PIF friends-Heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyLulu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Florida
There is a thread on the general discussion board re credit card fraud. If you are like me I don't venture out of the PIF forum very much. I found 3 fraudulent charges on my debit card this morning while checking my bank acct! The only online shopping I do is mainly for e-cigs and ebay (paypal), that's it. There is a pretty heated debate about where the breach is occuring etc which I don't care to get involved in. Just wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye on your credit cards/debit card accts. there seems to be alot of this happening in our e-cig community right now!
Lulu

LuckyLulu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Florida
bug,
The fraudulent charges were not from ecig companies but it looks like our cc/debit #'s were somehow stolen? possibly from using one one of the ecig sites? One of the charges on my debit card was for $25 from "Disney movie club". The customer service rep there told me what the thieves generally do is do a "test" purchase (or several) to see if it will go through, then they wipe you out!

USMC.CAR

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
Being a bit of a computer geek, I have a few tips to help prevent this:

-Anti-Virus
This one should go without saying. Make sure you have a decent anti-virus and make sure your virus definitions are up to date. Most Anti-Virus programs do this automatically, but set up automatic scans during nighttime, or whenever you don't use your computer, as it can slow it down.

-Delete your cache/history at least once every couple days
This is very simple, it helps to protect you from viruses accessing your personal information (credit card numbers/bank account numbers) if your anti-virus is compromised. It can also significantly increase your browsing speed.
In Internet Explorer->Delete Browsing History->(You should check all of the items to be deleted, but some are not entirely necessary, the biggest one is temporary internet files.)->Press delete.

-Router security
Make sure if you have a wireless router it has some sort of password protection. (WEP, WPA) I have seen cases of hackers being able to access your network (and your computer) and install a key-logger, which will save what you type for them to retrieve later. They can get your credit card numbers, your online banking info, etc.

-Phishing
When you go to any website, especially if you googled it or some other search engine, take half a second to glance at the URL in your browser to make sure it is correct. A common phishing technique is to copy a webpage and give it the same keywords and a near match to the URL as the original. Let's say it's your Bank Of America Online banking. The page looks just like the real thing, but the URL will be slightly different and when you enter your log-on info, it is sent to the malicious programmer, who then can access your banking info, etc., etc.

These are just a few of the things you can do to stop the most common of hackers, malicious code, and thieves.
If you see a charge on a credit/debit card that you don't remember making, contact your bank ASAP. Most banks can tell you exactly where it was charged, for what and when.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Last edited:

Lilacs212too

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
Williamsburg, VA
Thanks for the heads up, Lulu! I had seen the thread, and have been watching my account all the time.. I only order from three companies, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they aren't one of them. I live in Virginia, but my bank is in CT (their bank is so great, I didn't want to change when I moved) and that would create such headaches for me if I had to go to the bank to figure things out.

Awesome of you to pass this info along! :)

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
OK, now I'm scared; when I first learned computers we had punch cards..:laugh: -- there are so many skells looking for an easy buck on us unsuspecting nice people, life sucks sometimes.

I'm going to have to do a lot more computer upkeep it looks like and get a card for online purchases; maybe limit the vendors I buy from. This should be a topic at Vapefest for sure.

Thanks for the heads-up, and sorry for the crap you got in, Lulu

USMC.CAR

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
This is somewhat unrelated, as it has nothing to do with suppliers or e-cigs, but my debit card was double charged two different occasions at an on base aafes PX. One of my purchases that was double tapped was just over $90! I called my bank and they were already aware, apparently this happened to a lot of people on that day because there was some kind of error in the aafes system.

GtrSoloist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
USA
New charge on my debit card showed up this morning, apparantly someone bought MY credit report with MY debit card. Looks like now I'm dealing with possible identity theft and have to put a fraud alert on my credit. What a PIA! I'm so ......!

Yow, I'm sorry.

Someone spent $84.27 at an auto part store in Ohio this morning.. Funny, I'm in FL..

Oh well, only virtual credit cards for buying ecig stuff now

I'm sorry this is happening to you guys.

You know maybe we should get together a list of which suppliers are using what merchant companies.
There might be a pattern there.

I think that is a fantastic idea. It's time to start naming names and try to figure out where the fraud is taking place. It would be nice to know which supplier or merchant's are behind this.

GtrSoloist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
USA
The following programs are all free, and I personally use them all. I recommend these to everyone after I clean their computers of nasty Trojans and viruses (the kind of things that log passwords, and personal / credit card info.)

For the record, I have more computer certifications then you can shake a stick at.... unless you have a really, really big stick.

Avast Anti-virus: This is by far the best free anti-virus tool available to date. It's simple, actually speaks to you, and does a fantastic job of blocking viruses before they infect your computer. It is not a resource hog like many other anti-virus programs. *cough* AVG *cough*

* Avast needs to be registered once a year. It is easy and free.

** If you are using AVG... don't. More than half of the infected PC's I deal with have AVG actively running. Use this tool to remove it completely from your system before installing Avast: AVG Remover 32bit (XP/Vista). AVG Remover 64bit (Vista/Win7)

Malawarebytes Anti-malware: A very simple and excellent tool for cleaning Trojans and spy-ware from your system. Just download, install, update and scan.

Spybot Search and Destroy: Similar to Malwarebytes, this program has many other features such as inoculating your computer from known bad websites and a resident feature (always running) called TeaTimer to give you constant protection so you don't get infected in the first place.

* You should manually update Spybot S&D at least once a week.

HijackThis: This is an excellent tool to identify what exactly is running on your computer, and a great way to find out what specific Trojan/virus you are infected with.

* If you are not experienced with computers, do not make any drastic changes with this tool. Post the log file online to have an expert look at it first; if there is a particularly nasty virus that the above programs could not remove.

If you have any problems or questions (I must be mad) feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread