Wasting money on polycarbonate tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffany83

Mar 1, 2013
CO
Hi! I have just joined as a new member though I've been using ECF as a resource for awhile... I am having trouble finding a complete list of tanks made from polypropylene (I know about the harmful juice list which is awesome). A lot of the online vendors don't even seem to know for sure about the material the tanks they sell are made of. I have gone through 5 clearomizers/tanks, have heard that the Smoktech UDCTs are polypropylene but then I read again on another vendor site that they are actually polycarbonate... and are all the Smoktech tanks polypropylene or just this one? just super frustrated and sick of wasting my money on tanks that will be destroyed. :/ I also bought a metal vivi nova tank which was cool (except kind of hard to refill) and the plastic tip melted. I know there are glass tanks out there but wanting to buy from my local vendor. So far I have destroyed these:

Vision Stardust
CE4
Vivi Nova metal tank

I have been using 100% vg but have found that they are really harmful in any tanks i've tried so now I'm using mostly PG formula which I don't really like that much... any info would be helpful! thanks

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Check out IBTanks and Valley View Vapes for cheaper pyrex tanks. Not only can you use any juice without worry of cracking or leeching but they dont impart any flavor at all into your juice.

Phiniac tanks at Phiniac.com are also great tanks though a little more pricey. Hope that helps or least gets you started.

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
Texas Tuff Tanks™ - Tuff PRO3

You can tell by the cloudiness its polypropylene, and they mention it in the description. And hard to beat that price.

But I'm slightly confused by this:

I have been using 100% vg but have found that they are really harmful in any tanks i've tried so now I'm using mostly PG formula which I don't really like that much... any info would be helpful! thanks

I don't believe VG or PG are caustic towards, well, anything really. I'm not sure if thats what your saying or I'm just reading it wrong.

I don't vape caustic flavors, so I've never experienced a ruined tank. But that is just going to show that PG/VG aren't the cause of melting/cracking/ruining plastics.

tiffany83

Mar 1, 2013
CO
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-33.html

Oh yeah, sorry. This may be due to my lack of knowledge and experience with the VG... I have only ordered it from Vaporrenu (which you'll notice several of their flavors are on this list). They are also the only juices that have ruined my tanks. There's an additive (triactetin) that is supposedly added in a lot of VG juices which is on this list... plus I like the citrus flavors which also ruin the tanks...

SPM3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
North Fort Myers, Florida
Hey there Tiffany,

Welcome to ECF! :D

I too was looking for tanks that were inexpensive, but able to handle most juices. I started looking for polypropylene tanks after reading one of Baditude's post. I feel that he is the yoda of cartomizer tanks on this forum, but I digress, hehe. I found and bought two of these tubes:
Pro DCTank Tube | TheVapeStore.com®
I use them as my main tanks, one is filled with Fire and Ice (Cinnamon intensive juice) and the other is filled with a butterscotch/vanilla combo (to go with my coffee in the morning and evenings)

So far after a week or so, no signs of cracking on either tank.
I hope this helps you, and keep up the vaping :vapor:

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ices-flavors-crack-tanks-ce2s-clearos-33.html

Oh yeah, sorry. This may be due to my lack of knowledge and experience with the VG... I have only ordered it from Vaporrenu (which you'll notice several of their flavors are on this list). They are also the only juices that have ruined my tanks. There's an additive (triactetin) that is supposedly added in a lot of VG juices which is on this list... plus I like the citrus flavors which also ruin the tanks...

VG will not harm tanks. If there are additives that will crack tanks, they're part of the flavorings, not the VG base.

Whether a particular juice will be harmful to your tanks (and just to be clear, it sounds like what you're looking for are clearos, and not tanks, per se), it's all about the flavorings you're choosing and has nothing to do with the amount of VG in them.

Unless, of course, your problem is with them gumming up, since VG is a bit thicker than PG... but it's totally unrelated to any harm you may be experiencing to the plastic.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
yeah, user error in that I had no information about certain liquids melting/cracking polycarbonate plastics...

If your drip tips are melting.. something is really wrong. That part does not even sit in the juice. And really, I have pc tanks that have been holding butterscotch, cinnamon/clove and another with orange extract (all "tank crackers") for weeks with no issues, other than I can't keep enough juice in them as they are the main stay juices in my house. Starting out with clearo's didn't cause an issue with the flavors for me or my wife either.. Currently we both use either smoketech tanks or cheapo Health Cabin tanks (my HC tank is on week 7 with orange extract in it..).

Something is missing from the data...

Datalux

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
Sweden
Thanks! I may look into those in the future, but right now I can't afford one... :) and the IB Tanks look a little to DIY for me... and I'm not sure what I would attach them to... :unsure: Just looking for an inexpensive/safer alternative to the polycarbonates. Or maybe a good link to 100% VG juices that won't destroy the polycarbonate tanks? idk...

I've used 100% VG (Boba's Bounty) and several variations in between and never had an issue with polycarbonate tanks.

eric1973

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2013
Dayton
I'm seeing much about tanks... (for now) I am using a Vaporous King Storm 2.0 (ego lookalike), and have been curious about the plastic compound that the cartridges are made of. I called Vaporous King, and customer service was not helpful. The guy on the phone had no idea.

If anyone knows for sure, this would be helpful, as embarrassing as it is not to have figured this out on my own.

I'll be upgrading soon to a variable-voltage mod... and a carto-tank. ;)

tiffany83

Mar 1, 2013
CO
If your drip tips are melting.. something is really wrong. That part does not even sit in the juice. And really, I have pc tanks that have been holding butterscotch, cinnamon/clove and another with orange extract (all "tank crackers") for weeks with no issues, other than I can't keep enough juice in them as they are the main stay juices in my house. Starting out with clearo's didn't cause an issue with the flavors for me or my wife either.. Currently we both use either smoketech tanks or cheapo Health Cabin tanks (my HC tank is on week 7 with orange extract in it..).

Something is missing from the data...

hmm... i don't know then. I filled the tank according to the site (myvaporstore). [shrug] ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread