Pod systems... ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Don't like pods because they discontinue, hard to find parts etc?

The juul has been around since June 1, 2015... so 4 years and counting. The pods are readily available even at convenience stores. The Suorin Air has been available for several years and the pods are widely available.

Now let's consider box mods. Where can I get a replacement battery door for a 2014 Innokin iTaste VTR box mod?? ;) Who is still using a 2014 Innokin iTaste VTR box mod?? :D

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
'Probably not. But let's face reality: Most people don't care about longevity. They want something that's as easy as opening a new pack of smokes and lighting one up, and they want the device to be inexpensive, even if the cost of the consumables ends up being much higher in the long run.[/QUOTE]

This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
Some people (and me) also love the novelty of new items and having new toys to play with. Even though our current ones are just fine as is. Personal shortcoming of mine, I suppose

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Some people (and me) also love the novelty of new items and having new toys to play with. Even though our current ones are just fine as is. Personal shortcoming of mine, I suppose
I think that sort of affliction actually helps with the psychology of overcoming a smoking habit. I certainly had it for a while. :)

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I think that sort of affliction actually helps with the psychology of overcoming a smoking habit. I certainly had it for a while. :)

Also, I think the fact that this is saving our lives and/or adding years to our lives and has so many more positive benefits over smoking, that it’s easy to justify spending money on new things. At least that’s how it is for me

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Also, I think the fact that this is saving our lives and/or adding years to our lives and has so many more positive benefits over smoking, that it’s easy to justify spending money on new things. At least that’s how it is for me
Then add in the fact that over the long term, it's nearly impossible to spend what one would have spent on cigs.

I've saved over $25k not buying cigs over the last 5-1/2 years. I'm not sure exactly how much I've spent on my collection of very nice mods (most of them made by ECF vendors), authentic atties, and a lifetime supply of nic, but I'm quite certain it wasn't anywhere near $25k.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
I have mixed feelings about pod systems, but I started vaping back when Green Smoke came out (terrible vape, but the idea of a small portable smoke replacement was appealing). Since then I've done the whole thing, more and more powerful mods, better tank (those early tanks were pretty awful by comparison with today), RDA's, RBA's, etc. The thing is today I am completely content with my various mods (with preference for my DNA 250 based mod, or YiHi SX450J chipset), and almost completely satisfied with my tanks, and RDAs. Problem is...

I still find myself backsliding at times, a real ciggy, and this is where pod systems and salt nics fill a spot for me. Normally I avoid tobacco flavored juices, but for use in a pod it's the opposite. I found a tobacco flavored juice I enjoy, and the experience is very close to the real thing. A few puffs on the pod and my nicotine craving is satisfied quickly.

I still enjoy my sub-ohm tank/rda mod setups for flavor, and the experience, but have increasingly been switching to 0mg juices. I am in no rush to give this up, I enjoy it ;) I use the pod system with salt nic to get my nicotine fix, and the other for the relaxation, flavor, enjoyment aspect of vaping.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I didn't stop smoking completely until I started using pod mods. Chucking clouds with an RDA and 6mg juice didn't work, even chain-vaping like a madman. I use the pods for those still hard to dispel cravings like that first .... in the morning. I will always need some sort of high-nic MTL device to stay clean.

...and I like variety. Besides the proprietary nature of pod systems, it's not any different that the thousands and thousands of different mods, RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs...etc, that we were inundated with over the last 6-8 years. Much of the same stuff with each manufacturer trying to claim a small piece of the market with different shapes and colors and lights but every so often a truly innovative idea would shine through. Likewise there's a lot of minds currently working on pod systems to come up with the "next big thing". I welcome it, and view it as the evolution of vaping.

I get bored with sameness, and enjoy trying new vaping stuff. The only real downside for me is finding something I really like and it becomes obsolete and/or impossible to find in six months.

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
I didn't stop smoking completely until I started using pod mods. Chucking clouds with an RDA and 6mg juice didn't work, even chain-vaping like a madman. I use the pods for those still hard to dispel cravings like that first .... in the morning. I will always need some sort of high-nic MTL device to stay clean.

...and I like variety. Besides the proprietary nature of pod systems, it's not any different that the thousands and thousands of different mods, RDAs, RDTAs, RTAs...etc, that we were inundated with over the last 6-8 years. Much of the same stuff with each manufacturer trying to claim a small piece of the market with different shapes and colors and lights but every so often a truly innovative idea would shine through. Likewise there's a lot of minds currently working on pod systems to come up with the "next big thing". I welcome it, and view it as the evolution of vaping.

I get bored with sameness, and enjoy trying new vaping stuff. The only real downside for me is finding something I really like and it becomes obsolete and/or impossible to find in six months.
same as me, been using mod n analog since 2007, (i can't vape high freebase nic), until three year ago, after getting my self eleaf icare with Naked 100 50mg nic salt, i stop analog from that day .....
whenever i have urge to smok, i take 2-3 puff nic salt, than chain vape on my mod/squonk ......

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    A setup can be small, replaceable battery, and MTL without being a proprietary and short-lived.

Are there any pods that can make that claim?

The Ijoy Diamond VPC can. Yes, you can change the battery, you can use refillable pods or any tank or RBA you want. Other than some limitations for sub ohm and super power, it fits the bill. Not as small and light as some pods though.

I keep seeing folks talk about pod mods but are there any other than the VPC? I only consider them pod mods if you can use all the different tanks and such but perhaps that is just me.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
    I will always need some sort of high-nic MTL device to stay clean.

This is me, only I still have 2 ego style clearomiser tanks rather than pods. Tried pod once and didn't really enjoy it. The bigger things I have I use mainly for flavour and enjoying vaping for what it is, but sometimes I need a quick hit.

Also the fact is when vaping at home when family are in, or visiting friends in their houses - sometimes it's not etiquette to be exhaling big clouds (and even MTL tanks like the zenith and N2 can fog up a room quite quickly). People mention stealth vaping quite a lot in reference to pods, but polite vaping should also be a thing to consider.

Also, although I am thoroughly unsold on pods, I really don't get the hate they get. They're obviously popular and so getting more people off ciggies and that's a good thing, right? I mean although I have nicer things now I actually quit with cig-a-like cartomisers and used them for a good few years before upgrading to better things. So I feel happy for people who like pod systems, good for them!

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    I also quit with a pod. I started with the Juul. My only complaint is that they only had 5% at the time. Now they also offer 3% but they didn't back then. Things would have gone much smoother for me if I had 3% Juul pods. The Suorin Air and Suorin Drop were my next pods. Man, the tight draw on the Drop is awesome with high nic! As I decreased my nicotine further, the Smok Infinix was my main vape with the Drop as a backup with higher nic. Pods were exactly what I needed to quit. Now I mostly use a 18650 battery mod and Kayfun Prime. But it's mainly because I wanted to replace the cotton and coils frequently for little cost. Vape from pods was fine for me.

I don't know why people feel the need to voice hate for pods (and even talk down about pod vapers). I think it's an unfortunate division in the community. Pod hate at a local vape shop delayed my switch to vaping by one week. The store owner trash talked the pods that I wanted and pushed sub ohm stuff that I didn't want then or now. They lost a sale. I walked out empty handed. But a week later I bought a Juul at a gas station on sale for around $15. Had the vape shop owner been more accommodating, I would have bought the Juul (at an inflated price) from him.

The pod haters are going to want pod vapers to be a part of the community when they need public support. It's counter productive to make them feel unwelcome.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
    May 9, 2015

Yep, this ^^^

I am not keen to get hooked on the pod/high-nic device either, but yea, chain vaping classic (i.e. freebase nicotine) juice wasn't doing it for me either. What is working for me is to keep the sub-ohm gear and low or no nicotine juice as my primary go to; hit the pod a few times here and there such as you wrote, in the morning. I've felt no need to go buy a pack since, where as without the high-nic MTL device I kept failing.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Stole this from @the wind ;)

proxy.jpg

• Informative
    Reactions: the wind
    Status