Pg & vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
There must be more people besides me that has this question.

I get my Glycerin from CVS in the Cosmetic Skin Care Section. (Pure - USP)

What about PG & VG. What are there other uses? What names do they go by? What sections of what stores do we look? Get the Idea? Small bottles are what I would like. I don't need a tanker truck backed up to my door. Any help please.

Cheers;
jd

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I have something similar to yours....Humco brand from Walmart...in the bandaid section.

I've also used Wilton's from Michael's craft store....that's a bit thinner than the Humco.

The only PG I have ever used was the gallon size from a tractor supply store....in the cow section....lol. It was around $20.

Lu

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I have something similar to yours....Humco brand from Walmart...in the bandaid section.

I've also used Wilton's from Michael's craft store....that's a bit thinner than the Humco.

The only PG I have ever used was the gallon size from a tractor supply store....in the cow section....lol. It was around $20.

Lu

What is the Wiltons? Glycerine? PG? VG?

As far as the PG, I really don't need a gallon, but if that's all I can get, I may try it.

dirt2suck

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Ephrata PA USA
I was wondering if buying/using PG that is dyed red for cows is ok?
A harddware store in my area is the only place that sells PG locally.
The guy said it is USP but I am worried about the red dye.
He said they put it in so not to get confused with mineral oil.

I will still be looking for some before I buy online

Any thoughts?

Dirt

Last edited:

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
What is the Wiltons? Glycerine? PG? VG?

As far as the PG, I really don't need a gallon, but if that's all I can get, I may try it.

Wiltons is food grade glycerine. As far as the PG, others may have ordered some through a local pharmacy but if you are looking for something readily available, that is the only source I know. They don't seem to sell it on the shelves like the glycerine.

Lu

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I was wondering if buying/using PG that is dyed red for cows is ok?
A harddware store in my area is the only place that sells PG locally.
The guy said it is USP but I am worried about the red dye.
He said they put it in so not to get confused with mineral oil.

I will still be looking for some before I buy online

Any thoughts?

Dirt

Mine wasn't red...but it was USP and it was clear. Hmmm....don't know about vaping red dye. Might be safer to get it elsewhere.

Lu

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Jim, it sounds like you are thinking that there is some diference between VG and glycerine. But there isn't, really. Vegetable glycerine may have a different route to the shelf than a glycerine that doesn't carry the "vegetable" in its name, but by the time it's bottled and sold, it's the same thing.

Glycerine is also sometimes called glycerol, and sometimes even spelled glycerin, but all four terms are 100% interchangeable for our purposes, so long as the grade remains constant (USP grade here in the US, or BP grade in the UK for the best assurance of purity).

Last edited:

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Wiltons is food grade glycerine. As far as the PG, others may have ordered some through a local pharmacy but if you are looking for something readily available, that is the only source I know. They don't seem to sell it on the shelves like the glycerine.

Lu

Yep, ask your pharmacist, I stopped at the pharmacy yesterday and the pharmacist GAVE me menthol crystals to try and ordered PG for me, 12.99 per 16 oz. I think the VG I'm using is what's making everything taste soapy to me.

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Jim, it sounds like you are thinking that there is some diference between VG and glycerine. But there isn't, really. Vegetable glycerine may have a different route to the shelf than a glycerine that doesn't carry the "vegetable" in its name, but by the time it's bottled and sold, it's the same thing.

Glycerine is also sometimes called glycerol, and sometimes even spelled glycerin, but all four terms are 100% interchangeable for our purposes, so long as the grade remains constant (USP grade here in the US, or BP grade in the UK for the best assurance of purity).

I'm hoping the PG isn't as sweet/soapy tasting....

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009

VG = Vegetable Glycerin. Good Lord <slapping self> That's something that was in my face, and just didn't click. I'm getting VG from the corner CVS.

OK - So it's the PG that's a bit vague. Any brand names that it goes by?

I'm cutting my medium strength juice 50 / 50 with VG now. I bought some heavy juice, to cut. The VG is making the juice a bit thick, and if I use more in the heavy juice, I'm wondering if it will get *too* thick. I never used the PG before, and don't know if it's any thinner.

If the PG is thinner, I was thinking x%-juice + x%VG + x%PG.

hobson

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Houston
Hi Jim,

I bought some glycerin at CVS in the skin care section but then notice the label said "For External Use" so I abandoned that and bought the NOW brand at Whole Foods on Woodway.

After calling mulitple pharmacies in the area I was finally told to call a "Compounding Pharmacy". Who knew?

I bought some this morning at Greenpark Compounding Pharmacy on Bellaire. The brand name is Paddock Laboratories.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hi Jim,

I bought some glycerin at CVS in the skin care section but then notice the label said "For External Use" so I abandoned that and bought the NOW brand at Whole Foods on Woodway.

After calling mulitple pharmacies in the area I was finally told to call a "Compounding Pharmacy". Who knew?

I bought some this morning at Greenpark Compounding Pharmacy on Bellaire. The brand name is Paddock Laboratories.

LOL, what a coincidence that you just brought up compounding pharmacies here, and I just did too, but in a slightly different context, here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/14436-nicotine-sale.html#post220285

Omigod, and posted at the exact same time!

Lorraine, PG is not as sweet as glycerine. I don't detect soapy either, but who knows how our tastes might differ.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
I quess you just answered my "who knew" question. LOL!

Hey hobson!
I didn't see your name in the Texas Group. PM Lika and ask him about joining Tejas Vapin. We have over 60 people in Texas. Lika is the only one who can add new mwmbers.

Hope to see ya there.
Cheers;
jd

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
VG = Vegetable Glycerin. Good Lord <slapping self> That's something that was in my face, and just didn't click. I'm getting VG from the corner CVS.

OK - So it's the PG that's a bit vague. Any brand names that it goes by?

I'm cutting my medium strength juice 50 / 50 with VG now. I bought some heavy juice, to cut. The VG is making the juice a bit thick, and if I use more in the heavy juice, I'm wondering if it will get *too* thick. I never used the PG before, and don't know if it's any thinner.

If the PG is thinner, I was thinking x%-juice + x%VG + x%PG.

VG is thicker than PG....so if you cut juice with 50% VG, you may find it too thick to wick. Some people add a couple of drops of distilled water to thin it out. Some add vodka (yes, true). And some elect to do what you mentioned in your last line....so much percent of each VG and PG to thin it out more than using just VG.

There's actually a lot of info on this in the rest of the DIY liquid forum, if you are interested.

Lu

Sumratio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh
Glycerine can also be extracted from animal fat. I use only 100% vegetable glycerine, seems safer to me. I believe the Now brand is made from coconuts but I know it is 100% vegetable based. It is rated for topical and internal use. Most of the other glycerines I have seen that do not state 100% vegetable based say only for topical (external) use. Like the Walmart/Walgreens stuff. I bet it has animal fat in it. I am not vaping that sheot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread