Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
@Rossum

Additionally, to enable the FDA to assess the risks of a battery to be used in a particular product, the agency is also recommending that applications include, among other things, information on: amperage, voltage, wattage, battery type (chemistry), whether the battery is consumer-replaceable, testing certificates for any voluntary electrical standards for the battery or device—including UL 8139, the recently published, first-ever standard specifically for ENDS products—and under- or over-voltage protections, as well as plans for addressing the likelihood of use and foreseeable misuse leading to overheating, fire and explosion during operation, charging, storage and transportation for distribution.

im taking this to mean they are encouraging the UL certification for e-cigarettes

The FDA is also exploring product standards that could help prevent injuries from known tobacco product risks, including a potential product standard to prevent "vape" battery explosions.

FDA finalizes guidance for premarket tobacco product applications for electronic nicotine delivery systems as part of commitment to continuing a strong oversight of e-cigarettes

Last edited:

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
The only way I might buy one would be for specific situations like when I have to stealth vape, but those situations are so few I doubt that I will ever buy one.

If you ever find yourself admitted to a "We Confiscate ALL E-Cigarettes" Hospital...you'll be QUITE happy when you run across the inconspicuous MINIFIT you have slipped into your gown pocket...

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
If you ever find yourself admitted to a "We Confiscate ALL E-Cigarettes" Hospital...you'll be QUITE happy when you run across the inconspicuous MINIFIT you have slipped into your gown pocket...

I think you're going to have to find a more discreet hiding place.

:lol:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'm someone who does end up in stealth situations or running around without the ability to carry a usual mod, even the smaller ones. A pod fills that need for me. Is it as good? No. But they're a lot better than they used to be.

As to expense, a pod seems to run $2-3 these days and get a week or two of use. That's about the same as the expense of drop in coils.

I'm glad they're on the market, have improved, and offer more choice. The fact so many models are released simply means everyone is fighting for market share, and most of those out there will be history. Then again, the same can be said for an assortment of subohm tanks out there from smaller manufacturers as well.

In all fairness, if I hadn't found a tiny mod that fits the need for me, the pod would get much more play. In such a case, I'd probably be inclined to grab something regulated, such as @gerrymi's betrothed... :laugh:

I expect nobody takes me seriously anyway (at least I'd hope not), but I'll clearly state (just in case) that I'm just here having some fun. :blush:

Life is short, and laughter counts (for me, at least).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Gawd! I am so sick of pod devices. A new one every frickin' day!

Hey, China, you wanna convert me to a pod system? Make one that takes 14500 batteries and comes with an RBA. And some sort of universal pod that will fit more than one device... kinda like the 510 will fit different tanks on different mods. Then, and only then, will I consider a pod system.

As a recent quitter (17 months ago), I'm so glad there were no pod systems back then. What helped me quit and staying quit was the reliability and capacity of the equipment I used. I don't think for me, pods could've provided that.

The only pods I do have now, are ones I've won. And I use one of those, the innokin eqs for work vaping (on the farm) due to it's tiny size.

Life is short, and laughter counts

Agree completely, laughter is priceless ;)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It is almost one year now, that the Chinese government, to avoid the build up of a debt bubble that they can't afford to have, made almost impossible for enterprises and individuals to borrow money outside the banking system.

This is when the vape manufacturers had to cut corners badly. Software development, the most expensive feature for the Chinese, was the first to suffer.

Any investment, even small, meant for improvements has been reduced to the bones, and they are mostly Re-using what they already have.

The pod systems fit perfectly for the time being.

But I believe the general low quality and the refusal to allow even a minimal standardisation of pod systems and components, are playing against them in the long term.

OK - they must keep manufacturing at all costs, but the results are barely acceptable in many cases.

They must change something, have some consideration for customers - I have an handful of new (paid £5 ea) but non functional spare pods - in front of me while I type this. An unwelcome net loss.

Unless something changes quickly, I will steer clear of pods in the future - small doesn't equate to toyish, in my book.

I find surreal that there is no means and no ways to speak to the guys who make our vape gear. I hope they see what the problems are, and find a solution.
    To be fair, that “outside the system” lending was often from some seriously shady quasi bank like organizations that had numerous problems. They may have gone at it too hard though.

I actually sort of like the Chinese governmental system. It’s got some serious problem areas in practice, but conceptually is pretty interesting.

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    A pod mod is the most basic mtl device one can get. In terms of being a great vape, it's a 3 compared to what a 9 or 10 could be in a small rebuildable mtl rta. I have mtl set ups that are very close in size and weight to a pod, but so much better if you had the time and patience to do it.....and the waste, pod mods are not environmentally friendly and all those empty pods and disposable mods are just plastic that will be a potential issue....but if they help folks to stop smoking, then perhaps they are doing some good

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    @Rossum
    im taking this to mean they are encouraging the UL certification for e-cigarettes
    Is there something that makes you think that the existing Juul battery/device won't meet the standards for UL certification?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Is there something that makes you think that the existing Juul battery/device won't meet the standards for UL certification?

I was under the impression they didn't have UL certification right now..

which would mean any redesigning necessary for that certification, in order to submit a UL certified battery for approval...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I was under the impression they didn't have UL certification right now..

which would mean any redesigning necessary for that certification, in order to submit a UL certified battery for approval...
    Dunno if they do or not, or if they've even submitted to UL yet. But if Joytech can get a UL approval for a device (and they have) then surely Juul can too. :)

ETA: There's an interesting Catch-22 with that for Juul. Their existing "battery" design pre-dates the publication of the UL 8139 standard. So it may indeed need some revision or re-design to meet that standard. But due to the FDA's "No new products after 8/8/2016" rule, they can't introduce a new or revised battery until after it's gotten a PMTA approval. So Juul may very well have a new battery in the wings that they've gotten UL's stamp of approval on, that they will submit to the FDA for PMTA approval, but they can't sell that new battery just yet.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2014
    central Virginia
    [/QUOTE]'Probably not. But let's face reality: Most people don't care about longevity. They want something that's as easy as opening a new pack of smokes and lighting one up, and they want the device to be inexpensive, even if the cost of the consumables ends up being much higher in the long run.[/QUOTE]

This

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Good thing they don't take your temperature the old fashioned way anymore.

:thumb: :thumbs: :lol:

winner-winner-chicken-dinner-dinda-seleniaratri.jpg

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
    Jan 13, 2014
    central Virginia
    Don't like pods because they discontinue, hard to find parts etc?
    Try getting the right stuff for Smok tanks. Holy crap, there's a thousand different versions that have different threading along with any other reason they can think of to make it impractical to buy drop ins for .
    My e8 hasn't given me any spitback in the heat of the workday whereas my tanks are useless unless I blow out before inhaling when it's in the upper 90s at work. Environmental control is not an option at my job but choosing vapor or tobacco is and when the stress is on the last thing I'm gonna do is baby a device because it's spitting raw juice into my throat .
    There's too many choices for whatever your vape of choice is but that's NOT a bad thing considering the alternative if there were no choices , which will become reality if the 4th branch of government gets its way.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread