polyPROPYLENE vs polyCARBONATE tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LKSkang

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just want to start off with saying, I AM NOT AN EXPERT NOR A CHEMIST, so if I am wrong, please correct me.

I want a tank that will not break with certain flavors (cinnamon), does not cost an arm/leg (lil' mama), is easy to maintain (clean and dry burn), is easy to fill (no syringes), and looks good on my Joye eGo... Is that too much to ask?!! lol

Anyway, the little research I've done shows that the VISION EGO CLEAROMIZER to fit almost every category EXCEPT the breaking part (pretty big one). I've been rotating 3 of them and I don't use the flavor that cause them to crack, but I don't like being limited to these flavors. I love the screw on tip and the ability to dry burn without having to remove any parts (except the tip). The price is reasonable too.

I saw that smoktech makes their DCTs out of POLYPROPYLENE while the tanks that crack are made of POLYCARBONATE. After a little wiki reading I found out that polycarbonate doesn't react well to certain chemicals (already known fact from ECF). The explanation I read was that any other plastic is hard to make the cone shape with is that it's not as versatile and more costly. This is why I wanted to point out that smoktech has made cone shape DCT with polypropylene and it's not expensive.

I haven't tried a dual coil but I do know they are not as quick wicking, able to dry burn, or have a screw tip (I really like this feature ;) )

Anyway, it's a little long-winded and a bit of ranting but ultimately this is my point:

1) VISION, PLEASE MAKE YOUR EGO CLEAROMIZERS WITH POLYPROPYLENE (it only makes sence to use a polyPROPYLENE tank for my PROPYLENE glycol juice ;) )

2) If you're looking for a tank that won't crack with flavors make sure it's NOT made of polycarbonate (smoktech tanks are made of polypropylene as far as I know).

Last edited:

LKSkang

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The SmokTech DCT PRO tanks are great I have several of them. I think they were around $8 vs. $4 for the polycarbon tanks.

I've never used a dual coil carto. From what I've read most ppl go through bout 10-20ml before replacing them while clearomizers last longer. How much do you usually put yours through?

Also, can you maintain them in any way? I think I read about boiling them.

brandondparris

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2011
Alabama
I don't use the dual coils. I ordered a pack with my first tank and I was not impressed with them. I use Kanger XLs. Without a tank they would last 15-20 mL, with a tank about 30 mL. They are cheap enough I just throw them out when they get gunked up. I think they are around $7 for a 5 pack. I mostly get my hardware from myvaporstore.com.

Freddie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2012
The NETWORK
I just want to start off with saying, I AM NOT AN EXPERT NOR A CHEMIST, so if I am wrong, please correct me.

I want a tank that will not break with certain flavors (cinnamon), does not cost an arm/leg (lil' mama), is easy to maintain (clean and dry burn), is easy to fill (no syringes), and looks good on my Joye eGo... Is that too much to ask?!! lol

Anyway, the little research I've done shows that the VISION EGO CLEAROMIZER to fit almost every category EXCEPT the breaking part (pretty big one). I've been rotating 3 of them and I don't use the flavor that cause them to crack, but I don't like being limited to these flavors. I love the screw on tip and the ability to dry burn without having to remove any parts (except the tip). The price is reasonable too.

I saw that smoktech makes their DCTs out of POLYPROPYLENE while the tanks that crack are made of POLYCARBONATE. After a little wiki reading I found out that polycarbonate doesn't react well to certain chemicals (already known fact from ECF). The explanation I read was that any other plastic is hard to make the cone shape with is that it's not as versatile and more costly. This is why I wanted to point out that smoktech has made cone shape DCT with polypropylene and it's not expensive.

I haven't tried a dual coil but I do know they are not as quick wicking, able to dry burn, or have a screw tip (I really like this feature ;) )

Anyway, it's a little long-winded and a bit of ranting but ultimately this is my point:

1) VISION, PLEASE MAKE YOUR EGO CLEAROMIZERS WITH POLYPROPYLENE (it only makes sence to use a polyPROPYLENE tank for my PROPYLENE glycol juice ;) )

2) If you're looking for a tank that won't crack with flavors make sure it's NOT made of polycarbonate (smoktech tanks are made of polypropylene as far as I know).
IMO, the PHINIAC tanks are hands down the BEST on the VAPING market today! You don't have to worry about CRACKING or LEAKAGE because they(PHINIAC tanks) are made of a thick grade of PYREX glass tubing, unlike 90% to 95% of market that uses POLY-CARBONATE tubing! Don't get me wrong because I do own 2-Smok Tech 3.5ml slim tanks and they work fabulous, but POLY-CARBONATE is NOT friendly when using Banana or Cinnamon flavored e-liquids or any other e-liquids that contain high acidity! PHINIAC tanks because they are made of PYREX is friendly with ALL and I mean ALL e-liquids! Check them out! You wont be disappointed!

phiniac.com :D

LKSkang

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
here's a update... i've been using the new v3 vision ego stardusts and they are pretty good.

i've tried cola from joyetech that may crack tanks but cola was always a maybe when it came to that.

but that being said, they do advertise that they've changed their plastic materials to withstand DIY juice.

another bonus, longer wicks means no tilting, and there are no pressure cracks in any of the 6 i've ordered so far.

they do sometimes have airflow issues because of the plastic on the inside of the bottom skirt which can be fixed by either drilling a 1/16 hole on the metal skirt or get yourself a ev torch which has no ego threads so there is no airflow issue.

i've attached a photo to show you what i mean about the the battery differences (which also has a LED indicator for battery life remaining; blue 100-75%, green 75-50%, yellow 50-25%, red 25-0% and a white LED flashlight when it's in the off mode).

one last note, in the picture, you'll notice a analog carton that has a power logo and it's called "i switch" pretty funny how even analogs are trying to look like ecigs now lol

photo.jpg

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
Oh no that's sad :(
I was hoping I was safe because it is polypropylene!

Keekers, if it is indeed polypropylene you should have no problems. Smoktech makes both polycarbonate and polypropylene tanks. Their older ones are polycarbonate and I don't really know when they made the switch.

If your tank is a milky white color, it's most likely polypropylene, the polycarbonate ones are clear, like plexiglass.

elb7

Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Massachusetts
I don't use the dual coils. I ordered a pack with my first tank and I was not impressed with them. I use Kanger XLs. Without a tank they would last 15-20 mL, with a tank about 30 mL. They are cheap enough I just throw them out when they get gunked up. I think they are around $7 for a 5 pack. I mostly get my hardware from myvaporstore.com.

I like Kangers - but I don't like punching my own cartos. I just haven't gotten the hang of it. they get warped and hard to install.

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Keekers, if it is indeed polypropylene you should have no problems. Smoktech makes both polycarbonate and polypropylene tanks. Their older ones are polycarbonate and I don't really know when they made the switch.

If your tank is a milky white color, it's most likely polypropylene, the polycarbonate ones are clear, like plexiglass.

Thank you :) I feel better! I can stop wrapping my mod in a washcloth now.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been using these DCT pro tanks for about a month and love them 510 Pro DCTank Combo. I got some from that website, and a couple from Accessories - PBDragon.com. Both are polypropylene (syringe material) with metal end caps...much higher quality parts than the polycarbonate models. One distributor sent single-holed cartos and the other triple-holed. If offered the choice, choose the appropriate ohm carto to match your battery voltage (3.7 or 5 +).

I have both the 3.5 ml and the 5 ml tanks, same length, different diameters. Have both the frosted and the colored. Note that the colors are not as intense as the displays. I use different colored cherry vape ming drip tips to differentiate my favorite juices.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Recently got a couple of the inexpensive pyrex tanks that Valley View Vapes has begun selling. For around $12-14 you can get a 4ml or 7ml pyrex tank. These are grommet tanks (use large grommets in place of endcaps) and are extremely sturdy on your mods. Both of these are 7 ml.

View attachment 115962 View attachment 115963

Last edited:

GinnyDragon54

Verified Member
Nov 9, 2012
Beloit, KS
Someone told me that Pyrex will not crack/melt/warp/otherwise be negatively affected by any flavor e-juice. You're gonna pay a little more for it, but it'll be worth it in the long run. Try IBTanked - Get Tanked With Us! Also make sure you get stainless steel caps and drip tip. DO NOT GET ACRYLIC ANYTHING!!!!!! It will melt with certain juices, especially cinnamon based juice.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
... DO NOT GET ACRYLIC ANYTHING!!!!!! It will melt with certain juices, especially cinnamon based juice.
Interesting most of the foreign Genisis builds always used acrylic tanks.

BTW the new buzzword in tanks is PMMA, you see it mentioned in some rather pricy offerings.

Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) is a transparent thermoplastic, often used as a lightweight or shatter-resistant alternative to glass. It is sometimes called acrylic glass... and was first brought to market in 1933 by the Rohm and Haas Company, under the trademark Plexiglas. It has since been sold under many different names, including Lucite and Perspex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread