Please help with my cartos:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggypinggy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi guys, I am using Carto tank and cartomizers from Big Daddy..
I am 100% sure I did everything right to fill a tank (I have been using the big daddy filling tool to fill my tanks)
Sometimes my cartomizers work fine, but sometimes I still have two problems...
1. juice come out through the drip tip after I vaped few minutes
2. There is heavy burning taste in my cartomizer, I am 100% I did everything right
First, I drop about 20-30 drops of juice into the cartomizer and shake it very very well
THen, I use my filling tool to fill the juice, but it still tastes like burning..

It really confuses me... I have already tried like ten cartomizers, about three of them failed....
Can anyone help me please :(?

Sorry if my English isnt pefect^_^

edit: I am using 80%PG 20% VG juice, with one hole on the cartomizer (I bought it pre punched)
I am running it on a Provari, the cartomizer is 1.5 ohm

Last edited:

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
With 80/20 juice it should be easy to prime the cartomizer. You add until it looks "slushy" on top. When doing the drops are you waiting for them to absorb properly? If you're getting juice when you hit then there's too much juice in the cartomizer, you over filled it. You can take a paper towel and twist the end, dip it in the end of the cartomizer to absorb that excess juice out. The technique of hitting a cartomizer is to take slow long hits like through a straw on a milkshake (Baditude's analogy). The burnt taste occurs when not enough juice has primed the cartomizer so you want to be sure to look for that "slushy" effect on top. Remember not to hurry the process, the cartomizer can only absorb so fast and once you burn one it'll taste burnt forever.

mh37

Apr 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Sometimes it can just be a bad batch of cartos an not your fault,other causes not waiting long enough for the carto to be totally saturated,vaping to high a v/w for the resistance of the carto sucking to hard can also get liquid in your mouth by not giving it chance to heat,try long slow draws not fast or sharp,its just a process of elimination if you do all things correctly then its a bad carto!

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
With 80/20 juice it should be easy to prime the cartomizer. You add until it looks "slushy" on top. When doing the drops are you waiting for them to absorb properly? If you're getting juice when you hit then there's too much juice in the cartomizer, you over filled it. You can take a paper towel and twist the end, dip it in the end of the cartomizer to absorb that excess juice out. The technique of hitting a cartomizer is to take slow long hits like through a straw on a milkshake (Baditude's analogy). The burnt taste occurs when not enough juice has primed the cartomizer so you want to be sure to look for that "slushy" effect on top. Remember not to hurry the process, the cartomizer can only absorb so fast and once you burn one it'll taste burnt forever.

Try doing what I did and stop counting the drops. For an XL carto, 20-30 drops isn't anywhere near enough. Drip into the polyfill, rotating the carto like a Gatling gun with each drop. Give each drop a second to soak in. Then flick it HARD (I mean, seriously hard). Continue this process until you see liquid come out of the hole at the base of the carto, above the flanges.

I also suggest changing your PG/VG ratio to 50/50 pg/vg or 60/40 pg/vg. 80/20 pg/vg is too watery for a carto and could flood very easily.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

I agree with all of the above comments. Tasting or getting juice through the drip tip (mouthpiece) means the carto is flooded, or at least there is juice in the air chamber. Read the suggestions in the above link. I place a tooth pick in the air chamber to block juice from getting in there when I fill the carto. If you get juice in the air chamber you must blow it out with your mouth (yuck! use a tooth pick).

Burnt taste can be from several things. Not adequately filling or priming the carto before putting it into the tank. A 35mm carto (standard length) will accept 1 ml of juice. A 45mm carto (XL length) will accept 1.6 ml of juice. I also do not count drops - different size droppers make different size drops. I add juice until the wick looks like a slushy drink...glistening but not pooling on top.

The flicking of the carto is like when your mother was flicking an old-school mercury thermometer before she took your temperature. Hold the carto from the top, and flick it forcefully toward the ground (without letting go of the carto). This acts like a centrifuge, forcing the liquid toward the connector end of the carto. Keep adding liquid and flicking the carto until you see that slushy drink appearance.

Are you using single coil or dual coil cartos? My experience is that dual coils will begin to taste burnt a day or two after a tank setup. This is likely because the top coil is burning the wick. IMHO this is a design flaw of dual coils. The bottom hole(s) in a carto will not keep the upper wick wet with juice in a dual coil carto. Switch to single coil carts and my guess is that burnt taste will disappear.

Duel Coil Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg dual coil carto

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg single coil carto

Like any juice delivery device, they work best when you take long, gentle draws; not hard short puffs.

Inadequate juice flow (poor wicking) can cause dry and burnt hits. A single small hole may not be adequate in a carto. I use cartos with two laser-drilled holes for all of my e-liquids.

Occassionally you get a bad batch of cartos. These are produced by the millions in China and there's no way for adequate quality control. Everyone gets a few bad cartos or a bad batch at some point in time.

Low resistance cartos on a regulated mod requires lower voltage setting. The Provari works best when high resistance (3 ohm single coils) cartos are used. Whatever ohm the carto is, add the number "2" and use that setting for the voltage. (example: 3.0 ohm carto + 2 = 5 volts) Adjust higher or lower in increments to your taste. (Personally, I only run my 3.0 ohm cartos around 3.8 - 4.4 volts)

Last edited:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

I agree with all of the above comments. Tasting or getting juice through the drip tip (mouthpiece) means the carto is flooded, or at least there is juice in the air chamber. Read the suggestions in the above link. I place a tooth pick in the air chamber to block juice from getting in there when I fill the carto. If you get juice in the air chamber you must blow it out with your mouth (yuck! use a tooth pick).

Burnt taste can be from several things. Not adequately filling or priming the carto before putting it into the tank. A 35mm carto (standard length) will accept 1 ml of juice. A 45mm carto (XL length) will accept 1.6 ml of juice. I also do not count drops - different size droppers make different size drops. I add juice until the wick looks like a slushy drink...glistening but not pooling on top.

The flicking of the carto is like when your mother was flicking an old-school mercury thermometer before she took your temperature. Hold the carto from the top, and flick it forcefully toward the ground (without letting go of the carto). This acts like a centrifuge, forcing the liquid toward the connector end of the carto. Keep adding liquid and flicking the carto until you see that slushy drink appearance.

Are you using single coil or dual coil cartos? My experience is that dual coils will begin to taste burnt a day or two after a tank setup. This is likely because the top coil is burning the wick. IMHO this is a design flaw of dual coils. The bottom hole(s) in a carto will not keep the upper wick wet with juice in a dual coil carto. Switch to single coil carts and my guess is that burnt taste will disappear.

View attachment 328464 dual coil carto

View attachment 328465 single coil carto

Like any juice delivery device, they work best when you take long, gentle draws; not hard short puffs.

Inadequate juice flow (poor wicking) can cause dry and burnt hits. A single small hole may not be adequate in a carto. I use cartos with two laser-drilled holes for all of my e-liquids.

Occassionally you get a bad batch of cartos. These are produced by the millions in China and there's no way for adequate quality control. Everyone gets a few bad cartos or a bad batch at some point in time.

Hah! Thank you, Bad, for including the description on proper flicking. I reread my post and can picture someone literally flicking their carto until their fingernail hurt.

He's right, flick it up and down like an old school baby thermometer.

:)

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I agree with everything already said. I found with my vaping style that even the 2 pre-punched holes were not enough. I use 60/40 juice and vape about 6 mil per day. I have to open the 2 holes a little bit with a carto punch...then it's perfect for me. With carto tanks you may have to experiment with different setups to find what works for you. I burned thru a couple of cartos until I found my sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread