Planning on buying a sidesho, couple of question

Status
Not open for further replies.

UserLuxembourg

Jul 19, 2011
Luxembourg
So right now, I have a Prosmoke M40x e cig, and I'm quite happy about it, but I'm gonna resell it to a friend so I can buy a Sidesho Supreme Kit, after reading a few reviews, I think I'll be more satisfied with it.

1)I'd like to buy a stainless steel/black one, with a white led, but I got told that you wouldn't sell them anymore because they're not popular enough. Is that true?

2)Does a completely assembled ecig fit into the PCC by now? I love that about my Prosmoke, I just have one case to carry that way. If it can't fit assembled, can I put everything I want in there, or do I need to carry both the metal case and the PCC around?

3)I fill and refill my cartridges myself, what would be best recommended? An atty, an SS atty or a carto?

4)I see that there's a blue foam filter? Is it better than the white stuff I got with my Prosmoke?

5)What is the difference between the Sidesho and an usual M40x?

6)Being quite a heavy smoker, what difference does it make between a drip tip and an atomizer?

7)How does it feel to smoke with a manual battery? Must I push it down the whole time while taking a hit, or do I need to push twice to turn it on and off? Does it feel natural while holding? (Can I vape while holding my ecig like an analog between two fingers?)

8)Does the usb passthrough come in automatic or just manual?

Thank you very much in advance!

Biomom

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2010
Washington, DC
You might want to customize your order and order parts separately. Last I read if you purchase the mini batteries an assembled cig will fit in the PCC, however, you might enjoy the balance, feel and long-lasting standard batteries. I recently purchased a stainless battery with blue LED and stainless cartomizers (they provided free stickers if I wanted to add the black look).

If you want the closest analog feel, I recommend the auto batteries; they are superb and it's unnecessary IMO to get a manual, which most use to get a longer hotter burn. The cutoff is at least 8 seconds in my experience and taking that long of a draw makes me dizzy :)

I work nights and can really chain vape. Refilling the cartomizers works really well, and they last a good long hassle-free time. The blue foam mods work well, but I would only use them if you were really hooked on the atomizer/drip tip and cartridge for traveling system

Many of the other questions just depends on what you find on their website under accessories.

Good luck!

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Hey there. First, welcome to the MV forum. I'll do my best to help but I can say Biomom gave great advice.

1. Calling MV directly to place your order is the way you may want to handle this as they can tell you what is in stock and allow you to customize perhaps more than you can on the website.

2. A completely assembled PV with a mini battery will fit in the PCC. Again, if you call, you may be able to customize your order. Keep in mind though that battery size dictates how long the battery will last between charges.

3. An SS atty will give you a slightly stronger hit, but for the sake of your question, it comes down to if you want to mess with filled carts on an atty or just get a cartomizer. My suggestion is a cartomizer if you're not one to drip directly on an atty.

4. You can't replace the filler in a cartomizer really but if you're talking about the blue foam mod of the carts that attach to atomizers, the I can say most people seem to have the opinion that replacing the white foam with the blue marine foam transfers more juice to the atty more efficiently. There are many mods for this setup, but its another reason why I would suggest just going with a cartomizer instead.

5. I'm not sure as I never used the M40x nor know anyone that has but it appears the M40x is just a rebranded M403. MV tweaks designs to fit what they feel is the best and by doing this, they had come up with the Sidesho.

6. A drip tip would be used on an atty instead of a foam filled cart. This gives a wide hole at the end to drip juice directly on the atty as needed.

7. Unlike Biomom, my wife and I as fans of manual batteries and it doesn't take long for it to become very natural. You hold it down the entire time you take a drag. When vaping like this, you hold the PV differently than with an analog. In stead of between your first and second finger, you'd hold it between your thumb and first finger.

8. To my knowledge, passthroughs are manual.

For more info on a lot of these questions, see the thread I started a couple of days ago. Here is the link and good luck!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modernvapor/214136-modern-vapor-hardware-basics-tips.html

auTONYmous

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Great advice, Garnoch. I'll see if I can add anything...

1. Definitely call for questions about unusual combos. They may actually have one-offs that aren't on the web site.

2. The SS attys give better flavor reproduction (and slightly more vapor) than the standard attys. Depending on the juice, this can be a good or bad thing. My advice is get one anyway, as the difference is noticeable, and can turn a "bad" juice into something vapable.

Cartos, on the contrary, are for your everyday mainstays. They have pretty much the same flavor reproduction (with just slightly lower throat hit) as a standard atty would. The bonus with a carto is portability. A filled carto can roughly double the amount of juice over a filled cart, so you refill less often. They are also less messy to refill than a cart. The downside to cartos is they are designed to be disposable, as cleaning them doesn't quite work over the long term (if you can manage to sorta-kinda clean one at all.)

4. Blue foam in a Sidesho IS doable, but really didn't work well in my trials. I had better luck with it on the 902. Basically, the blue foam "wicks" better than the standard cart filler - it gets more juice out of the cart and onto the atomizer. It takes trial and error to measure,cut,install effectively, but can be satisfying knowing that you're completely drying out the carts when it's in use. The downside - some people can taste it, kind of a plasticky residue taste. I personally can depending on the juice.

IF you're going to try it: take your new foam and give it a thorough soak in the hottest water possible before cutting any pieces off. Then re-soak the cut pieces before you install in the carts. I have a thread of a [thread=71218]blue foam mod I personally do with 902's here[/thread] (you can try to adapt to the Sidesho, as I have done this as well).

And, NO, this does not work with cartos. Any attempt to replace the filler in any of MV's cartos will effectively destroy it.

6. Drip tips can be used with attys or cartos. When used with an atty, you can skip the cart altogether, using just the atty with the drip tip on it. That way, you can pour a couple of drops straight from your juice bottle directly through the tip onto the atty to try out new flavors/combos or for quick fixes without filling a whole cart. When used with a carto, you can refill the carto without disassembling anything. My advice is using a drip tip with (from 3. above) an SS atty, as the combo gives remarkable flavor/vapor/TH in a very satisfying, quick fix way.

Edit: I just read the Sidesho Drip Tips blurb from the MV site: recommended to use ONLY with manual batts, as the manuals are sealed, the autos have a small hole in the bottom for activation purposes. Dripping on an auto batt runs the risk of getting juice into the battery, which will destroy it.

7. Manual vs auto is a personal debate that will never be "won". Some people prefer one or the other. My pref is manual for a couple of reasons: auto batts have a nasty habit of being triggered by something other than vaping (and yes this applies to any auto e-cig, not just MV's). And manuals tend to last just a tiny bit longer due to the fact that you release it when you're done with your drag - it doesn't wait an extra second or two after you stop like an auto. Lastly, manuals don't require you to pull extra hard or even consistenly to activate it or keep it going. You press the button and drag as hard or lightly as you want.

Manuals don't take much getting used to, unless you like driving a 5-speed with a smoke hanging off your lip and both hands busy. In that case, you'll want an auto. I suggest getting a couple of both.

8. All of MV's current passthroughs are manual (though I am the proud owner of a certain *rare* auto 902 passthrough :vapor:)

Last edited:

UserLuxembourg

Jul 19, 2011
Luxembourg
Thanks for all your answers!
Btw, the "x" in M40x stands for the 1, 2 or 3, I don't really know which one I have exactly.

Based on your answers, I have a couple more questions:

1.My e cig is 97 mm long, so I guess I already have mini batteries, and I'm quite pleased with their autonomy due to the PCC. So MV's automatic batteries are just as sensitive as other automatic batteries?
Considering that, I might order two mini batteries, and one manual for when I go to a place with loud music.

2.Right now I use an atomizer with 5 cartridges that I constantly refill, and I only refill them about twice a week. I use a bit more than one cartridge a day, so I am very comfortable with that system. I wonder why they last that long, cos I vape quite a lot, and people always say they need up to 4 cartridges a day... I've made two and a half weeks with 10ml of eliquid.
So it would be the same with a cartomizer, I just need to change them more often?

3.When you drip, you have to refill far more often, right? Since I'm comfortable with the way atomizers and cartridges work, cartomizers would still be a better bet?

4.Do the cartomizers fit in the PCC?

The problem is that I live in Europe, so shipping costs add a lot to the actual price. Also, I try to stay as close as possible to an analog cigarette.
Regarding those two point, cartomizers would still be the better shot?

@Biomom, do you maybe have a picture of your stainless steel sidesho with the stainless carto? I can't find anything on the internet...

I'm so sorry to bother you all, I just need to be sure to order the right thing immediately due to the shipping costs...

Thanks again...

Last edited:

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
Don't be sorry and I hope it all works out.
1. I think your idea is good.
2. I always wonder the same thing because I think I vape a lot but obviously don't I use 5 to 7 ml a day I think. Cartomizers though actually hold more juice.
3. When you drip, you are just dripping a couple drops at a time onto the bridge of the atty.
4. Yes
If you wanted black cart for your atty or black cartomizers, they do carry them. What they don't have right now is the stainless batt with a white light. Only blue right now.

UserLuxembourg

Jul 19, 2011
Luxembourg
So do cartomizers just carry more liquid, or do they also consume more?

Ok, thank you so much, that was my last question for now, I think I know everything I wanted to know!
I've seen pictures of completely stainless ecigs, and it looks pretty wicked.
But the stainless cartomizers are still plastic, right?

Last edited:

Garnoch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
NYC
a Cartomizer is basically an atomizer and cartridge all in one. Because of the space saving design, it can hold more juice, but they are not meant to last as long as an atomizer, in fact they are considered disposable which is why 5 cost about the same as 1 atty. They can't be cleaned like some people do with atomizers.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modernvapor/214136-modern-vapor-hardware-basics-tips.html
As for the stainless cartomizers, I think they are metal. My wife has some for her stainless Sidesho battery and yeah it looks very cool.

UserLuxembourg

Jul 19, 2011
Luxembourg
I saw your post, and analyzed everything :)
I see how they can hold more juice and can't be cleaned as well, I was just wondering it it consumes more juice.

i wonder if a metal tip is very healthy for the teeth, since you sometimes want to hold it in between.
and if i read one of your previous posts right, the black cartomizers are metal too with a black sticker around, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread