Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Thank you every one. This community is great. This thing is vaping like a charm now, and while it was a very messy experience, I feel that I'll get better as I do it. I really appreciate everyone's help.

I knew you would figure it out ... IBTanked provides me my perfect trouble free vape.

Arch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
United States
casaa.org
I think my issue is that my juice is too thick. I primed the carto extremely well, even to the point of light flooding but after about 15 or so drags, I notice the top of my carto is white again like the juice isn't going into the holes. I think that's where my problem lies. I just got a slight burnt taste and had to re-wick the top until it lightly flooded again, then I re-vaped another 15-20 times and it's back to being white again.

I guess 'Nana Cream does not agree with carto tanks.

violetdream

Dec 22, 2012
Michigan
I just started with tanks, and my word, what an awesome difference!! Too much VG can also cause some issues, so I wanted to throw that out there. Also, when I prime mine, I shake it like a glass thermometer, and look down the tube to make sure there's no juice blocking it...I also blow some to double check.

It's certainly a learning curve, and can be messy at first, but so worth it!

AmandaD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2013
So Cal
I think my issue is that my juice is too thick. I primed the carto extremely well, even to the point of light flooding but after about 15 or so drags, I notice the top of my carto is white again like the juice isn't going into the holes. I think that's where my problem lies. I just got a slight burnt taste and had to re-wick the top until it lightly flooded again, then I re-vaped another 15-20 times and it's back to being white again.

I guess 'Nana Cream does not agree with carto tanks.

Is it 100% vg? If not, then it's probably a priming issue - hate to say it, but you may want to take the carto out, read Baditudes's blog, and prime it again. A well primed carto will last for weeks, so it's worth getting it right. After the first couple it'll be easy to do!

Arch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
United States
casaa.org
Is it 100% vg? If not, then it's probably a priming issue - hate to say it, but you may want to take the carto out, read Baditudes's blog, and prime it again. A well primed carto will last for weeks, so it's worth getting it right. After the first couple it'll be easy to do!

I'm not sure what the VG/PG ratio is, it doesn't say on the site. However, I did read Baditude's guide several times all the way through, and followed the guide when I got it working this time around. The liquid just isn't getting in the holes, so I imagine it's due to the VG ratio being too high and too thick. It's a really thick juice. Either way, I don't have the patience to clean it, get yet another carto out and re-try with a thinner liquid today. I'll save it for a day full of boredom that needs curing.

Again, thank you every one in this thread for the help, it means a lot and I'm sorry if me being frustrated hid any of the gratitude I have.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
...I notice the top of my carto is white again like the juice isn't going into the holes....
See, this is where my "newness" to cartotanks comes in.
I thought the very top of the carto being white, no liquid, was expected after some use. Isn't it?
Mine are the same, it's just the very top, initially I saw this on mine and just a couple of drops and it was saturated again.

I leave it as is now, no change in performance, no dry hits......

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I thought the very top of the carto being white, no liquid, was expected after some use. Isn't it?
    Mine are the same, it's just the very top, initially I saw this on mine and just a couple of drops and it was saturated again.

Correct, OTD. Even some Boges aren't full of filler because the top isn't used in a tank.

Arch

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2014
    United States
    casaa.org

I thought so too, but the more I vaped it, the more I could clearly see that it wasn't just the top turning white, it was turning white from the bottom up. Eventually I started getting a harsher throat hit and just after that, a little burnt taste so I stopped and re-primed/lightly flooded it and the issue persisted a total of 4 more times before I got tired of the messy flooding/re-priming. My carto-tank is in timeout right now until I get the patience to fiddle with it again.

AmandaD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 9, 2013
    So Cal
    I thought so too, but the more I vaped it, the more I could clearly see that it wasn't just the top turning white, it was turning white from the bottom up. Eventually I started getting a harsher throat hit and just after that, a little burnt taste so I stopped and re-primed/lightly flooded it and the issue persisted a total of 4 more times before I got tired of the messy flooding/re-priming. My carto-tank is in timeout right now until I get the patience to fiddle with it again.

I'm confused - how can you see the filler in your carto to see that it's turning white from the bottom up??? Also, it's always possible you have a bad carto....did you try it with a different one?

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Clemson Tigers State
    No one knows less the I do about carto tanks and cartos. That was the reason I went with IB Tanked after reading http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3318-3-ibtanked-pyrex-glass-tanks-review.html

I do feel the flanged cartos are easier to use and I use the Thingy and their inexpensive Handy drip refilling tip. Sure I made a mess but it was my mistake. After a few times even for me it's a breeze. You bought one of the best tanks on the market. I read so many horror stories about cheap tanks just to say a few bucks.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

Well, now you've found that you need more hole/bigger holes to feed it. You can punch your own holes, or try the new slotted boge.

All this is common with thick eliquids- don't give up. And if you use Boges- allow to soak in well- like overnite.

Arch

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2014
    United States
    casaa.org
    Well, now you've found that you need more hole/bigger holes to feed it. You can punch your own holes, or try the new slotted boge.

All this is common with thick eliquids- don't give up. And if you use Boges- allow to soak in well- like overnite.

The new slotted boge you say? Sounds intriging. It's unfortunate I bought so many cartos that are like this one though, I definitely should have listened when I was told to buy a few of them to make sure I liked them before hand. It just never crossed my mind that a high VG juice would have any issues. Another vaper without self control regret, sigh.

Arch

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2014
    United States
    casaa.org

Boge 510 SR Stainless (Laser Slotted) - (5pack)

I found these, but they don't have a flange which would be a big problem for me. I did run into annoyances outside of the priming which were that the tank slides off the carto extremely easy, especially if I take out my drip tip it already starts to pull out. It's something I have to be very careful of. As well, when I screw my tank + carto onto the top of my Provari using the IBTanked Provari Pro Ring, it pops out the locking part of the carto going into the tank, so taking off the drip tip can really pull it off quite a bit and make a bit of a mess.

Overall, my first impression is that using Carto Tanks is a very messy process. You'd need quite a few paper towels for it which is something I'm really against. I know people love them, and trust me, when I had the thing working for a good 20 minutes flawlessly, it was absolutely amazing. The vape was perfect, but then bam it went right back to being a nuisance.

Maybe when I get this all down pact, get better cartos or use a thinner juice, I'll have a little bit of a better time with it but as of right now, ah. I just don't even want to look at the dang thing in my cabinet.

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Priming CAN be a hassle, but it can also go just smooth and trouble-free...
    MOST of the time, I don't make a mess anymore but every once in a while, I have a challenge (like with a tank that won't fit in my Thingy).
    Yes, I use the Thingy usually, and it usually works well...

The top of my carts OFTEN stay white, even while the carto is wicking and vaping just as it should. The juice, after all is reaching the coil from the bottom...

But if you're getting dry hits, then it's not getting juice in - and there are a couple things I haven't seen asked:

1 - Are you using cartos you got from IBTanked, or some other source?
    2 - When you slide the carto into the tank - IS IT TIGHT? It SHOULD be. If somehow you got a thin carto, or a bad o-ring, and the tank isn't holding a bit of a vacuum, then the whole process of wicking up into the carto won't work properly. This is why cheap tanks suck (or don't suck properly?).
    3 - it COULD be a thick juice in a small hole issue. You could try a thinner juice, and if that works great, then at least you know the issue and can plan to get a carto with bigger or more holes next time
    4 - in the meantime, when I've been stuck with a slow-wicking carto - thick juice and small holes - I've managed to keep it vaping by taking a small "priming draw" - suck without firing for a moment - before each vape. It's a little annoyance, but not too bad if it gets you through the tank without burning...

Arch

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 18, 2014
    United States
    casaa.org
    Priming CAN be a hassle, but it can also go just smooth and trouble-free...
    MOST of the time, I don't make a mess anymore but every once in a while, I have a challenge (like with a tank that won't fit in my Thingy).
    Yes, I use the Thingy usually, and it usually works well...

The top of my carts OFTEN stay white, even while the carto is wicking and vaping just as it should. The juice, after all is reaching the coil from the bottom...

But if you're getting dry hits, then it's not getting juice in - and there are a couple things I haven't seen asked:

1 - Are you using cartos you got from IBTanked, or some other source?
    2 - When you slide the carto into the tank - IS IT TIGHT? It SHOULD be. If somehow you got a thin carto, or a bad o-ring, and the tank isn't holding a bit of a vacuum, then the whole process of wicking up into the carto won't work properly. This is why cheap tanks suck (or don't suck properly?).
    3 - it COULD be a thick juice in a small hole issue. You could try a thinner juice, and if that works great, then at least you know the issue and can plan to get a carto with bigger or more holes next time
    4 - in the meantime, when I've been stuck with a slow-wicking carto - thick juice and small holes - I've managed to keep it vaping by taking a small "priming draw" - suck without firing for a moment - before each vape. It's a little annoyance, but not too bad if it gets you through the tank without burning...

1. Yes, I'm using the Smok 3.0ohm flanged pre-punched single coil cartomizers from IBTanked.
    2. When I slide it into the tank, it sort of...snaps in when I fully push it up to the top as if it's locking itself in. However, when I screw it onto my Provari with the pro ring that came with it is attached (the one from IBTanked), after screwing it down, I notice it's like..unlocked sort of when I take it back off. Not fully, but about 1/6th of an inch or something.
    3. I think this is the case. I'm looking at the laser slotted ones which I think would be absolutely perfect, however i can't find any with the flange and that's a big must for me. When there's no locking feature/flange, it's pretty easy to slide it right through and I foresee there being issues with that.
    4. Eh, I tried that but I never saw any bubbles implying it was wicking. Not one bubble was ever seen so I'm pretty positive it is the juice I was using. It only works when I screw/unscrew the top of the Thingy when the tank is inside of it. That works perfectly and it primes my carto extremely nicely, then I'm able to flawlessly vape for a good 20-30 drags before the carto dries back out and I get a light burnt hit, then I do it again. That's how I combatted it last night to finish the tank off. After that I just poured the rest back in the bottle and put the tank away after I cleaned in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread