Status
Not open for further replies.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
looking at the provari now same battery? wow i use a ICR18350 in my screwdriver ALWAYS paying attention to polarity and overcharging. wtf actually happened to this mod?

Things happen, AW batteries are great. No need to worry about buying AW's or getting a Provari. I had a thermal runaway myself w/AW 18650 2600 - it was a short, the battery heated up quite a bit before I got it out and threw it. Just make sure whatever tube mod you get, it has vent holes. If the maker says they are not necessary, run the other way.

Example - Precise P18 - Alot of people don't like the look of vent holes, I'd rather have them then have it blow and put my eyes out or worse. May never happen, but they said the titanic wouldn't sink either.

dspin-albums-mod-pics-picture28524-031.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
vaping is not ment to be more dangerous than smoking

Vaping isn't, but batteries can be dangerous. The culprit w/me was a short - atty or switch, no one was sure - the AW battery held on while the delrip tip melted into the atty and the mod was beginning to burn. Any other batt may have gone boom before the AW - just saying. Everything in this world can be dangerous.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Liar Liar Pants On Fire > Thermal Runaway LifePO4 Ducktape

Here is a lifepo4 ebike battery that wasn't properly protected and caught fire.

Ummm, you should have said "ebike battery PACK" -- very important distinction.

People that use two separate batteries are playing with fire. Even with protection it still possible for fires and explosion if the batteries are used @ two separate states of charge.

That is why it's important, when stacking batteries, to have protection circuitry at the cell level and not just the device.

As always, being an educated user is your best safeguard.

Last edited:

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
After reading all this, I might think twice about ever buying a mod, although I wonder how significant these risks are. There are risks in pretty much everything, I'm not sure how significant they are with these batteries but I'm guessing that it's probably higher with mods than off the shelf gear at least. I haven't read anywhere near enough though to make me want to go to some of the extremes here with my ego-t at least :)

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
but I'm guessing that it's probably higher with mods than off the shelf gear at least.

Cell phones go up all the time. But that does not seem to be "news".

Batteries are DANGEROUS period. Always take precautions.

I had an LG phone many years ago. The batteries were recalled. Apparently their battery supplier had sourced a batch from a different manufacturer for a while and some of the protection circuits had failed. In one of the best marketing spins ever, the problem was described as "rapid disassembly" :D

KyanaBelle

May 27, 2011
Louisville, KY
1. Many of them are low quality and have a low C rating, meaning they cannot be safely used for atomizers as the current draw is over their limit. There are two groups of Li-FePo4 cells: those with a C rating of 1 (or less), and those with a rating of 4 and up. The C=1 cells will be over-driven by an atty: a Li-FePo4 14500 battery with a capacity of 600mAh and a C rating of 1 can supply 0.6 amps to an atty. This is too low and it will be over-driven. A cell of 600mAh with a C rating of 4 can supply 4 x 0.6 A = 2.4 amps, which is fine.
Hi rolygate, just found your post in the thread...
Is the "C" rating shorthand for something? How would I find the "C" rating of a battery? The only batteries I intended to use were 3V, 750mah for a 3.7 volt mod running no higher than a 2.4 amp atty. The batteries I intended to buy supply a lot of info, but no "C" rating listed for them.

Quick1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2010
USA
:blink: D@mn! Just when I had finally settled on an ego-type mod! *sigh*

Tenergy actually advertizes that it's Li-Ion RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery will never explode or catch fire (right on the website, and they do say "never") :confused:

That's probably true. "explode" is a pretty vague term.
But first, you used Li-Ion and LiFePO4 referring to the same battery? Those are different chemistries. I assume you're talking about the LiFePO4. Safer chemistries CAN fail and will vent. They can vent very hot gas and liquid. It's just that they will vent much slower, without producing their own flames, and they won't go into thermal runaway (where the failure/reaction feeds itself ... kind of like a road flare). So yes. they won't explode or produce flames if they fail. They will vent gas and liquid that can cause a sealed battery tube to explode and they can vent stuff hot enough to possibly set other things on fire or at least give you a nasty burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread