Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Sorry, minor rant but this is a pet peeve of mine and I'm seeing it more and more often now!
There is already enough confusion trying to understand the terminology and wordage with vaping, we don't need to add to it when helping new members out! So PRETTY PLEASE, know that it's "OHM'S LAW" not "WATT'S LAW" when trying to explain how voltage, wattage and amperage work together! It's an Ohm's law calculator, it's an Ohm's law app, etc., Watts is just a side effect!
Ohm's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So please, in the future can we avoid adding to the already dizzying array of confusion?
Thank you, rant over.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
This topic was discussed at great length previously with no concrete resolution. Correct terminology is important, but so is getting the basic info across without nitpicking. I don't think that re-opening this can of worms is going to help anyone especially the new users who really need the information.

Don't forget about Watts Law

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I like to call it infusion
HERETIC!!!
nQV6Fht.jpg

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Ohms Law V=IR

Watts Law P=VI

Combined..
P=V•V/R
P=I•I•R = To compute work energy in a circuit.
Confusing? Yes, most wortwhile things are at first bloom..
P=VI is just rearranging Ohm's law to find wattage, as it was designed to do.
In fact, to go to the roots of of it it's a triangle that can calculate three forms of an electrical circuit, Volts, watts and amps,
E
IxR
Was how it was originally presented. So no, there is no Watt's law, it's calculating wattage using Ohm's law. There is no amp's law, it's calculating amperage using Ohm's law.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Ohms Law V=IR

Watts Law P=VI

The main issue is that we use a different formula for mech mods and another formula for regulated mods. How do we keep them straight?

How many times has a noob (not meant to be derogatory) on ECF used the V= IR equation for a regulated mod? Everyone tells folks to use Ohm's Law, but when they research it seems the only formula they find is the V = IR.

dcp23.gif

IMHO, we need to name one Ohm's Law (for mechs) and the other Watt's Law (for regulated) to keep it simpler for noobs. Yeah, it may not be technically correct, but for vapers not necessarily educated in Ohm's Law principles that's beside the point.

Sorry to disagree with you Sawlight. :( My :2c:

Ohm's Law Explained for Vapers
  • My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in simple layman terms and how it relates to vaping.

Last edited:

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
James Watt increased the efficiency of the Steam engine by using a seperate condenser.
Watts Law was used to compute energy needed to make a given volume of water boil. Late 18th century, would evolve into The Law of Thermodynamics.
In the early 20th century mankind discovered a negatively charged electrons, giving new insight into the phenomenon of electricity.
Watts were used to measure efficiency of circuits//or dissipation of heat.
Matter cannot be created nor destroyed.
A well trained engineer (all of them!) can easily compare an IC engine to an electrical motor, in watts//efficiency.
Watts, a contrived appendage of ohms law?
Poppycock..

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas

The main issue is that we use a different formula for mech mods and another formula for regulated mods. How do we keep them straight?

How many times has a noob (not meant to be derogatory) used the V= IR equation for a regulated mod?

dcp23.gif

IMHO, we need to name one Ohm's Law (for mechs) and the other Watt's Law (for regulated) to keep it simpler for noobs. Yeah, it may not be technically correct, but for vapers not necessarily educated in Ohm's Law principles that's beside the point.

• My attempt at explaining Ohm's Law in simple layman terms and how it relates to vaping.
While I see your point, and to help explain the confusion that comes with that logic to @daviedog and others, this is what you get when searching for "Watts law".
watts law
All roads lead back to Ohm's law calculations, so someone new to this is going to be very confused about what someone is referring to!
Yes @daviedog wattage is very real and a very useful means of measurement, same as joueles in many circles. But Georg Ohm was the one that figured out how resistance, voltage and amperage all correlate with each other.

Reactions: Bea-FL

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
There is not Watt's law. Period.
Yes, there is a formula for calculating watts, but it is based on Ohm's law.
Let's do not multiply laws just to show how clever we are.

If you refuse to use Ohm's Law, you run the risk of using Murphy's Law.

That is all...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
My point X2, it DOESN'T EXIST! It's utilizing another mathematical equation to achieve the desired results, but it's not a function in and of itself!

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I really don't see how this is a can of worms when people are advocating a "law" that doesn't even exist? It's very simple, if you want to vape, and do so safely, you need to have a basic understanding of Ohm's law, and how to utilize it to figure your needs, be that amps or watts. But to try and call it anything else, for simplistic state, or otherwise, is simply adding confusion and complicating things more than needed.

Reactions: Bea-FL

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there

How many times has a noob (not meant to be derogatory) on ECF used the V= IR equation for a regulated mod? Everyone tells folks to use Ohm's Law, but when they research it seems the only formula they find is the V = IR.

dcp23.gif

I like to think of it as chasing trons, those bouncy little charges that give us so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread