longer. I've noticed (as of late) that I can't handle too much PG any more. It makes my throat sore, but it is nice for thinning the juice down. So, in my DIY mixes, I tried adding some purified water, and I've had to throw some batches away because I added too much. But I'm starting to get it right now.

The batch I'm vaping right now is approx. 75% VG and the other 25% PG from the flavors and the nic base. I find the longer I vape, the less I desire throat hit, or even high nic content. I want the flavor and vapor plumes if that makes sense. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread