Status
Not open for further replies.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I've vaped at LAX, in one of the restaurants in the airport. I've vaped at Kennedy Airport, and several of the employees saw me, and didn't say a word.

I have vaped in some of the most upscale restaurants in Beverly Hills.

I've vaped on a plane, I've vaped in a box, I've vaped with a fox...(starting to sound like Dr. Suess)

Hey, if we DON'T vap in public, vaping will NOT become mainstream, and gain acceptance!

Believe me, the tobacco industry has a VERY good reason to try and put an end to vaping. They have MILLIONS of reasons, and MILLIONS of dollars for lobbyists!

So... how do we combat them?

By spreading the word! By gaining in numbers!

Every time I vap in public, people ask me about it! Most people are curious. Many are smokers, who are thrilled to hear that there may be a way to quit smoking, that isn't painful!

I was at Universal Studio park last week, and vaped all over the park! I vaped on the rides (there was only myself and my wife in our row, but I might have vaped on the ride even with other people in our row, I'm not sure)

Hey, going to the smoking area at Disneyland, or Universal, and vaping with all of the smokers is a. a hassle and b. NOT going to spread the ecig word!

If a smoker asks me about it, I give them the URL for this site, tell them about different ecigs, basically spread the gospil. My brother's partner has quit smoking, ONLY because he's heard about my ecigs and asked me about it!

Hey, some actress (sorry, I don't really follow actors and actresses, and forget her name) vapped on David Letterman the other night! That was GREAT! THAT is what we need, NOT people climbing into a broom closet to vap, as if they're doing something wrong! Letterman himself took several drags on her ecig, and he loved it! THAT was GREAT!!! THAT will bring people around to hearing about vaping, to telling friends and family who smoke about vaping, and to expanding our numbers!

HIDING IT WILL KILL VAPING, by keeping our numbers low!

Hey, I am NOT obnoxious about it, I don't blow vap into people's faces, but I DO vap in public, out in the open, and without any inhibitions. If the establishment asks me not to vap in their establishment (never happened yet), I'll go outside.

Movie theaters? Heck yea! Bars? Definitely! Restaurants? Airports? Hey, EVERYWHERE!

Will you get the occasional smoke nazi who tries to bash you? Sure.

I've never been one to let small, narrow minded ignorant people keep me from doing what I want to do. AND.. for every ONE smoke nazi you come across, I promise, you'll have 10, 20 people who tell you that their mother, father, sister, brother, child smokes, and they're going to tell them about vaping, if it can help them to quit!

The more people vap, the more power we have! The more you vap in public, and POLITELY explain it to people, and tell them the success rate it has in helping people quit anaolgs, the more people will spread the word, and the more power we'll have!

PLEASE... vap in public! Vap often, and vap proudly!

Last edited:

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
<snip>Hey, going to the smoking area at Disneyland, or Universal, and vaping with all of the smokers is a. a hassle and b. NOT going to spread the ecig word!<snip>

Actually, you have a better chance "spreading the word" by vaping in designated smoking areas than you do around a bunch of ignorant non-smokers who think if it looks like smoke, it must be smoke. Educating and converting smokers is the best way to push vaping mainstream.

Just my :2c:.

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Actually, you have a better chance "spreading the word" by vaping in designated smoking areas than you do around a bunch of ignorant non-smokers

Nah.

Have you ever been to one of the smoking areas at Disneyland? It's PACKED with about 100 hard core smokers, all puffing away while trying to catch their breath after searching all over a 100 acre park, looking for one of the TWO designated smoking areas, to satisfy their nicotine craving (hey, I KNOW... I've been there)

Now if you REALLY want to get attention... sit in the front row at church, and right as the preachers sermon starts, pull out that Silver Bullet of yours, start vaping, and blow billows of clouds up towards the pew.

Now THAT will get you some attention! Believe me, you'll have tons of converts within a few hours!

Hummm... wonder what I'm doing next sunday.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
Your methodology just seems extremely narcissistic to me. How did you survive out in the world until you found the ecig that you cannot go through a church service without feeling the need to pull out your Silver Bullet? As a cradle Catholic, going way back before cigarette were even acknowledged as maybe not so good for you, nobody would consider smoking in church; it was considered disrespectful, and I can't help but think that "blowing billows of clouds" in the middle of a religious ceremony sounds more like "look at me" than a desire to educate the public.

Vape walking down the street, and I can even see vaping walking around Disneyland. But if the situation was never appropriate for smoking, like church, it sure as heck is not appropriate for vaping.

Krazirob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Cameron, NC
Actually, you have a better chance "spreading the word" by vaping in designated smoking areas than you do around a bunch of ignorant non-smokers who think if it looks like smoke, it must be smoke. Educating and converting smokers is the best way to push vaping mainstream.

i agree with that.......i purposely go to the smoking areas at work to let other smokers know about this wonderful realm of smoking......converted at least 10 of em within a months time.....LOL

DemonCowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Florida, US
I've vaped at LAX, in one of the restaurants in the airport. I've vaped at Kennedy Airport, and several of the employees saw me, and didn't say a word.

I have vaped in some of the most upscale restaurants in Beverly Hills.

I've vaped on a plane, I've vaped in a box, I've vaped with a fox...(starting to sound like Dr. Suess)

Hey, if we DON'T vap in public, vaping will NOT become mainstream, and gain acceptance!

Believe me, the tobacco industry has a VERY good reason to try and put an end to vaping. They have MILLIONS of reasons, and MILLIONS of dollars for lobbyists!

So... how do we combat them?

By spreading the word! By gaining in numbers!

Every time I vap in public, people ask me about it! Most people are curious. Many are smokers, who are thrilled to hear that there may be a way to quit smoking, that isn't painful!

I was at Universal Studio park last week, and vaped all over the park! I vaped on the rides (there was only myself and my wife in our row, but I might have vaped on the ride even with other people in our row, I'm not sure)

Hey, going to the smoking area at Disneyland, or Universal, and vaping with all of the smokers is a. a hassle and b. NOT going to spread the ecig word!

If a smoker asks me about it, I give them the URL for this site, tell them about different ecigs, basically spread the gospil. My brother's partner has quit smoking, ONLY because he's heard about my ecigs and asked me about it!

Hey, some actress (sorry, I don't really follow actors and actresses, and forget her name) vapped on David Letterman the other night! That was GREAT! THAT is what we need, NOT people climbing into a broom closet to vap, as if they're doing something wrong! Letterman himself took several drags on her ecig, and he loved it! THAT was GREAT!!! THAT will bring people around to hearing about vaping, to telling friends and family who smoke about vaping, and to expanding our numbers!

HIDING IT WILL KILL VAPING, by keeping our numbers low!

Hey, I am NOT obnoxious about it, I don't blow vap into people's faces, but I DO vap in public, out in the open, and without any inhibitions. If the establishment asks me not to vap in their establishment (never happened yet), I'll go outside.

Movie theaters? Heck yea! Bars? Definitely! Restaurants? Airports? Hey, EVERYWHERE!

Will you get the occasional smoke nazi who tries to bash you? Sure.

I've never been one to let small, narrow minded ignorant people keep me from doing what I want to do. AND.. for every ONE smoke nazi you come across, I promise, you'll have 10, 20 people who tell you that their mother, father, sister, brother, child smokes, and they're going to tell them about vaping, if it can help them to quit!

The more people vap, the more power we have! The more you vap in public, and POLITELY explain it to people, and tell them the success rate it has in helping people quit anaolgs, the more people will spread the word, and the more power we'll have!

PLEASE... vap in public! Vap often, and vap proudly!

+1 about time someone gets it. we not only have to spread the word to smokers (them being interested so they can have their nic in those areas too) but also get the non-smokers used to seeing it again and end the stigma so we can stop being treated like 2nd class citizens

easy there its not too cool to just vape were ya want too ..the vaping 5 0 are out and looking for you ..only in permitted areas ..
like duh ....

lawnman3...

my god!!! which do u work for, the FDA? Big Pharma? Big Tobacco? which is it? and how much are they paying u to write this stuff trying to talk ppl into helping get e-cigs looked down on so they can be banned easier?

the thing is though we also have to get the non-smokers used to seeing it. PLUS it makes smokers want it more finding out how they can get the ability to enjoy their nicotine in those places too

Socalvapster

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
Rosemead, California
I've been vaping in Disneyland all summer all around the park. While waiting near a restroom for my family I witnessed a smoker hiding to take a drag and one of the "cast members" asked him smoking is not permitted other than designated smoking areas. After he made him aware it was my chance to ask the "cast member" if electronic cigarettes were confined to smoking areas. He said no those are permitted. So I vape everywhere, although I'm conscious about doing it near babies, children, or someone on a oxygen tank, of course. I still try to be inconspicuous by stealth vaping at DL. I also have been approached by cast members while vaping there and once I let them know it's an e-cigarette, they say oh ok go ahead. I guess they all have been told about them which is great! So until e cigs are the norm I use common sense and get a feel first for wherever you vape.

Last edited:

HappyHooligan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2010
Welsh, LA
I agree with this one. vape where you want. I am in the army and even though a lot of us smoke it is as bad here as any where else. smoking has to be done only in designated areas and you will quickly get chewed out if you are not in the right spot. (yes even here in afghanistan) but I vape in my office, in the hanger where I work, and in most buildings where I end up waiting for something. I have met many high ups that way, most of them wanting to know about my ecig. I have not been told I can't yet. over all the military may be looking down on ecigs, but one on one everyone I have met that asks I explain what it is, and point them to ecf for more information.

scinsc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2010
USA
Good job Shel.

Some folks are so intimidated by the PC crowd they can't see straight. When some vapers cower like criminals and have to hide in bathrooms or go outside to sneak a vape something is very wrong. What we are really talking about here is the false perception that vaping is just another way of smoking. VAPING IS NOT SMOKING. It is the alternative to smoking. Until we drive that point home loud and clear we are always going to have an uphill battle.

I think there are a couple of things we can do to help with our perception problem. The manufacturers made a huge mistake by using the term Ecigarette. While it may have been great marketing at first it’s killing us now. People that don’t know about vaping hear the word ecigarette and disregard the ‘E’ and only hear ‘cigarette’. Cigarette = smoking. It’s time to bury the word Ecigarette and replace it with the term that fits i.e. Personal Vaporizer.

Another mistake is producing them to look like cigarettes because that automatically makes us look like any other smoker. My PV doesn’t look anything like a cigarette and when people ask what it is I tell them it’s a Personal Vaporizer that has added years to my life. I also make a conscious effort to never use the word Ecigarette.

I think most of us in this forum understand that PV’s are a godsend and we certainly can’t trust the government or the media to help us. The more public we are the better.

191ahc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2010
Berkeley, CA
Amen Brother! I got started on ecigs when a customer saw me smoking an analog and suggested I look ecigs up on Google...quit the same day I received my 510 starter kit.

BTW: I'm working on a handout and would like to hear opinions:

"What you have seen is a battery operated PV—Personal Vaporizer or Electronic “cigarette” but it does not burn tobacco! The “smoke” is 99% water vapor. There is no second hand smoke. There is no fire danger, no lingering smell, no butts and no health risk for the user or bystanders. People using this machine are not smoking! It delivers a small amount of nicotine to the user but without any cancer causing chemicals. This device has helped many to stop smoking tobacco. This device does not violate any “No Smoking” laws."

Last edited:

Shel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Good job Shel.

Cigarette = smoking. It’s time to bury the word Ecigarette and replace it with the term that fits i.e. Personal Vaporizer.

Another mistake is producing them to look like cigarettes because that automatically makes us look like any other smoker. My PV doesn’t look anything like a cigarette....

I think most of us in this forum understand that PV’s are a godsend and we certainly can’t trust the government or the media to help us. The more public we are the better.

Great points!

Do NOT call them eCigarettes!

I also agree that, while in it's infancy stage, having PV's look like typical cigs made sense, they also have a negative connotation in the publics mind.

It's similar to the fact that when I started to vap, I purchased Marlban, or other tobacco flavored juice, wanting to reproduce the taste of my analog cigarette. Now... the LAST thing I want to do is reproduce it's taste... it tastes NASTY! I was NOT smoking because it tasted "good"...

Now, today... I'm vaping "Green Apple" from Backwoods Brew, and eJoker.

By the way... I usually tell strangers, if they ask (and it's very infrequent), that "it's a personal vaporizer, which I require to remedy a life threatening physical condition"... they generally walk away with a quizical look on their face, after that! (not really far from the truth!)

Thanks for your post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread