Please Manufacture A Lightweight Low Profile Squonker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sounds good. Every vaper should have a Dremel...:thumb:
Won't see mine for awhile. Ordered from FT, on sale for $34 mod only.

I hear you.

Be it taking the Sharp Edges off an rda deck, or Shortening a Post Screw, or Enlarging a Drip Tip id bore, a Dremel is a Go-To Tool.

---

$34 is a Great Price. Which door panel Style do you go with?

• Agree
Reactions: puffon

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just an Update:

After using my Surface for a Couple of days, I'm liking it even More. But the Squonking window in the Door has become a PITA.

It's just Too Small. And I'm just not getting a Reliable Squonk. Either Too Much or Too Little. Usually Too Little. So today I got out the Dremel and Widened it by about .300".

I used a the Tapered Burr Bit like the one shown in this set...

619iLhw2gvL._SL1000_.jpg

The Change is like Night and Day. Now I can Actual Feel the Bottle. And my Squonks are Consistent again.

ETA: Forgot to Mention that FT has Replacement Doors for the Surface 80w.

$3.77 Authentic Wismec Replacement Panel for Luxotic Surface Mod at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

So if one got a Little Crazy with their Dremel, or if they wanted a Different pattern, replacement doors are available.

Reactions: puffon

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Just an Update:

After using my Surface for a Couple of days, I'm liking it even More. But the Squonking window in the Door has become a PITA.

It's just Too Small. And I'm just not getting a Reliable Squonk. Either Too Much or Too Little. Usually Too Little. So today I got out the Dremel and Widened it by about .300".

I used a the Tapered Burr Bit like the one shown in this set...

619iLhw2gvL._SL1000_.jpg

The Change is like Night and Day. Now I can Actual Feel the Bottle. And my Squonks are Consistent again.

Interesting modification -- is there a color difference in the cut area? I'm tempted to do the same since the squonk hole size is just a tad too small for me as well.

Everything else about the mod has been great. It even is putting in a very respectable showing with regard to TC, which is the first time that's happened for me with a Wismec/joyetech device that was not running Arctic Fox firmware. It's using the same board as the Joytech Ultex T80. Hopefully Wismec/Joyetech will be using that in other mods as well.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
The "basketball theme"
Was hoping they would come out with some more subtle choices.

It's actually not bad. Well, at least not as bad as I thought it would be. It blends in well with the matte black frame. The cover plate would look better if it had a matte finish as well rather than the gloss, but of the options presently available, it's the closest to "subtle."

bball.jpg

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Interesting modification -- is there a color difference in the cut area? I'm tempted to do the same since the squonk hole size is just a tad too small for me as well.

No Colour difference whatsoever.

The Burr Bit at the Lowest dremel speed takes the Door Material off like butter. And actual leaves a Pretty Smooth finish. (Depending on how Steady your hand is.)

The Only thing you need to do is After you have taken away the Black Plastic material, is Gently drag a Razor/Exacto Knife along where the Graphic Sticker meets the New Edge you have made. And knock off any Melted Plastic on the Backside on the Checkerboard Ribs.

I thought about Peeling Off the Graphic Sticker before I opened up the Squonk Window. But thought I might as well try it with it on.

I'm glad I left the Sticker on. Because it Doesn't look bad at all.

Reactions: hazozita

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's actually not bad. Well, at least not as bad as I thought it would be. It blends in well with the matte black frame. The cover plate would look better if it had a matte finish as well rather than the gloss, but of the options presently available, it's the closest to "subtle."

BTW - Do you have much Door Rattle on Yours?

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
BTW - Do you have much Door Rattle on Yours?

Thanks for the info on the door modification. Going to have to find some time soon to try it.

In terms of door rattle, absolutely none provided it gets seated properly. Unlike the Luxotic door which can just be slapped on, the Surface door needs a wee bit of finagling to seat. Once seated I can push on it any which way without a rattle, rock, or any movement.

The plate on the bottom has some wriggle to it but it's only noticeable if I try to move it back and forth with my finger. Under normal use there's no rattle.

I'm pretty impressed with the fit and finish given the price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread