Pg & vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
LOL, what a coincidence that you just brought up compounding pharmacies here, and I just did too, but in a slightly different context, here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/14436-nicotine-sale.html#post220285

Omigod, and posted at the exact same time!

Lorraine, PG is not as sweet as glycerine. I don't detect soapy either, but who knows how our tastes might differ.

Now I can't decide if it's soapy or sacharrin-ey.....just totally overwhelms any amount of menthol I add (crystals) I put around 8-10 crystals in around 50ml of liquid and it still just tastes like the VG....I picked up PG tonight so we'll see how that works out.

ambersview

Apr 8, 2009
orlando, fl
Glycerine can also be extracted from animal fat. I use only 100% vegetable glycerine, seems safer to me. I believe the Now brand is made from coconuts but I know it is 100% vegetable based. It is rated for topical and internal use. Most of the other glycerines I have seen that do not state 100% vegetable based say only for topical (external) use. Like the Walmart/Walgreens stuff. I bet it has animal fat in it. I am not vaping that sheot.

where do you get your vg, then? Thanks in advance.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Jim, it sounds like you are thinking that there is some diference between VG and glycerine. But there isn't, really. Vegetable glycerine may have a different route to the shelf than a glycerine that doesn't carry the "vegetable" in its name, but by the time it's bottled and sold, it's the same thing.

Glycerine is also sometimes called glycerol, and sometimes even spelled glycerin, but all four terms are 100% interchangeable for our purposes, so long as the grade remains constant (USP grade here in the US, or BP grade in the UK for the best assurance of purity).

I've tried a few different brands (USP) and there is a distinct difference between them even though they are over 99% pure. I found the VG to be less 'sticky' than the normal animal based Glycerin. It also seems to vape cleaner.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Nuck, and I've seen the claim that VG is more sticky than G. :)

Yes, vegetable glycerin is derived from vegetable fats, and glycerin/glycerol without the "vegetable" in it's name may be derived from animal fats. That's why I acknowledged that they may have a different route to the sales shelf in my post. But the bottom line is this: The resulting chemical compound, no matter what it is called, is C3H5(OH)3.

Could it be that the 1% or up to 5% impurity makes enough of a difference for people to detect a difference between brands? I don't know. But I do know that if the chemical compund is the same, what you got is the same. So unless someone is a vegan, or has other similar reasons to avoid anything made from animal fat, there is no difference, for ecig purposes, between vegetable glycerin, glycerin, glycerine, or glycerol.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran

Yes, vegetable glycerin is derived from vegetable fats, and glycerin/glycerol without the "vegetable" in it's name may be derived from animal fats. That's why I acknowledged that they may have a different route to the sales shelf in my post. But the bottom line is this: The resulting chemical compound, no matter what it is called, is C3H5(OH)3.

Could it be that the 1% or up to 5% impurity makes enough of a difference for people to detect a difference between brands? I don't know. But I do know that if the chemical compund is the same, what you got is the same. So unless someone is a vegan, or has other similar reasons to avoid anything made from animal fat, there is no difference, for ecig purposes, between vegetable glycerin, glycerin, glycerine, or glycerol.

It's the impurities that is the important matter - it needs to be USP or BP or 'food-grade' to avoid any impurities left over from it's manufacture (whatever the source); because these are easier to remove or less harmful taking the vegetable route, food grade G is usually VG. In contrast, I think PG is made from petrochemicals (natural gas); also needs to be food grade for use in juice.

(Food grade VG may not be 100% glycerine but the remainder is almost entirely water.)

Last edited:

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada

I understand that the glycerin is the same. The remaining components definitely make a difference though. It is dramatic enough that if you poured the 2 types into identical containers, I'd bet you cash that I could tell the difference every time after feeling them. There was a distinct difference in how I felt after vaping between the two although that could just as easily be attributed to my own body adjusting to the glycerin.

Edit: I'm actually going to test myself tonight and have my wife set it up. I'll post the honest results just for fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread