The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Pictures of serious battery failure - IMR 18650

Discussion in 'New Members Information' started by oldsoldier, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. dspin

dspin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2010
    USA

Things happen, AW batteries are great. No need to worry about buying AW's or getting a Provari. I had a thermal runaway myself w/AW 18650 2600 - it was a short, the battery heated up quite a bit before I got it out and threw it. Just make sure whatever tube mod you get, it has vent holes. If the maker says they are not necessary, run the other way.

Example - Precise P18 - Alot of people don't like the look of vent holes, I'd rather have them then have it blow and put my eyes out or worse. May never happen, but they said the titanic wouldn't sink either.

[​IMG]

2. tinman0770

tinman0770 Full Member

Apr 21, 2011
    sandiego ca
    vaping is not ment to be more dangerous than smoking

3. dspin

Sep 2, 2010
    USA

Vaping isn't, but batteries can be dangerous. The culprit w/me was a short - atty or switch, no one was sure - the AW battery held on while the delrip tip melted into the atty and the mod was beginning to burn. Any other batt may have gone boom before the AW - just saying. Everything in this world can be dangerous.

4. Andyhrn

Andyhrn Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    TX
    Is there some sort of "cut off" protection in removable batteries? May be the power switch has been activated for a long time by accident?

5. dspin

Sep 2, 2010
    USA
  6. emus

emus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm surprised you can buy mods w/o a fuse.

7. Quick1

Quick1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    Ummm, you should have said "ebike battery PACK" -- very important distinction.

That is why it's important, when stacking batteries, to have protection circuitry at the cell level and not just the device.

As always, being an educated user is your best safeguard.

8. Nicko

Nicko Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 1, 2010
    China
    I'm happy she wasn't hurt. How frighteneing. Imagine if that happened to a hearing-aid battery or an adult toy battery. I shudder.

9. jinwei89

jinwei89 Full Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Singapore
    Thats scary. It just exploded like that. What if we are vaping, wonder what kind of face will we have. Haha...

10. kingcobra

kingcobra Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2011
    Canada
    After reading all this, I might think twice about ever buying a mod, although I wonder how significant these risks are. There are risks in pretty much everything, I'm not sure how significant they are with these batteries but I'm guessing that it's probably higher with mods than off the shelf gear at least. I haven't read anywhere near enough though to make me want to go to some of the extremes here with my ego-t at least :)

11. Debian Dog

Debian Dog Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2011
    VA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cell phones go up all the time. But that does not seem to be "news".

Batteries are DANGEROUS period. Always take precautions.

12. wojwoj9

wojwoj9 Full Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Działdowo Polska
  13. Quick1

Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    I had an LG phone many years ago. The batteries were recalled. Apparently their battery supplier had sourced a batch from a different manufacturer for a while and some of the protection circuits had failed. In one of the best marketing spins ever, the problem was described as "rapid disassembly" :D

14. Andyhrn

Andyhrn Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2011
    TX
    There were a few reports about e-cig batteries doing the same. I have had this experience too with the new short 510 battery while charging.
    Smells like melted plastic and was very hot to touch just after couple minutes of charging.

15. Treefrog

Treefrog Full Member

May 7, 2011
    Altus, Oklahoma
    I'm so glad I came across this forum. I have so much reading to do and there is so much info to take in.

16. emus

emus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 9, 2009
    I almost forgot about the burning Sony laptop batt recalls.

17. BoltonBA

BoltonBA Full Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Cincinnati
    Good information here. Thanks for all the opinions!

18. KyanaBelle

KyanaBelle Senior Member

May 27, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    :blink: D@mn! Just when I had finally settled on an ego-type mod! *sigh*

Tenergy actually advertizes that it's Li-Ion RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh LiFePO4 Rechargeable Battery will never explode or catch fire (right on the website, and they do say "never") :confused:

19. KyanaBelle

KyanaBelle Senior Member

May 27, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    Hi rolygate, just found your post in the thread...
    Is the "C" rating shorthand for something? How would I find the "C" rating of a battery? The only batteries I intended to use were 3V, 750mah for a 3.7 volt mod running no higher than a 2.4 amp atty. The batteries I intended to buy supply a lot of info, but no "C" rating listed for them.

20. Quick1

Feb 11, 2010
    USA
    That's probably true. "explode" is a pretty vague term.
    But first, you used Li-Ion and LiFePO4 referring to the same battery? Those are different chemistries. I assume you're talking about the LiFePO4. Safer chemistries CAN fail and will vent. They can vent very hot gas and liquid. It's just that they will vent much slower, without producing their own flames, and they won't go into thermal runaway (where the failure/reaction feeds itself ... kind of like a road flare). So yes. they won't explode or produce flames if they fail. They will vent gas and liquid that can cause a sealed battery tube to explode and they can vent stuff hot enough to possibly set other things on fire or at least give you a nasty burn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.