Not open for further replies.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Another 3.7V battery option to look at, some good reviews over on cpf and budgetlightforum, is the xtar wp2 II. If you need to charge shorter 16340 batteries, you need the extra spacer set (about $1). Use the "1" switch setting for smaller batteries (under 1000 mAh).

The Pilas have a great rep, this is just another option for a decent charger.

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
Does anybody have any feedback on the Pila 4-stage charger? It's pricey, wondered about the value.

I love my XTAR MP6. Great value for money, no springs to break and great adjustable system. Batteries are never hot and fully charged in the proper time. Six independent charge channels.

View attachment 91307

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
If you want a hard cutoff, look for a little outlet timer. I use: Belkin - Conserve Socket Power Timer - White/Lemongrass - F7C009

$10 total. BestBuy is out of stock, but it's available other places.

I use one with a triple tap outlet for my PV chargers upstairs, a second one in the basement connected to a power strip for my power tool chargers.

For the PV stuff, I have it set to 3 hours -- all my batteries charge in that time, and there's only a small window for "over charging". The xtar wp2 II has a trivial "trickle", something like 0.1mA. Equally, when power is disconnected, its discharge rate is only 0.5 mA -- I could leave my batteries in the charger, with charger powered off, for 10 hours, only lose 5 mAh of useable capacity.

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Due to long hours at work I usually end up letting my ultrafire charger go overnight, my aw's always cut off at 4.17-4.19 . Check them often using a portable little meter I soldered together with leads and aligator clips. As a precaution I charge them in a metal box meant for a tork mechanical timeclock. Just took out a knockout for the wire to go through and thats where I do all my charging.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

siampumpkin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2011
Thanks, I was looking into this charger too. I was hoping to find something I can safely use overnight, the problem being that with my work schedule the only time I'm any place for more then 5 consecutive hours is when im sleeping, so it makes attending charging batteries difficult.

It stops Charing when the battery is full without fail and the batteries never heat up.

Posted with Tapatalk 2 on my Atrix 4G

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
The first one I bought only one bay charges. I sent it back to the vendor to be checked out. The vendor said it was working as it should be, but it ,still didn't work for me. So instead of adding to the cost with more shipping expenses, I put it aside for a backup. The second I bought, from another vendor works better, but won't always charge to a reasonable level. I have some AW IMR's 14500 that will only charge to 4.1-4.12v, but when I put them on the Xtar, they charge to 4.18-4.2v. I'm just tired of foolin with it, so it too has become a back up for an emergency. I probably should have sent this one back, but didn't, like I said I am just tired of fooling with em. I don't want to dis the Pila too much, as everyone else seems to really like em, just my luck hasn't been good with them.

What issue(s) did you have with them?

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Not even an undecent B&M :( Some of the small smoke shops carry some stuff, but you probably know how that is.

Thanks for the feedback! Btw, we're neighbors almost. I don't suppose there is a decent brick and mortar store anywhere in the IE? I haven't been able to locate one so far....

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The first one I bought only one bay charges. I sent it back to the vendor to be checked out. The vendor said it was working as it should be, but it ,still didn't work for me. So instead of adding to the cost with more shipping expenses, I put it aside for a backup. The second I bought, from another vendor works better, but won't always charge to a reasonable level. I have some AW IMR's 14500 that will only charge to 4.1-4.12v, but when I put them on the Xtar, they charge to 4.18-4.2v. I'm just tired of foolin with it, so it too has become a back up for an emergency. I probably should have sent this one back, but didn't, like I said I am just tired of fooling with em. I don't want to dis the Pila too much, as everyone else seems to really like em, just my luck hasn't been good with them.

The lower charge of the Pila is really not a bad thing. It's much better to be slightly undercharged then to push it to the limit. 4.2 is the absolute limit on lithium batteries. Anything over that is in the danger zone. I would much rather have a charger that goes on the side of caution.

Once you start using the battery the voltage quickly drops so you really are not losing much of anything. Between the two I would go with the Pila.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The difference you would notice between a slightly higher charge is so small it doesn't matter. Once you actually start using the battery the voltage will almost immediately drop from the peak you have when fresh off the charger. You are splitting hairs if you think it matters.

For myself I would rather have a lower charge then to be consistently pushing the battery. In the long run its better for the battery and very likely safer. Sure, you can push it, but why would you want to.

Jeann

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2011
The Netherlands

lately am having simular problems with my Pila witch i have for about a year now. am only using AW IMR 14500 600mah and were preforming fine, even tho they were charged to only 4.15v. all of a sudden the batts started to preform weak so bought myself new batts and they showed the same performence. looks like the Pila can't charge them to 4.15v anymore, if i give them a reset they read about 4.17v. those batts do much better, but can't say that i'm impressed with how long i can use them.

were you able to nail down the problems to only the 14500 batts, or was it with all sorts of batts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread