Plastic Bottles & E-Liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rannar

Apr 4, 2012
Los Angeles
I was about to make a topic about this but decide to share my experience here :)

After vaping for 5 months I got myself 12 1oz Glass Dropper Bottles (I really didn't need that many bottles but that's what I can get from amazon. And maybe I might need them in the future :p). Banana is the flavor that I vape. After a week or 2 in a plastic bottle, the perfume of the flavor started to decay. The juice started to turn darker. While I was waiting on my juice order, I commenced to vape the dark banana juice. I can taste plastic. No banana flavor. I noticed the juice label on the plastic bottle wrinkled up.

After 2 weeks utilizing the glass dropper bottle the color of the juice stayed the same and the taste is still strong. But I can't smell the juice. When I open the bottle, I can smell my favorite aroma juice sooth up my nose (snnnnniff...... ahhhhhh :)) and a nice frbreeze in my room :p

Glass bottle is a life saver. I believe that acidic juice causes the juice to darken and decay the taste if its in a plastic bottle. I prefer clear glass bottle so I can see my juice better.

Anyways, hope this is an encouragement for anyone who are considering getting a glass bottle. If you like having all kind of flavor, those glass bottles may look good in your collection ...may look like you have a science lab :p

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I just placed another order for a dozen of the Cobalt Blue 30ml bottles and a dozen of the Amber color bottles, also ordered some 2oz and 4oz of the Blue and Amber since I just placed another order for some 100mg VG Base Nic which will go right into the 4oz bottles and right into the freezer. Anything and everything I have is always going to be and stay in Glass I'm just not going to risk Anything leaching again, plus every juice I have seems to taste better when stored in Glass for the last year or so.To me its a no brainer.

I also have been in discussion with the vendor who's bottles that I noticed this happening with, this vendor agrees on the glass and is going to start offering glass as an option and then possibly go all glass in the near future. It's about a .30c cost hike in the juice price, I'll pay that all day long for Glass over plastic bottles .:)

ogredog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
fontana,Cali
Ahhh yes interesting thread! Well im sure the rubber on the dropper and cap of glass bottles aren't good either not to mention artificial sweeteners, the plastic and glue in pv hardware and cartos and lab cleanliness....you may also want to avoid touching those glossy retail store receipts...if you don't know what im talking about look it up...we breath outgassing in our cars too...and cover ourselves in chemicals with each load of laundry, shower, application of perfumes,deodorant and lotions let alone the crud like preservatives in our food etc. But hey i guess you can try minimizing it by using glass bottles lol

Last edited:

Rannar

Apr 4, 2012
Los Angeles
@ogredog, yeah... I thought about those rubber caps on the glass bottles. I try not to let the juice touch the cap but when my bottle is full, there is nothing I can do about it. I just have to vape it down a bit where I can stir the juice around to mix the ingredient in the juice (I see a thick layer at the top of the juice. I believe its the actual juice or nic).

But hey, if all other product in our daily life is hazardous, I'll just think we can build immune to it for our future great grand children, if the world doesn't melt, explode, or fry up. I bet they are going to look like what we know as Aliens :p lol

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
I've been reusing a few plastic juice bottles as i dilute a stronger juice to get to the nic level I want, and hadn't really thought about this. I vape fruit flavors, though not often citrus ones, and after 4 months I see no visible change in the bottle, or taste of my liquids. I have ruined stockpiled juices much like AG also, so have kept my stocks down to 2 months worth lately.

This thread made me rethink my strategy. Will get some glass for longer term storage. I'm not overly concerned with the brief time it may be in plastic on its way here (vendor mixes to order in my case).

Thanks for bringing it up mwa, despite it getting a little heated in here.

Sent from my phone; Please excuse typos / autocorrections.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
@ ogredog really,

Thats what you bring to this thread, the juice isnt always touching and in contact with the the bottle caps in glass bottles. number two where inhaling this stuff into our lungs a few hundred times a day or so. Lastly we all have choices, if you dont care what you vape that's fine and dandy brutha, I do and so do many others. Oh and the hands can be washed plenty of times daily, unless your putting your fingers in your mouth or picking your nose a few hundred time a day the crud on the receipts, clothes, perfumes, lotions, deodorant, isn't going into your lungs and getting to vital organs but maybe a few microns which your body fights off :)

Last edited:

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I've resisted going "all glass" mainly because I store my juices in plastic bottles with Luer-lock tops with syringes so I can quickly and easily fill my tanks. Today I'm going to order glass bottles and just take the extra step of using a syringe to fill my tanks. While I'm not 100% convinced about the leaching, I am convinced my juice tastes better stored in glass. After reading that last sentence, if you can taste the difference, and I can, then something is going on. Thanks for bringing this up Matt.

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
Ahhh yes interesting thread! Well im sure the rubber on the dropper and cap of glass bottles aren't good either not to mention artificial sweeteners, the plastic and glue in pv hardware and cartos and lab cleanliness....you may also want to avoid touching those glossy retail store receipts...if you don't know what im talking about look it up...we breath outgassing in our cars too...and cover ourselves in chemicals with each load of laundry, shower, application of perfumes,deodorant and lotions let alone the crud like preservatives in our food etc. But hey i guess you can try minimizing it by using glass bottles lol

...and cell phones lol

Thanks for making a good point, but I prefer to minimize my juice loss in the future.

As far as dangers I can't control at all...that's life, but I'm not a sheep, nor will I throw up my hands & do nothing.
If I don't take precautions for my own safety, then I'm not being fair to myself.

(I use a headset, so my cell phone isn't by my head. ;) )

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Ogredog makes a good point, but so does the op. I don't think any hazard is necessarily more noteworthy than any other, and I think it is counterproductive to have a face off with the negatives of disparate subjects. However, I think the point of the op is that there are initial risks in vaping that we as vapers accept, but, the secondary risks that are not essential parts to the calculated risks are worth caring enough about to nix...when possible.

My calculated risks with vaping are: production of the juice and ingredients, and the hardware I use to vape, and the quantity of consumption with the aforementioned...I did not and do not intend to calculate the risks of leeched plastic, that was not part of my wager! The second I become aware of something that is easy enough to remedy, then I am at that point making a choice to accept or reject. Glass bottles are something I currently accept as a part of the storage process now and it is really no sweat...

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Let's use some deductive reasoning on this. First, the facts.
1) Some bottles, not all, marked LDPE show signs of being affected by stored E-Juice
2) Possible reasons are
a: Improperly made bottles.
b: Differences in liquid composition.
c: Handling/Storage.
If "a" is the reason we will probably never be able to verify it.
Looking at "b", since not all bottles are experiencing this problem, we have to exclude the common chemicals found in most, if not all e-juice. PG, VG and nicotine. The variables between juices are flavorings and additives.
If we can assume that the bottles have been stored at room temperature and out of direct sunlight and have not been heated or handled in any way out of the ordinary,then "c" could be excluded.
Conclusion: While LDPE is highly resistant to chemicals, the only variable that I can see that would produce this effect lies in the flavorings and/or additives in the juices that were in those bottles. Since we have no idea what molecules are used in these, we are left with two choices.
1) Make a list of specific juices that cause this effect.
2) Use glass and hope like hell the same thing isn't happening inside our lungs!!!!!

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
Folks...don't you think that if there were severe health risks involved with vaping that we'd have seen SOMETHING on the national news about it (other than the occasional "is it safe story")? I mean, it would be a HUGE story if anyone had major health problems from vaping. Try as they might, the national media has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to report on in almost a decade of use, other than some guy blowing up a stacked-batt PV mod in his mouth.

If ANYONE can give me an example of someone suffering medical problems (SEVERE...not a PG skin rash) due wholly or in-part to the use of e-liquid, I would love to hear it...consider it a dare. :)

I'm just sane...

Last edited:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Folks...don't you think that if there were severe health risks involved with vaping that we'd have seen SOMETHING on the national news about it (other than the occasional "is it safe story")? I mean, it would be a HUGE story if anyone had major health problems from vaping. Try as they might, the national media has had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to report on in almost a decade of use, other than some guy blowing up a stacked-batt PV mod in his mouth.

If ANYONE can give me an example of someone suffering medical problems (SEVERE...not a PG skin rash) due wholly or in-part to the use of e-liquid, I would love to hear it...consider it a dare. :)

I'm just sane...

Vaping is what, like four and a half years old? Problems develop overtime, ya' dig? Was your post meant to be taken in jest? Maybe you should research thalidomide babies to see what can happen overtime when people are none the wiser to what is up. Not saying this plastic issue is equivalent, but no need to be cavalier, and if you don't care, then congratulations on your indifference!

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
Vaping is what, like four and a half years old? Problems develop overtime, ya' dig? Was your post meant to be taken in jest? Maybe you should research thalidomide babies to see what can happen overtime when people are none the wiser to what is up. Not saying this plastic issue is equivalent, but no need to be cavalier, and if you don't care, then congratulations on your indifference!

From Wikipedia: "The electronic cigarette concept first appeared in a patent acquired by Herbert A. Gilbert in 1963.[6] The device was described as, "...a smokeless non-tobacco cigarette ... to provide a safe and harmless means for and method of smoking by replacing burning tobacco and paper with heated, moist, flavored air..." Due to the limitations of technology available at the time, and because tobacco was not yet generally accepted as harmful, this device never reached manufacturing.

The modern electronic cigarette was invented by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik in 2003 and introduced to the market the following year. The company he worked for, Golden Dragon Holdings, changed its name to Ruyan (meaning "to resemble smoking"), and started exporting its products in 2005–2006,[7] before receiving the first international patent in 2007.[8]"

I stand corrected by the facts...9 years...not a decade.

AGAIN: If ANYONE can give me an example of someone suffering medical problems (SEVERE...not a PG skin rash) due wholly or in-part to the use of e-liquid, I would love to hear it...consider it a dare.

I care...I'm just sane...

Last edited:

Malduk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Croatia
Weird thread. I'd say concern is legitimate, and would like to thank the OP for raising it, as I never really thought about it so far.
Having said that, I'm not overly concerned as I never noticed any issues with my plastic bottles. I DIY, and I buy bottles from local manufacturer, and never noticed any of the issues raised so far. I was just today at the store, and after seeing that glass bottles aren't much more expensive (just couple of cents), I see no reason not to transfer everything to glass. But I also never drip directly from the bottle; I use those with flat caps and use pipettes and syringes to fill, so squeezing isn't an issue.

Also, summer is coming. Long, hot, sunny days are ahead. Having my juice in the dark glass bottles might be a good idea.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009

I'm just sane...

Just sane , and a dare huh ? ok dare this,,,,, go put some cinnamon oil flavoring in either PG or VG with Nic, mix it up and store it for 4 months,,, then go vape that whole bottle of juice,,,, see ya in 4 months with your answer on the dare, and have a great vaping experience, let us know how it taste, will see ya in 4 months.

RickHerron, I see you've been a member for a month now, and probably vaping for not much longer, though I'm sure you will say you have been like most do,,,, but you have no experience to have even stored a bottle of juice for 4-6 months,,,, come back and post once you have earned some experience to talk about the subject because you obviously don't have enough yet.

I dont think anyone is insulting your intelligence but yourself Rick

Last edited:

RickHerron

Moved On
Apr 29, 2012
Just sane , and a dare huh ? ok dare this,,,,, go put some cinnamon oil flavoring in either PG or VG with Nic, mix it up and store it for 4 months,,, then go vape that whole bottle of juice,,,, see ya in 4 months with your answer on the dare, and have a great vaping experience, let us know how it taste, will see ya in 4 months.

And other than the bad taste I expect to find, the health issues will be...what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread