PIF Mod Post Deletions

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Just got back from lunch and noticed all of the moderator deleted posts. I must have missed something big, :?:. That said, why is there so much moderating going on in PIF lately? I think maintaining freedom of speech is important. My thought is that it is better to have less moderator involved editing and more community understanding. As long as there aren't personal attacks going on, isn't it better to work it out and learn from our mistakes? Sorry, not looking to hijack the forum or go off topic. Just my :2c:.

the_larch

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Personally I am fine with deletions as long as the deleter posts the reason why! Otherwise how will we all know?

As for the rise in moderation: It could be due to the rise in moderators. When I was a mod on a different forum you would often see the newly minted mods were the most active. That might not be the case here though. Just tossing it out there...

the_larch

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
Massachusetts
Just doing our job.If people post things that need to be deleted then thats what we do.The rules of ECF and PIF are clearly posted.read them,and it will explain everything you need to know.

I get that. However, it helps when you put a reason. For instance: In the PIF thread you deleted a post and gave the reason as 'deleted' (post directly after #9200) then deleted the following post and gave the reason as 'quoted a deleted post'. It helps the community to know why things are being deleted (especially if they, like myself, did not see the offending post before it was gone) so that A) They can prevent the same mistakes from happening again and B) it doesn't look like unfair moderation.

Again, this is just my opinion but I wouldn't be surprised if others agreed with me. Even a simple "Reason: Broke the rules" is better than nothing in my eyes.

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
lol you know, we are trying to fix some problems here in PIF.
we are all getting lots of PM's, and requests for more Mod action. lack of it has been the biggest issue in the past.

In general as long as there are folks pushing the limits and breaking the rules there will be mod action.
If this group could get to the point where the mods didnt need to do anything...All of us mods would love it!

Larch see what your saying, isnt always possible...and a lot of the time deletions are a combo of chatting, simiflame, could get worst be better if it was just gone before things get worst.
But the suggestion is noted...and we work on that one.

p.s freedom of speech doesnt apply in a private forum....just saying. Ecf rules do mention that.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Just doing our job.If people post things that need to be deleted then thats what we do.The rules of ECF and PIF are clearly posted.read them,and it will explain everything you need to know.

I get that too but there has to be some personal judgment used. I'm going to assume that we're all adults and most of us have an expectation of freedom of speech in our daily lives. I understand why personal attacks get deleted. Beyond that, some things are better left alone for us all to learn from, IMPO.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
p.s freedom of speech doesnt apply in a private forum....just saying. Ecf rules do mention that.

Wow, that's just about the worst response I've ever seen. Nothing personal but I cannot believe that was actually posted. I understand that the legal view of it doesn't apply in a private forum and I wasn't saying that it did. That said, it is still something that we can and should consider when making proper personal judgment calls. This isn't China or North Korea (to name a few) afterall.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
Wow, that's just about the worst response I've ever seen. Nothing personal but I cannot believe that was actually posted. I understand that the legal view of it doesn't apply in a private forum and I wasn't saying that it did. That said, it is still something that we can and should consider when making proper personal judgment calls. This isn't China or North Korea (to name a few) afterall.

It's a factual response. It's even written in the ECF rules.

The moderators do not have to explain their actions when they need to delete a post. It could be a private matter, and not something that needs to be broadcast to the rest of the members. It could be deleting spam. Either way, rest assured that they're doing their jobs, and from what I have seen, they are doing it quite well.

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
It's a factual response. It's even written in the ECF rules.

The moderators do not have to explain their actions when they need to delete a post. It could be a private matter, and not something that needs to be broadcast to the rest of the members. It could be deleting spam. Either way, rest assured that they're doing their jobs, and from what I have seen, they are doing it quite well under the circumstances.

I'm not going to continue to post since the mods hold the power and will shape things as they see fit. Just to note, none of the deleted posts belonged to me. That said, I stick by my opinions and my ability to voice those opinions as, based on my reading of the ECF rules, they do not run counter to said rules. Factual or not, it disappoints me as an American and as a human being to see someone in a position of power write a response like that.

AngusATAT

Captain Tightpants
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
GA, USA
I'm not going to continue to post since the mods hold the power and will shape things as they see fit. Just to note, none of the deleted posts belonged to me. That said, I stick by my opinions and my ability to voice those opinions as, based on my reading of the ECF rules, they do not run counter to said rules. Factual or not, it disappoints me as an American and as a human being to see someone in a position of power write a response like that.

Nobody said you couldn't voice your opinions. But the hard truth is, sometimes the reason things are done just aren't anyone's business. The volunteer moderators of the PIF have enough things to do around here without having to explain every single action they take. If a post is deleted, it's for a good reason. If they don't give an explanation for it... they don't have to. But they do discuss every action they take amongst themselves, and are a lot more tolerant of things than I would be in their shoes.

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
The Man has spoken!!!!

I am very comfortable with the actions of the moderators, its too bad we lost one also....just my opinion.

Free speech comes with consequences that affect civility and decorum, those should always be maintained among our group. We Americans are not acting flush with class lately, empathy and sympathy have seemed to fall by the wayside.:)

approved.png

IndustrialAction

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2010
Northern VA
Peace Out!!!!!

Wow, that was uncalled for. Didn't mean that I would no longer contribute, just not to this thread. Perhaps I'm not the one that should leave. Again, I still feel justified in voicing my opinion. If others do not agree, that is fine. We are all entitled to our opinions and I respect that. I can't say that I'm getting much respect in return though.

BTW - This comment...

"Free speech comes with consequences that affect civility and decorum, those should always be maintained among our group. We Americans are not acting flush with class lately, empathy and sympathy have seemed to fall by the wayside."

...bothers me a bit. I initially and continuously agreed that personal attacks were not appropriate and should not be on the site. I simply asked if a bit more personal judgment could be used on posts that may have violated the rules but could serve as something to learn from. It would be helpful if people would read what people are saying BEFORE responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread