Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
A setup can be small, replaceable battery, and MTL without being a proprietary and short-lived.
Yes, they can. I vape svelte little single-18650 squonk mods with MTL RDAs on 'em that happily fit in in my shirt pocket.

Are there any pods that can make that claim?
Probably not. But let's face reality: Most people don't care about longevity. They want something that's as easy as opening a new pack of smokes and lighting one up, and they want the device to be inexpensive, even if the cost of the consumables ends up being much higher in the long run.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yep. I have no doubt that Juul will file a PMTA application on the day of the deadline, whenever that is. Whether any of the other manufacturers have the wherewithal to get that done and thus remain on the market is highly questionable.

did you see the new publishing of the PMTA guidelines?

Reactions: stols001

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Pods kind of met a need in the market. The compact design makes them easy enough to carry and do it discreetly. They also fit a huge need for MTL vapers. This segment of the market had hardly any innovation when the wattage race started. From to about 2014-2018, there were not many tanks or devices that catered to the MTL people. It was like the market said "hey, here's a Kayfun, we're out of here". Pods and Innokin with Phil and Dimitri started catering to a long forgotten bunch, the MTL crowd. Today there are new MTL stuff being designed, it seems like maybe as much or more than the DTL stuff. Pods might not be for everyone, but I suspect they are for a whole lot, or the market would not have exploded as much as it has.

Right now it does seem like they are going crazy with a new release of a pod every day. I have a feeling that will stop once a few form factors become the mainstay. Then there will be little tweaks to new products and the new stuff will slow, much like the tank and mod markets seem to have slowed nowadays.

Personally, I like pods. I can take them with me and keep in my shirt pocked without my pocket drooping and looking like crap. I use them like I did with mods, have many going with different flavors and different draws to cater to my mood during the day. I can do that without having them taking up every square inch of my office or home. Fill and put the bottles away instead of having to keep bottles with me everywhere I go as I would vape like crazy with the subohm setups. In any event, I ain't smoking so must be doing something right.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
The vaping community is famous for butchering the meaning of words. This used to drive me crazy, but I've come to accept nonsense like referring to a regulator board (which is composed of multiple chips and other electronic components) as a "chip", and a mass-produced power source as a "mod", despite the fact that nothing has been modified at all. ;)
In guitar land a tremolo device is actually a vibrato device, among other misnamed things. Been that way since 1954, so, meh, it is now what it is, a tremolo device for creating a vibrato effect.
A mod no one has modded is entrenched already in vape world but what else can you call it that is as short and concise and clearly understood by the majority.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
did you see the new publishing of the PMTA guidelines?
Sure did. I was hoping this administration's FDA would go easier on those requirements, but no. I think we're back to 99% of products currently on the market will never pass muster. Heck, 95%+ probably won't even try.

And then there's Judge Grimm's ruling that pulls the PMTA deadline forward again.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Pods will likely be around for quite a while. On a manufacturer standpoint, they are easy to mass produce and profit from. Most companies really don't care what it means to the user nearly as much as what their product does for their wallets.

Since you need to buy new pods often, the manufacturers make more money than they would if they put the same resources into making a new rebuildable atomizer. A pod likely even costs less to manufacture than coil heads for drop in coil tanks since they tend to use cheaper materials to make the pod. Since there is a larger profit margin for the manufacturer, they will push that product as hard as they can until the profit either drops off or is replaced by another product that has an even larger profit margin.

TLDR;
Pods are simply the most profitable right now, so we will continue to see wave after wave of them until that isn't true anymore.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sure did. I was hoping this administration's FDA would go easier on those requirements, but no. I think we're back to 99% of products currently on the market will never pass muster. Heck, 95%+ probably won't even try.

And then there's Judge Grimm's ruling that pulls the PMTA deadline forward again.

Yeah. Much of the Vaping Landscape is hanging on just how well this is received...

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-5014-b99d-a14238dd22dc/5d02f5cc3e886.pdf.pdf

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've resisted buying a pod mod. Tried one in a vape shop and it didn't win me over in the least.

The only way I might buy one would be for specific situations like when I have to stealth vape, but those situations are so few I doubt that I will ever buy one.

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
Pods are tiny. Pods are pocketable. Pods are cheaper to make and cheaper to buy. Pod systems turns consumers captive of the brand's who makes exclusive and not-interchangeable pods. And pods are great for smoking cessation - I don't know so many people who would like to change their regular cigarettes for monstrous mods and RTAs. So, sorry guys, they're here to stay.

And I really can't understand all this fuzz against it. Don't like pods? Don't buy them. I, personally, don't have pod systems as my main devices, but I like to see new models with so many different designs and technologies. The problem is when a lot of brands releases the same old .... without any innovation. But that's not the case with pods market yet.

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

even Juul will have to completely redesign.. everyone will have to. nothing currently marketed will pass that.

I don't see how a judge can force the FDA to act faster though when congress put it in the FDA's hand to regulate as they saw fit..

this seems to me to be more like just one more judge trying to legislate from the bench.

But your right.. I did have hope that the PMTA guidelines would allow for some of the devices we now use.. looks like that's a big fat no..

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
It is almost one year now, that the Chinese government, to avoid the build up of a debt bubble that they can't afford to have, made almost impossible for enterprises and individuals to borrow money outside the banking system.

This is when the vape manufacturers had to cut corners badly. Software development, the most expensive feature for the Chinese, was the first to suffer.

Any investment, even small, meant for improvements has been reduced to the bones, and they are mostly Re-using what they already have.

The pod systems fit perfectly for the time being.

But I believe the general low quality and the refusal to allow even a minimal standardisation of pod systems and components, are playing against them in the long term.

OK - they must keep manufacturing at all costs, but the results are barely acceptable in many cases.

They must change something, have some consideration for customers - I have an handful of new (paid £5 ea) but non functional spare pods - in front of me while I type this. An unwelcome net loss.

Unless something changes quickly, I will steer clear of pods in the future - small doesn't equate to toyish, in my book.

I find surreal that there is no means and no ways to speak to the guys who make our vape gear. I hope they see what the problems are, and find a solution.

vimagreg

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2019
It is almost one year now, that the Chinese government, to avoid the build up of a debt bubble that they can't afford to have, made almost impossible for enterprises and individuals to borrow money outside the banking system.

This is when the vape manufacturers had to cut corners badly. Software development, the most expensive feature for the Chinese, was the first to suffer.

Any investment, even small, meant for improvements has been reduced to the bones, and they are mostly Re-using what they already have.

The pod systems fit perfectly for the time being.

But I believe the general low quality and the refusal to allow even a minimal standardisation of pod systems and components, are playing against them in the long term.

OK - they must keep manufacturing at all costs, but the results are barely acceptable in many cases.

They must change something, have some consideration for customers - I have an handful of new (paid £5 ea) but non functional spare pods - in front of me while I type this. An unwelcome net loss.

Unless something changes quickly, I will steer clear of pods in the future - small doesn't equate to toyish, in my book.

I find surreal that there is no means and no ways to speak to the guys who make our vape gear. I hope they see what the problems are, and find a solution.

Chinese companies aren't universally know to listen or, even, open communication bridges with its consumers. Look at this very forum: there are dozens of vape companies out there but only some of them are represented (very well, indeed) here. Where are all the rest? And where can we write our thoughts about their releases? I think you just found the point here.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
even Juul will have to completely redesign.. everyone will have to. nothing currently marketed will pass that.

I don't see how a judge can force the FDA to act faster though when congress put it in the FDA's hand to regulate as they saw fit..

this seems to me to be more like just one more judge trying to legislate from the bench.

But your right.. I did have hope that the PMTA guidelines would allow for some of the devices we now use.. looks like that's a big fat no..
Legislation from the bench is why they’re called “the judicial branch” it’s... agh.

• Love
Reactions: Zazie

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Maybe I missed something, but what specific requirement(s) in there do you think the existing Juul product doesn't meet?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
And the next pod innovation will be ?..............Well ultimately, you know what'll happen right !?, pod manufacturers will do what the printer industry does. They'll start installing integrated circuit chips on the pods. So they'll sell you the sophisticated pod system for peanuts knowing they'll make a bundle selling you refills.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
And the next pod innovation will be ?

v2-cigs.jpg

:evil: :lol:

:nun:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've resisted buying a pod mod. Tried one in a vape shop and it didn't win me over in the least.

The only way I might buy one would be for specific situations like when I have to stealth vape, but those situations are so few I doubt that I will ever buy one.

I'm someone who does end up in stealth situations or running around without the ability to carry a usual mod, even the smaller ones. A pod fills that need for me. Is it as good? No. But they're a lot better than they used to be.

As to expense, a pod seems to run $2-3 these days and get a week or two of use. That's about the same as the expense of drop in coils.

I'm glad they're on the market, have improved, and offer more choice. The fact so many models are released simply means everyone is fighting for market share, and most of those out there will be history. Then again, the same can be said for an assortment of subohm tanks out there from smaller manufacturers as well.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Legislation from the bench is why they’re called “the judicial branch” it’s... agh.

they are the judicial branch - not the legislative branch (that's congress) - the judicial branch is there to make sure laws that are legislated by the congress don't run afoul of the constitution and already existing law.

Judges don't represent us, they are supposed to represent the constitution, congress is who represents us and passes law. Its called separation of powers..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread