Status
Not open for further replies.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Pods are here to stay.

Nano-mods, flash drives, fidgets, carpenter pencils, zippo lighters and AA battery sized devices have reached a level nobody dared dream of ten years ago.

It's an invasion not unlike compact cars were in the 1970's. Many Americans back then said "you'll never catch me in one of those rice mobiles". Yeah, right, uh huh.

A year ago at my big construction site the big thing was 2x18650 devices and the workers bragged about how many mils a day they'd vape like that was a good thing. "Click" "thwwwwwwwwww" "pwaaaaaah" as a giant plume of vape caused them to disappear and other workers running for a fire extinguisher thinking something had caught fire...

A year later...pod users, everyone of them. No more "don't those things explode?", No more "dude seriously" as everybody huddled in the smoking area is inundated by a cloud of berry smell, no more "huh huh, I chucked 30 mils yesterday".

Not saying one is better than the other no more than skateboarding is better than bmx. Just saying that pods are here to stay and are a valid resource for smoking cessation.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Pods are here to stay.

Nano-mods, flash drives, fidgets, carpenter pencils, zippo lighters and AA battery sized devices have reached a level nobody dared dream of ten years ago.

It's an invasion not unlike compact cars were in the 1970's. Many Americans back then said "you'll never catch me in one of those rice mobiles". Yeah, right, uh huh.

A year ago at my big construction site the big thing was 2x18650 devices and the workers bragged about how many mils a day they'd vape like that was a good thing. "Click" "thwwwwwwwwww" "pwaaaaaah" as a giant plume of vape caused them to disappear and other workers running for a fire extinguisher thinking something had caught fire...

A year later...pod users, everyone of them. No more "don't those things explode?", No more "dude seriously" as everybody huddled in the smoking area is inundated by a cloud of berry smell, no more "huh huh, I chucked 30 mils yesterday".

Not saying one is better than the other no more than skateboarding is better than bmx. Just saying that pods are here to stay and are a valid resource for smoking cessation.
It’s not about the size of the device, it’s about the interoperability and proprietary nature of the device. Disposable pods literally ARE cartos from 2010. It’s the juice that’s different, not how they work. They’re even worse than that, none of them fit each other. VHS didn’t beat Betamax because it was better. It beat it because it wasn’t proprietary.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Pod mods, cigalikes... same sheet to me. ;)

nah... some of them are trying to replace the ego/ce4 type combo too.. I don't mind them being replaced/modernized..

lots of people at my husband's work are using various pods like that, very popular..

When I got the innokin gala pod he said yeah that's what everyone is using now. And granted he doesn't know brand, just shape... but this type of pod is the going/popular thing for the modern vaper.

In this I do think manufacturers are hitting the nail on the head.. most people like them better than larger devices, at least while working. Likely because its easier to stealth vape with them.. lol

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
VHS was not proprietary? Ok. Sony got their revenge with the compact disk that led to the dvd to the blu ray.

Actually it was marketing that caused the VHS to win like the Nintendo versus Sega. Try an X Box game in a Nintendo system sometime. And the ipod, the smartphone, the tablet, the Playstation, none of that caused Nintendo to go away.

And saying 2018/19 pods are no better than 2010 just better flavors is like saying the compact disc is no better than an audio cassette, just better music. Temp controls, refillable tanks, swappable coil packs, virtually leak free, pods that last for weeks instead of hours....

Sooner or later things will shake out like compact cars did by the 1980's. Sure, there'll be less than a million-billion choices as the market decides who wins and who don't. But if pods weren't here to stay there'd not be so many players in the game right now in this brave new world of vaping, which historically is still pretty new.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
nah... some of them are trying to replace the ego/ce4 type combo too.. I don't mind them being replaced/modernized..

lots of people at my husband's work are using various pods like that, very popular..

When I got the innokin gala pod he said yeah that's what everyone is using now. And granted he doesn't know brand, just shape... but this type of pod is the going/popular thing for the modern vaper.

In this I do think manufacturers are hitting the nail on the head.. most people like them better than larger devices, at least while working. Likely because its easier to stealth vape with them.. lol

Nah. I was just jokin'. You know me better than that. ;)

VHS was not proprietary? Ok. Sony got their revenge with the compact disk that led to the dvd to the blu ray.

Actually it was marketing that caused the VHS to win like the Nintendo versus Sega. Try an X Box game in a Nintendo system sometime.

And saying 2018/19 pods are no better than 2010 just better flavors is like saying the compact disc is no better than an audio cassette, just better music. Temp controls, refillable tanks, swappable coil packs, virtually leak free, pods that last for weeks instead of hours....

Sooner or later things will shake out like compact cars did by the 1980's. Sure, there'll be less than a million-billion choices as the market decides who wins and who don't. But if pods weren't here to stay there'd not be so many players in the game right now in this brave new world of vaping, which historically is still pretty new.

Again, joking.

The (far from impressive) Uwell Caliburn I sometimes (rarely) use is definitely better than the V2 Cigs I started with back in "Eleven". Not a lot better, but better, yes. They're my lowest preference though, and by a wide margin. I don't expect to be delving much more into the pod market from here, if at all.

This is just my opinion though, which is valuable to exactly one person on the planet, and even that isn't the case 100% of the time. :laugh:

Every once in awhile, I enjoy a vape or two from the thing. Like gas though, that passes. :blush:

Personal, 'tis.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Gawd! I am so sick of pod devices. A new one every frickin' day!
So, uhm, if you don't like pods, don't buy one.

I don't like multi-battery, lung-busting DL devices, but I don't complain that new ones are released all the time.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
reaching. The Betamax/VHS thing is well documented. How does Sony’s “revenge” have to do with anything? They over DRMed blu-Ray and it died. Or mostly died anyway
Actually it was marketing that caused the VHS to win like the Nintendo versus Sega.
again, documented. RCA owned VHS. They were more open about who could make VHS players so they were cheaper so they won.
Try an X Box game in a Nintendo system sometime. And the ipod, the smartphone, the tablet, the Playstation, none of that caused Nintendo to go away.
Nintendo didn’t GO away. You’ve perhaps heard of the switch?
And saying 2018/19 pods are no better than 2010 just better flavors is like saying the compact disc is no better than an audio cassette, just better music. Temp controls,
which they mostly don’t have
refillable tanks,
which many cartos had
swappable coil packs,
again, most don’t. They’re getting closer to tanks though aren’t they?
virtually leak free,
you’re kidding, right? They’re at best no better that way
pods that last for weeks instead of hours....
some of them do have bigger storage capacity. That’s one. More than a few don’t though
Sooner or later things will shake out like compact cars did by the 1980's. Sure, there'll be less than a million-billion choices as the market decides who wins and who don't. But if pods weren't here to stay there'd not be so many players in the game right now
that’s not how capitalism works
in this brave new world of vaping, which historically is still pretty new.
. That’s how capitalism works. Look at the American car industry in the 1930’s. How many manufacturers? What devices won that war? The ones you could buy and get parts for.

You seem to be trying to make this argument about disposable cigalike stuff and big puffer DL RTAs. That’s not what I’m talking about. The problem with pods is they’re mostly using old tech and nothing fits anything else.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not at all sure it will be the market that makes this decision. There was a court ruling recently that may well force the FDA to pull the PMTA deadline forward again. It could be as soon as this fall, or sometime in the first half of next year.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Folks can argue with me until they're blue in the face, but history will show...

Pods are here to stay.
Yep. I have no doubt that Juul will file a PMTA application on the day of the deadline, whenever that is. Whether any of the other manufacturers have the wherewithal to get that done and thus remain on the market is highly questionable.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Folks can argue with me until they're blue in the face, but history will show...

Pods are here to stay.
Vape Pod Systems

I'm not sure I agree with this, since they're already transitioning into little mods. That new Pissant thing (or whatever it's called) even has a RBA head. It's entirely possible that this could continue until they've gone full circle.

Prognosticating is a tough game. If you like something, vape it. If not, do not.

Options, we still have. How many, and for how long, is anyone's guess.

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA

Pods are here to stay.
Vape Pod Systems

People have said that about other devices that are now extinct.
People have also said some devices were a fad back in 2011 that have become very mainstream.

I personally have nothing against any device that helps someone stop inhaling burning leaf. If pod systems are the gateway device, so be it.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
So, uhm, if you don't like pods, don't buy one.

I don't like multi-battery, lung-busting DL devices, but I don't complain that new ones are released all the time.
A setup can be small, replaceable battery, and MTL without being a proprietary and short-lived.

Are there any pods that can make that claim?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Are all AIOs considered pods?
The terms are marketing based rather than fact based, but my impression was originally that a pod was a device where the tank and the atomizer was one replaceable piece. That’s been so badly broken in both directions though that the word has lost most of its meaning.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The terms are marketing based rather than fact based, but my impression was originally that a pod was a device where the tank and the atomizer was one replaceable piece. That’s been so badly broken in both directions though that the word has lost most of its meaning.
The vaping community is famous for butchering the meaning of words. This used to drive me crazy, but I've come to accept nonsense like referring to a regulator board (which is composed of multiple chips and other electronic components) as a "chip", and a mass-produced power source as a "mod", despite the fact that nothing has been modified at all. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread