Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Ok, with my first build I used a center build allowing the neg post air holes to function. Of course, this ended up being a point of leakage. In order to try and alleviate the leakage, I overstuffed the well with rayon.

Heard someone mention that they were going to do an off-center build to be able to block those air holes with the sleeve so I thought, I'll give that a try as well.

I got feedback from Jeremy on my previous build that I should thin out the tails. Because of the center build and leakage, this was not possible. However, I decided to give his idea a go with this build as it would now be possible with the side air holes blocked off.

Last night, I decided that my coils had dropped off enough in performance to require a rebuild and here are my results.

26g 4/5 wrap on 2mm mandrel.

pv21.jpg

Using rayon for wicking material. This is about 2/3 of the strip that comes out of the box from Sally's.

pv22.jpg

pv23.jpg

pv24.jpg

pv25.jpg

pv26.jpg

pv27.jpg

pv28.jpg

Must've inadvertently deleted the image from the opposite side of the previous image.

pv29.jpg

pv210.jpg

pv211.jpg

pv212.jpg

pv213.jpg

pv214.jpg

pv215.jpg

pv216.jpg

pv218.jpg

pv219.jpg

Although it was performing well, after about 2ml of juice I wasn't happy with the looks of the wicks. This was after running it dry and right before a re-drip.

pv220.jpg

pv221.jpg

So I trimmed 'em up a little by the coils.

pv222.jpg

pv223.jpg

Resaturated 'em.

pv224.jpg

pv225.jpg

And finally, here's a couple of images showing where the side air holes in the sleeve are no longer in a position to cause leakage.

pv226.jpg

pv227.jpg

Overall, I'm very satisfied with this build. It's wicking exceptionally well and doesn't leak.

Granted, with the juice well being rather small and the cyclops air holes so close to the top edge of the deck, it will leak if filled to the brim and tilted more than, say, 30 degrees.

Nonetheless, this configuration is working quite well for me and thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
You could also simply flip the airflow section over so the small holes are at the top and are blocked off by the top cap piece. I've seen people rocking it that way but personally I've yet to have mine leak out of the negative post holes and I can put 10-12 drops in there, juice will be visibly over top of the holes but refuses to leak out through them, weird...maybe it's due to me usually using thick VG heavy juices? Dumb luck?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
i mentioned to someone in a plumeveil thread to try putting the coils next to the neg posts to block off the postholes :) i've since got my PVeil's, i love the double holled center post, its a winner over the tobhs but tobhs topcap on the PVeil is also a big winner for me:) i didnt get any advantage with the original topcap.

The only time ive had juice leak from the neg post holes is when ive wiped the outside of the atty, the motion of wiping across the hole draws out liquid,
i can drip about 6 drops and vape it off straight away and get no leaks, with the tobh topcap being snug fit it makes it easy to redrip straight onto the wicks.
And obviously blowing into the DT is a nono while using the neg posts airhole's :D

Also.. if anyone is interested you can replace your topcap with these they sell at FT https://www.fasttech.com/products/1834101

Last edited:

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
You could also simply flip the airflow section over so the small holes are at the top and are blocked off by the top cap piece. I've seen people rocking it that way but personally I've yet to have mine leak out of the negative post holes and I can put 10-12 drops in there, juice will be visibly over top of the holes but refuses to leak out through them, weird...maybe it's due to me usually using thick VG heavy juices? Dumb luck?

Not sure why yours doesn't leak at the neg post holes. Mine's authentic.

Anyway, the night before last, I did flip my sleeve over as someone had suggested and it did exactly what I wanted it to. Unforutnately, with my OCD the way it is, I just couldn't stand it. This method took care of both issues for me.

The only time ive had juice leak from the neg post holes is when ive wiped the outside of the atty, the motion of wiping across the hole draws out liquid,
i can drip about 6 drops and vape it off straight away and get no leaks, with the tobh topcap being snug fit it makes it easy to redrip straight onto the wicks.

Perhaps that was my problem as well but I don't want to walk around with a wipe wrag when vaping.

With this current setup I am dripping 12 drops (glass dripper) to 16 drops (needle bottle) and it's not leaking.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Nice write up, thanks for all the pictures, that helps so much... I only just got mine, so far I like it a lot.... its a monster cloud blower to me (ymmv) and flavor is good, not life changing, but I still dont completely understand the concept of the top air flow design by twisting the drip tip thing.... It changes the vape and gives more air, but I feel it takes away flavor..........

Also.. if anyone is interested you can replace your topcap with these they sell at FT https://www.fasttech.com/products/1834101

Do these still screw in and out on the plume veil? Looks like they are long enough to use as a drip tip? or am I missing something....

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Nice write up, thanks for all the pictures, that helps so much... I only just got mine, so far I like it a lot.... its a monster cloud blower to me (ymmv) and flavor is good, not life changing, but I still dont completely understand the concept of the top air flow design by twisting the drip tip thing.... It changes the vape and gives more air, but I feel it takes away flavor..........

That's the trade off. You want clouds? Get the maximum airflow. You want more flavor? Close it down a bit.

That top cap is brilliant IMO. One can change their vape experience (flavor/clouds) just by adjusting the air flow into the top cap.

Kendogalopigus

Jul 22, 2014
Manteca, CA, USA
anyone know a reputable shop (preferable in the USA) where i can buy a 22mm black plume veil, been wanting a black atty to go with my black stingray x clone, got a brass stillare on it cause its the only atty i have and it looks funny lol, i was thinking of ordering it from eciggity.com its one that vaping with twisted420 mentions a lot .... they don't say what the diameter is.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω

Do these still screw in and out on the plume veil? Looks like they are long enough to use as a drip tip? or am I missing something....

nah mate it will replace the plumeveil topcap and has a DT built into it which looks to be pretty big which is good, G-weezy posted the same sort of thing in a thread recently but i couldnt find the link for you, she also showed it on the plumeveil, looks nice :D

Hey Jaxgator, i span my collar over on the PVeil and used the 3 holes over each coil instead, it vapes really nice this way, its giving me that nice warm rolling feeling over the tongue :)

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hey Jaxgator, i span my collar over on the PVeil and used the 3 holes over each coil instead, it vapes really nice this way, its giving me that nice warm rolling feeling over the tongue :)

I'm not sure I understand what you are sappy SLIPPY. Do you block off the cyclops holes with the top cap or do you use some other top cap that allows airflow from all holes?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I'm not sure I understand what you are sappy SLIPPY. Do you block off the cyclops holes with the top cap or do you use some other top cap that allows airflow from all holes?

its Zappy.

yeah i been saying all along i use my tobh top cap with the plumeveil base and collar :) untill i get my caps that are the same as g-weezy posted pics of, im running the PVeil with the cyclops and the holes all fully open, itsa niCe! :D

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Hey David, put a build on the pv last night. A lot going on with this design.

For my first build I Tried an offset center post build to take full advantage of the bottom air. And direct it toward the coil... Only problem when I drip in the drip tip end it falls on the center post and goes right down the negative air holes.. Are the original holes that low? There's not really a drip well on this only the wick capacity I guess. I see why you used a full wick, to hold juice.

Does the original have a stop on the deck?

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
My Neg Post holes are also low, i use them, i dont get any problems with juice trying to leak but if you look at my picture i pull all the of the wick's legs away from the holes and lay it all up as far away and underneath the coil, but also i use a tobh topcap which is a little looser and i drip between coil and outer edge

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Hey David, put a build on the pv last night. A lot going on with this design.

http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz93/jeremy421/Mobile%20Uploads/C927ECA6-F067-4381-B2A2-26381B4B301A.jpg[/ IMG]

[IMG]http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz93/jeremy421/Mobile%20Uploads/AFF43B29-EF9B-4401-A972-DDB898814FC1.jpg[/ IMG]

For my first build I Tried an offset center post build to take full advantage of the bottom air. And direct it toward the coil... Only problem when I drip in the drip tip end it falls on the center post and goes right down the negative air holes.. Are the original holes that low? There's not really a drip well on this only the wick capacity I guess. I see why you used a full wick, to hold juice.

Does the original have a stop on the deck?[/QUOTE]

Yeah Jeremy, the original's neg post air holes are lined up with the bottom of the deck. Pretty much like a boat's drain plug. That was the reason for my off center build in this thread - to block those air holes with the sleeve. And yeah, the deck is pretty shallow on this atty and I have rewicked this build with additional rayon similar to my first build. Only I trimmed the outside edges at an angle, sort of matching the curve of the deck.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about [i]"a stop on the deck"[/i].

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Meaning the atty sits high on my zmax and the sleeve is easily pushed down throwing off the alignment. In other word you could push the deck right up and out the top.

Oh, that. No, the original does not have a stop. I have mine on a Stingray that has a floating posi pin and it sits flush so the top of my mod stops the sleeve. This atty has the longest 510 connection of any of my atty's be they RDAs or RTAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread